Time to start thinking about college..yikes!

You know, Wright State in Dayton has one of the best disability services of all the colleges in the U.S. Something you want to check out, anywhere you apply, is the quality of their disability services. That will have a huge bearing on you getting what you need in the form of terps, notetakers, tutors, etc.

I wanted to go to wright state since i was like a kid, but they don't really have the major that I wanted to do. The only thing i could find out of that is if i did 2 years at sinclair community college then transfer over to wright state as an arts major (?) My cousin and my deaf friend goes to wright state. My cousin is majoring in Supply Chain & Logistics Mgmt. My deaf friend is majoring in mathmetics.

I wanted to go to wright state since i was like a kid, but they don't really have the major that I wanted to do. The only thing i could find out of that is if i did 2 years at sinclair community college then transfer over to wright state as an arts major (?) My cousin and my deaf friend goes to wright state. My cousin is majoring in Supply Chain & Logistics Mgmt. My deaf friend is majoring in mathmetics.

Sinclair has an awesome disability service as well. And their terp training program is top notch. In fact, many of the deaf studies students at Sinclair transfer to Wright State to finish a 4 year program.

That is certainly an option. Starting at Sinclair is a smaller school, I know you can get good services, and it would transition easier from high school to college. Get your generals there, and a few courses in your major, and then transfer to Wright State.

Plus, Sinclair has open enrollment, which means as much consideration will not be paid to ACT or SAT scores as a 4 year school. Then when you transfer, the only thing Wright State will be looking at is your Sinclair transcript, not SAT or ACT scores.

Sinclair has an awesome disability service as well. And their terp training program is top notch. In fact, many of the deaf studies students at Sinclair transfer to Wright State to finish a 4 year program.

That is certainly an option. Starting at Sinclair is a smaller school, I know you can get good services, and it would transition easier from high school to college. Get your generals there, and a few courses in your major, and then transfer to Wright State.

Plus, Sinclair has open enrollment, which means as much consideration will not be paid to ACT or SAT scores as a 4 year school. Then when you transfer, the only thing Wright State will be looking at is your Sinclair transcript, not SAT or ACT scores.

But what about other schools? they still look at your ACT/SAT scores right?

Do you mean right out of h.s., or after you do two years at Sinclair? Right out of h.s., yes, most schools will want to see either your SAT or ACT, but after two years at a community college, your grades there will count far more.

But SATs, ACTs are not the only thing they look at. Your h.s. grades, activities, recommendations, etc., as has been said, count for just as much, if not more.

I heard on the news a lot students are deciding not to go to college as they do not want to be in debt for years . It is a shame it does cost so much money. I was able to get a grant when I went to college .

Do you mean right out of h.s., or after you do two years at Sinclair? Right out of h.s., yes, most schools will want to see either your SAT or ACT, but after two years at a community college, your grades there will count far more.

But SATs, ACTs are not the only thing they look at. Your h.s. grades, activities, recommendations, etc., as has been said, count for just as much, if not more.

i meant after 2 years of Sinclair. both of my parents wants me to go to sinclair for at least a year and transfer over to a university so that way it will give me the support I need.

I mean I don't really like the idea of going into a community college just because of my 2 bad grades that i have this quarter or my high school career. I wanted to go into a university where I feel like motivated and excited enough to start my major. And that i'm afraid that if i go into a community college like sinclair i'm going to feel like I'm in high school again just because of the support I need.. (?) I just wanted to apply to the universities first to see if i can get in and maybe apply to sinclair if no university accept me because of my grades.

A lot of kids are starting at community college because of the economy. That's a good plan to avoid a lot of debt. Most kids don't know what they want to do yet. Students who go off to college usually pick up credits at the community college during the summer.

I'm still a junior.. But i have about 2 weeks left until school is over for the summer. I want to major in graphic design since I'm really good at it :D I'm graduating in 2012.

Woot! :D You will have one more year to go. I think you can just keep studying and pull grades up for the better. Not much to say. :)

Keep going. Cheers~

I agree. Get yourself motivated to really do well senior year, and those two bad junior grades won't count much against you.

Apply everywhere you like *that you can afford* - (because seriously, carrying a lot of debt is a bad, bad idea), and see where you get accepted. If Sinclair is the fall-back position, so be it.

So don't get TOO hung-up on a school's reputation; it matters to getting your foot in the door, but it's not the be-all, end-all, most important thing in making your choice.
Oh very true....Like an Ivy League School is generally just a brand name.
On the other hand....One thing that is very important in getting a job is networking. It can be SUPER hard to network to find dhh friendly employers(if you go to a hearing college with few or no dhh students)....which is where the advantage of going to Gally or NTID or a school with a large population of dhh students comes in.
Get yourself motivated to really do well senior year, and those two bad junior grades won't count much against you
Yes. One or two bad grades won't count overall. Also, one thing you could push is that you are a deaf kid who has ASL as her first language, and ALSO did pretty well in the mainstream. Gally and NTID will be impressed by that. I did really badly in school, but still managed to get into a state college.

I mean I don't really like the idea of going into a community college just because of my 2 bad grades that i have this quarter or my high school career. I wanted to go into a university where I feel like motivated and excited enough to start my major. And that i'm afraid that if i go into a community college like sinclair i'm going to feel like I'm in high school again just because of the support I need.. (?) I just wanted to apply to the universities first to see if i can get in and maybe apply to sinclair if no university accept me because of my grades.

