Time to start thinking about college..yikes!

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
I'm still a junior.. But i have about 2 weeks left until school is over for the summer. I want to major in graphic design since I'm really good at it :D I'm graduating in 2012.

I was considering Gallaudet, SAA (School of Advertising Arts) which relies in Kettering, OH, Columbus College of Art & Design (also in ohio), University of Cinncinatti, Franklin University and thats about it and i'm still thinking of schols where I might be interested in and I need more ideas of which colleges i might be wanting to go to, and I thought I come here to see if you have any ideas of what college might interest me.

My grades are okay... I'm about average. But right now my Chemistry grade and Math grade sucks, I have a D- in math and a D+ in chemistry. I'm trying to get those grades boosted up. But My english class: an B+, History: A+, Multi-Media: B-. I don't know what my GPA is, The last time I saw my GPA was my first semester report card and it was a 2.57. But I don't know what my updated GPA is right now. Math and Chemistry is probably one of my hardest classes. But I've been asking a bunch of questions in class to actually understand the concept. I also received old tests from my math teacher to practice for finals before summer begins.

In Ohio we have to pass the OGT (Ohio Graduation Test) So far I passed the reading, writing and social studies section of the OGT. I only have to pass 2 more sections: Math and Chemistry (not a surprise..)

But I was wondering what does Gallaudet accept in GPA overall? I went on their website and I couldn't find anything about it. Do you have any tips? Or any other information that I need to know?

Thanks!

Woo, go Class of 2012. I'm a junior too! :]
Anyway, those are great colleges. If your major is graphic design, you should think about RIT [Rochester Institute of Technology] as they have a separate college NTID (National Techinical(?) Institute for the Deaf). They have loads of technological majors. It'd be cool for you to go there.

Gallaudet mostly depends on your ACT score. I think you'd have to get a sixteen to get in or something like that. Your GPA isn't so bad, especially with those As and Bs. Gallaudet is really flexible. I know some people who kept failing a class or two but did great in others and got in.

Woo, go Class of 2012. I'm a junior too! :]
Anyway, those are great colleges. If your major is graphic design, you should think about RIT [Rochester Institute of Technology] as they have a separate college NTID (National Techinical(?) Institute for the Deaf). They have loads of technological majors. It'd be cool for you to go there.

Gallaudet mostly depends on your ACT score. I think you'd have to get a sixteen to get in or something like that. Your GPA isn't so bad, especially with those As and Bs. Gallaudet is really flexible. I know some people who kept failing a class or two but did great in others and got in.

really? Because I was considering Gallaudet, I had to think about it for awhile. Because of the whole clique thing and my grades,etc. My parents don't think they can pay for the tuition there either, But i'm looking around for scholarships too. Btw, is RIT in new york? Me and my hearing friend was talking about that. I couldn't remember if RIT is in New York. I was kind of paranoid about my 2 bad classes because i was nervous about not being able to get into any school.

I think a good idea might be to contact St. Rita's, and see if they might have any suggestions for good dhh friendly colleges.
I totally would look into NTID!
You want to look into colleges that are dhh friednly and that have a semi large population of dhh students for socialization etc
One of the mistakes I made was going to a hearing college with crappy Dhh (although good LD) services....I didn't have a lot of major issues socially but then again I didn't really have a lot of close friends :(

really? Because I was considering Gallaudet, I had to think about it for awhile. Because of the whole clique thing and my grades,etc. My parents don't think they can pay for the tuition there either, But i'm looking around for scholarships too. Btw, is RIT in new york? Me and my hearing friend was talking about that. I couldn't remember if RIT is in New York. I was kind of paranoid about my 2 bad classes because i was nervous about not being able to get into any school.

Okay, I got into both RIT and Gallaudet.

The clique thing, I can't talk about because I haven't gotten to Gally yet. I will say that I got a scholarship at both schools, but Gallaudet can give out WAY more money than RIT/NTID can. I got the best scholarship NTID/RIT had, but I still think it's way too expensive for me. RIT is in Rochester, New York, where it's really freaking cold. DC is cold, too, but not quite as bad as Rochester. Honestly, I think it's easier to get into Gallaudet, but maybe that's just me.

The clique thing might not be as bad as they say. I mean they do say there are a lot of oral first kids......Maybe a good idea might be to go to one of the Gally teen camps and ask any professors what it's actually like. You might not have too much problems since you do sign and you also went to St. Rita's for a bit.

For Gallaudet... If you get a 24 or higher on the ACT, you'll be guaranteed 4 years of free tuition. Only if you keep your grades up during your years in Gallaudet, of course. So if you can achieve that score, you will have nothing to worry about.

For Gallaudet... If you get a 24 or higher on the ACT, you'll be guaranteed 4 years of free tuition. Only if you keep your grades up during your years in Gallaudet, of course. So if you can achieve that score, you will have nothing to worry about.

Just wanted to add that if you get the President's scholarship (the one referred to above), then half of your dorm fees will be paid as well. If you are apply and are accepted into the honors program, tuition AND dorms are free for you.

Another thing too, is that for both RIT and Gallaudet, I was able to talk to a counselor after I applied (you could do this before, if you wanted) and find out my chances of getting a scholarship and getting accepted. See if you can do that, and that could also help your decision.

Have you looked it up on their website or contacted someone from that department?

