Traditional Marriage...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveB

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a question. Why would providing equal benefits to gay couples (ie. marriage benefits, right to make medical visits and decisions, family insurance, taxes, inheritance, etc) be a threat to "traditional marriage?" wouldn't it strengthen the institution of marriage? Seriously, I don't get it. Does being more inclusive somehow harm marriage? I mean we are talking about people who want to make a commitment, share their lives, celebrate their union, provide a stable home and protections for their children..all the reasons people get married...why would that be a problem?

Because when you go back in time you will discover marriage belongs to God. This happen long before there was any civil government. The government(s) came along later and wanted to control the legal issues of people's lives. There are absolutely no legal issues with married in the eyes of God, only that a man and a woman be join together forever and don't commit adultery. Of course, the other nine commandments also apply to each of them as individuals. Yes, you can be join together under government regulations or married in the eyes of God.

Because when you go back in time you will discover marriage belongs to God. This happen long before there was any civil government. The government(s) came along later and wanted to control the legal issues of people's lives. There are absolutely no legal issues with married in the eyes of God, only that a man and a woman be join together forever and don't commit adultery. Of course, the other nine commandments also apply to each of them as individuals. Yes, you can be join together under government regulations or married in the eyes of God.

I disagree with you because we don't share same beliefs as you do.

I just see your belief as foreign.

Ok...so are you saying that it's ok for gay couples to be married in the eyes of god? Or that it's ok for gay couples to be married in a civil ceremony, but not a god ceremony. Sorry...I'm not following you.

Dude, short answer, it's not affecting any heterosexual unions. In fact, I don't think people, any people, should be discriminated against, especially by government, at all.

However, I wish to pose a question, how do you intend to regulate it? Marriage itself(something that is more customary than legal), because it requires a license, is regulated. So, how do you want to differentiate people who are straight and living together from those who are gay and want to get married? After all, there is a lot of money at stake benefit wise, right? It is not easy to legislate.

If it were up to me, I'd make all those benefits available to all people who, married or not, are will to pay for it.

Because when you go back in time you will discover marriage belongs to God.
go back in time? how?

This happen long before there was any civil government. The government(s) came along later and wanted to control the legal issues of people's lives. There are absolutely no legal issues with married in the eyes of God, only that a man and a woman be join together forever and don't commit adultery. Of course, the other nine commandments also apply to each of them as individuals. Yes, you can be join together under government regulations or married in the eyes of God.
thou shalt not judge. you are already judging homosexual people. quite a sin you've there.

I think it's best if we leave it to God to decide, not you.

I guess you would regulate it the way you regulate straight marriage...a license. There will always be someone gaming the system...alot of people get married for the wrong reasons. Marriage is as much a responsibility as a privilege.

I honestly don't understand what the problem is...more married people make the institution stronger...no?

go back in time? how?

thou shalt not judge. you are already judging homosexual people. quite a sin you've there.

What a novel idea...letting god make the judgement regarding "his" word!!! Kidding aside...I agree 100%. Who are we mere mortals to interpret the word?

Ok, that's a bit tongue in cheek, but I agree with the sentiment. Well said Jiro.

How? I thinks it's self evident, but more successful marriageS (or any institution) would seem to make the institution stronger. But, my original question was how does gay marriage weaken or harm traditional marriage. I honestly don't get it.

I guess you would regulate it the way you regulate straight marriage...a license. There will always be someone gaming the system...alot of people get married for the wrong reasons. Marriage is as much a responsibility as a privilege.

I honestly don't understand what the problem is...more married people make the institution stronger...no?

Not a bad answer, but it doesn't answer the question. Those bad marriages, while they take money out of the system, are legal. I do wish there was a test for bad marriages, but you can't regulate stupidity, at least not yet.

If you want an answer pertaining to opposition, it's more religious than technical. Good luck with finding an answer there...

You're right, I probably won't get an answer, but maybe I'll understand why!

If you are pretending to quote the Bible, you've missed the mark. There is no "thou shalt not judge." The Bible says that believers are to judge. It only says don't judge without being prepared to be equally judged. That is, make sure your life is in order before judging others.

Christians are supposed to judge, within biblical guidelines. In fact, Christians were chastised in the New Testament for not doing enough judging. There are different standards for judging those "without" (non-believers) and those "within" (believers). The judgment standards are harsher for believers.

The one exception is that Christians aren't supposed to judge whether or not someone can enter Heaven. That's left up to God.

God already decided, and He has told us.

...I honestly don't understand what the problem is...more married people make the institution stronger...no?
Only if by "more married people" you mean one man married to one woman couples.

Show me one place in the bible that says homosexuals shall not marry. Oh, I shouldn't even ask...another can of worms altogether...interpreting the bible. Why would god have a problem with two people committing to each other? Isn't the bible man's interpretation of gods word?

I'm ducking now.

Again, where in the bible does it say one man and one woman? That's our societies ever outdated interpretation of marriage.

If you are pretending to quote the Bible, you've missed the mark. There is no "thou shalt not judge." The Bible says that believers are to judge. It only says don't judge without being prepared to be equally judged. That is, make sure your life is in order before judging others.

Christians are supposed to judge, within biblical guidelines. In fact, Christians were chastised in the New Testament for not doing enough judging. There are different standards for judging those "without" (non-believers) and those "within" (believers). The judgment standards are harsher for believers.

The one exception is that Christians aren't supposed to judge whether or not someone can enter Heaven. That's left up to God.

God already decided, and He has told us.
No I am not quoting Bible. You missed the point. I believe many followers are not in position to judge others because they are fallible. People's understanding of Bible is always fallible.

Many Christians as seen in news holding up hateful banners have repeatedly judged homosexuals as sinful beings and they believe that they will go to hell.

Considering that a third of all teen suicides are gays, why can't people just accept them for who they are? | Chastity.com
In the words of mother Teresa, who called homosexuals "friends of Jesus," she said "Jesus loves you always, even when you don't feel worthy. When not accepted by others, even by yourself sometimes, He is the one who always accepts you. Only believe, you are precious to him. Bring all you are suffering to His feet, only open your heart to be loved by Him as you are. He will do the rest."

Mother Teresa loved those who had same-sex attractions, but she still called them to purity. In fact, it is precisely because she loved them that she called them to practice chastity. It is a false form of compassion to lead others to think that they can find fulfillment by living outside the will of God.

again... leave the judging to God, not humans because humans are fallible and flawed. they are not ready to judge.

How? I thinks it's self evident, but more successful marriageS (or any institution) would seem to make the institution stronger. But, my original question was how does gay marriage weaken or harm traditional marriage. I honestly don't get it.
If you don't believe in God and His Word, then it will never make sense to you. God established marriage for man and woman. He also established it as a type (example) for the relationship of Jesus Christ (the bridegroom) and His church (the bride). By destroying the marriage relationship, man attempts to destroy the type of the Christ/Church relationship.

In the second chapter of Genesis, God said, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

That's rather specific.

Again, where in the bible does it say one man and one woman? That's our societies ever outdated interpretation of marriage.
Genesis 2:24

If you don't believe in God and His Word, then it will never make sense to you. God established marriage for man and woman. He also established it as a type (example) for the relationship of Jesus Christ (the bridegroom) and His church (the bride). By destroying the marriage relationship, man attempts to destroy the type of the Christ/Church relationship.
that sounds like divorce and adultery.... not homosexuality.

In the second chapter of Genesis, God said, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

That's rather specific.
still doesn't say anything about prohibiting homosexuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back