To introduce myself

Some guy

Reaction score
I found this site as I am profoundly deaf and would like to get more involved in ASL and participate in communities for the deaf.

I took an ASL class, but it was a little distant from where I live, and there was no opportunity to develop any practice socials with the other people in the class. Everyone lived in all different directions from the school. And quite frankly, I think I was the only real deaf person in the class.

The doctor talks to me about a CI at least on one side, but I have bad vertigo now, and am really reluctant about risking it getting worse.

So, I hope to learn something from this site (with other people that are in a similar situation).

Nice to meet you! My doc is talking about CIs too. I hope to learn experiences from others on this list.

Welcome!

Whereabouts are you located? (It's ok to be vague if you prefer.) many of us know of d/Deaf communities all over so maybe someone here can point you in a direction to connect.

Nice to meet you! My doc is talking about CIs too. I hope to learn experiences from others on this list.
I'll be right behind you, also reading about them...It is a serious decision to make..

I'm one of those guys with a crew cut, which is great for grooming (basically you just have to look in the mirror in the morning to make sure it hasn't grown too much).

But thinking of a CI...now I'm thinking I better let my hair grow back in case I do decide to go that route......But I guess that's the least of the decision points.

Welcome!

Whereabouts are you located? (It's ok to be vague if you prefer.) many of us know of d/Deaf communities all over so maybe someone here can point you in a direction to connect.

Thank you, I am in northern Westchester County in NY

Thank you, I am in northern Westchester County in NY
So you're near Long Island. Let's see who else responds here that could direct you to meetups. There are bound to be many near the NYC area.

So you're near Long Island. Let's see who else responds here that could direct you to meetups. There are bound to be many near the NYC area.
Yes, but commuting from here to Long Island or even NYC is a bit of a hassle.

I don't know where you are located, but in the NYC/Long Island area, commuting is a big problem these days...The trains are a disaster, and automobile traffic is horrendous. Last week I drove to NYC (about 40 miles from my house to destination in NYC) and it took more than 2 hours each way.

And I try not to go to NYC at night, as parking alone is about $30, and though there is decent commuter train service from where I live, at night (after about 10 P.M.) service is scarce, and it is a long dark walk from the train station - We do not have sidewalks.

Thank you for your attention to the matter...I am hoping to perhaps link into, or even start, some type of get-togethers up in this area.

Back