Some colleges have difference acceptance requirements than others.

Have you considered NTID/RIT? I have friends who went to RIT for their graphics design program and they did well.

Have you looked it up on their website or contacted someone from that department?

Some colleges have difference acceptance requirements than others.

Have you considered NTID/RIT? I have friends who went to RIT for their graphics design program and they did well.

I looked at only Gallaudet's website. I couldn't really find anything on the GPA acceptance. I'm planning on taking the ACT/SATs in the fall because we're planning on getting an interpreter for me but in order to do that there's alot of paperwork to go through,etc.

I was thinking about Gallaudet and RIT... I haven't looked into RIT's website yet. I can probably start applying for colleges in the fall when my senior year starts. I'm just more worried about my GPA because thats kind of what colleges mainly look at (?) I've been struggling alot in math and chemistry, its not one of my strongest points in school. I mean in the other classes, i do fine. But its just mainly tests and exams thats like my weakest point when it comes to school. I'll get A+'s on homeworks and projects but when it comes to exams/tests... thats when my grade suffers. I'll get like any extra credit that would help my grade. I'm just freaking out right now because i only have say about a full week left of school and then June 6-8 is exams. The june 8th is my last day of school.

I looked at only Gallaudet's website. I couldn't really find anything on the GPA acceptance. I'm planning on taking the ACT/SATs in the fall because we're planning on getting an interpreter for me but in order to do that there's alot of paperwork to go through,etc.

There's nothing on the Gallaudet website about their requirements because they're SO flexible and lenient about it. It's really like a case by case basis from what I can tell.

If I were you, i would take the ACT/SAT as soon as I could, because when you apply to colleges in the fall, you should have those scores already. The earlier in the fall you apply, the more organized and determined you seem. You also would stand out because fewer people would apply earlier on in the fall than at the last minute. If your scores are ready and you have everything you need for your application quickly, that also looks better for you.

Don't stress too much, the application process for Gally and RIT was not bad at all. If you need any help you can PM me.

You're getting lots of great advice here.

If you can get a full scholarship at any of the schools you are considering, wow, what a bonus THAT would be!! So many kids graduate with a load of debt that just weighs them down as young adults when looking for a job, an apartment, probably wanting to buy a car, etc., etc. If you can graduate debt-free, that is a HUGE, huge thing to be able to start your adult life without that monkey on your back.

Another thing when looking into colleges, don't forget to check in with the alumni or student services office and see what sort of job-search programs they have. Some schools are much better than others at having businesses recruiting on campuses during senior year.

If you possibly can, see if you can interview a few adults who have jobs in the field you are interested in, and see if they recommend any specific school over others.

Generally speaking though, once you're five years out of college, no one will care where you went to school; they will care about what you have accomplished on the job. So don't get TOO hung-up on a school's reputation; it matters to getting your foot in the door, but it's not the be-all, end-all, most important thing in making your choice.

It's four years of your life: if you do it right, it can be a great four years. Think about 1) money (i.e., scholarships vs. how much you will have to pay, 2) social and physical atmosphere (including support for whatever services you need, actual physical climate, etc.), 3) reputation, 4) job-search support. Other things as well, probably, but those are the ones that come to mind for me.

It would be a good idea to take the SAT, too. ACT is math and science heavy. You might get a higher score on the SAT than the ACT.

It would be a good idea to take the SAT, too. ACT is math and science heavy. You might get a higher score on the SAT than the ACT.

well i heard that alot of colleges perfer ACT, as well as students in high school because they said that the ACT tests tend to score a bit higher than SATs. We're trying to figure out when to take the SAT and ACTs

Yea, take both. Many schools will look at both scores.

All schools will look at more than your SAT or ACT scores. They will want to know what extra-curricular activities you were involved in, what volunteeer activities you have done, your grades, recommendation letters, etc. They are looking for well rounded students, not just ones with high grades or high test scores.

Additionally, you need fill out the paperwork as a minority status. That will help with admissions as well.

Re: tuition: when you begin your senior year and start filling out applications, there is a form you fill out called the FAFSA. It will determine how much Federal aid you are entitled to as a way to help with tuition and books.

You know, Wright State in Dayton has one of the best disability services of all the colleges in the U.S. Something you want to check out, anywhere you apply, is the quality of their disability services. That will have a huge bearing on you getting what you need in the form of terps, notetakers, tutors, etc.

What you need to do is make a list of what you need in a school, and what you want to study. Then start looking up websites of schools you have in mind to see how well they fit your needs and if they have a good dept. in the field you want to study.

Absolutely. A liberal arts school will probably prefer the ACT, but there are other schools that put more validity in the SAT. Which you need should be on their website under the link for potential students.

Good luck! My teen is taking both exams in June. He still has time to take the exams in the fall.

Same advice I gave my kid: Don't sweat the decision too much. The first year curriculum is the same wherever you go. You can always transfer to another school if you decide that's better for you. Visit schools and pick the place that you feel comfortable. And have fun!

Good luck! My teen is taking both exams in June. He still has time to take the exams in the fall.

Same advice I gave my kid: Don't sweat the decision too much. The first year curriculum is the same wherever you go. You can always transfer to another school if you decide that's better for you. Visit schools and pick the place that you feel comfortable. And have fun!

Absolutely. Don't like your scores? You can always re-take. These exams are not the end of the world.

Back