Some people go to a community college to save money. It's not always because they had bad grades or whatever. Your first two years of college is usually general education requirements anyway, whether you're at a university or a community college. Only you can motivate yourself, though!

I'm kind of confused as to why you feel like going to a community college will feel like high school because of the "support you need?" What kind of support do you mean? Tutoring? Disability services? It's really not significantly different from a university though, I promise.

If you want to go to a university, by all means, do it! We'll all support you in whatever you decide. We just want you to make an educated choice. :lol:

As someone who took both the SAT and the ACT, I can affirm that the above is true; however, the SAT's critical reading section is FAR more demanding than the ACT's reading section. I did manage to get a 650/800 on CR on the SAT which isn't too bad, but I got a 35/36 on the ACT's reading section. So long as you are a close reader you will be fine on the ACT but the SAT demands more critical thinking and analysis.

Onto the real topic: going to a community college is NOT bad. I took college courses my senior year before coming to Gallaudet, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Gallaudet is IMO not a good school for those of us who are academically oriented. I have been here a year and will stay here next year but after that, I am leaving. Unless you are taking an Honours course or a class with a professor like Drs. Nelson or Marquez, you will NOT be challenged. Most students don't read or understand the reading, and it usually doesn't take much effort to get A's and B's here. I have been taking 200-level and up courses and I have only felt challenged through the Honours courses I've taken.

But what about other schools? they still look at your ACT/SAT scores right?

Yeah, but it is not the only thing they look at. It is just one of many things they consider.

Hey, just thought...if you decide to take a trip and visit Sinclair or Wright State give me a holler. I'll arrange to take a day off and meet you there.

i meant after 2 years of Sinclair. both of my parents wants me to go to sinclair for at least a year and transfer over to a university so that way it will give me the support I need.

It wouldn't be just because of your bad grades. There are a lot of advantages to transitioning with a community college. Especially since out public schools don't address transitioning with students like they should.

It wouldn't be just because of your bad grades. There are a lot of advantages to transitioning with a community college. Especially since out public schools don't address transitioning with students like they should.

Very true. As an example - and nothing at all to do with hearing issues - when I graduated from high school, I was SO ready to go on to large, major university, with about 40,000 students. Loved it from day one.

When my sister, two years younger, was thinking about colleges, she came to visit me, felt a little overwhelmed by how large the university was, and said "But I'll see you every day, won't I?"

Uh, no, not likely.

So she decided to continue living at home for two years, went to the local community college (which was a very good one), and then transferred to the same university where I was. At that point, she loved it because she was ready for it.

Some things are just individual readiness, wants, places you feel comfortable or not comfortable, for any of a number of reasons.

Know thyself, as the sages have said.

Some people go to a community college to save money. It's not always because they had bad grades or whatever. Your first two years of college is usually general education requirements anyway, whether you're at a university or a community college. Only you can motivate yourself, though!

I'm kind of confused as to why you feel like going to a community college will feel like high school because of the "support you need?" What kind of support do you mean? Tutoring? Disability services? It's really not significantly different from a university though, I promise.

If you want to go to a university, by all means, do it! We'll all support you in whatever you decide. We just want you to make an educated choice. :lol:

The "support" thing that my parents wants me to have is because of my bad grades. I have struggled with Science and math. I was in like a lower level of math in the first 2 years of my high school career, meaning i was in a small class room, about 10-15 kids. But this year i got moved up to a higher level and I got C's for about 3 quarters in my math class and ended up having a D this quarter. It's really hard for me. I don't know why I keep getting bad grades in science. I mean I literally tried and couldn't do it. Next year I'm not taking another science class, I have enough credits for it and luckily i passed the science classes that i struggled in. I mean I got by, barely. I have about 1 more point left to raise my Chemistry grade up to a C. I've been asking alot of questions to my teachers. And yeah since my senior year is coming up pretty soon, i'm getting worried about how i'm going to be able to get into college. I hope nothing bad happens.

What do you intend to major in at college? Almost every major needs a little bit of math (you have to understand things like deviation from the mean and so on to understand research papers, regardless of your major), but there are a lot of things that are not math/science heavy.

You don't have to have advanced trig or anything like that in h.s. if your interests are not in a math/science sort of field.

I'm not saying "don't worry about it," exactly, because it would be good if you get your grades up in whatever classes you take. More than the grades themselves, you do need that basic foundation in math and science. Probably you will have some "general education" requirements in science in college.

Still, when it comes to admissions, what will be most important will be those h.s. classes that most strongly relate to what you want to study in college.

I plan on majoring in graphic design and maybe minoring in photography. I've always had an intrest in doing photography. I do alot of graphic designs on my laptop and I want to try and do more of that as my major in college. like either a web designer or an advertising graphic designer I'm not sure what kind of graphic designs are out there but that's what I'm planning on majoring. like the graphic design kind of stuff that I'm doing is like artsy stuff. what I would do is I would take a picture of my own, I would edit the picture to make it look professional or very cool looking. I can probably try and upload one of my graphic designs here on alldeaf to give you an idea of what kind of graphic design that I'm going for. I'm replying to this thread by my iPod, my laptop is dead :p

For a professional graphic designer, I hate to tell you this, but there WILL be math. A roommate of mine long ago was a graphic designer in textiles. Working out the math of pattern repeats, plus considering optimum height and width for the various textiles depending on expected use, was not an easy thing.

Any sort of graphic design will have its math component. So pay attention! Those math classes will end up being more important to you than you might think.

Back