Those who decide not to get a CI

Sign language doesn't pose any health risks for anyone unless they are not watching where they are walking while signing and ram into a tree. :lol:

Shel90 It happened to my brother, as I have very good perphial (sp) vision, I was talking to my hearing brother, he was signing (well gesturing) back, he was looking at me instead of where he's going, we walked into a parked car!! I stopped JUST before... he on other hand crashed into it! LOL I laughed hard until it hurts!

Sign language doesn't pose any health risks for anyone unless they are not watching where they are walking while signing and ram into a tree. :lol:

Or some stupid blond girl walking into a pole while texting on her sidekick, oblivious to the world around her.

Who would that be? Not me, never. *looks innocent*

Buffalo: getting a meningitis injection before an implant operation obviates any possibility of dying. I received it before my operation way back in 2007. As for your hypothesis that hearing people should learn ASL to communicate with you is interesting but highly unrealistic in the real world. Does say hearing music-mean anything to you? Oh yeah- I have been bilaterally deaf-silence- since December 20, 2006.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Erm... I have been bilaterally deaf - I hear Nada - since the day I was born in 1977, music doesn't interest me.
Many people can be successful with music, deaf or not... look at Beethoven, Evelyn Glennie and many well known musical deaf people, they don't use any special devices to hear music.Evelyn Glennie uses her feet/vibration.

Is it because you are waiting for more advanced technologies or treatment?

It seem like this is the common reason why people decide not to get a CI, including my older sister.
i am seeing more information on how the technology is advancing to a point where it is close to mimicking how natural hearing is processed.

Or some stupid blond girl walking into a pole while texting on her sidekick, oblivious to the world around her.

Who would that be? Not me, never. *looks innocent*
I grew up in the days before there were "curb your dog" laws, so I've always kept at least one eye on the ground ahead of me. :eek3:

Buffalo: getting a meningitis injection before an implant operation obviates any possibility of dying. I received it before my operation way back in 2007. As for your hypothesis that hearing people should learn ASL to communicate with you is interesting but highly unrealistic in the real world. Does say hearing music-mean anything to you? Oh yeah- I have been bilaterally deaf-silence- since December 20, 2006.

From what I hear, one would have to have a meningitis shot every 5 years. Don't forget the cost of maintaining CI, reimplanting in case of failure or damage and insurance cost. Does respecting for what you are mean anything to you???

Buffalo: receiving a meningitis shot every 5/10 years is a minor consideration. I get flu shots every year.
The cost of my maintaining my implant-3 years- here in Ontario is $3206.00 which means I have all duplicated external items. As for reimplanting possible but generally not a "normal occurrence". As for your supposition of NOT respecting myself not sure what is implied? Stay deaf/silent?
In my experience of being deaf since Dec 20/06 I COULD NOT HEAR MUSIC or any sound. Silence is real-just disconnect my Implant-anytime!

getting a meningitis injection before an implant operation obviates any possibility of dying.

NO, getting a meningitis vaccine prior to surgery reduces your risk of complications directly do to contracting meningitis - which is VERY different that "obviates any possibility of dying" as there are many many other complications during and post (any) surgery that can still be fatal.

Buffalo: receiving a meningitis shot every 5/10 years is a minor consideration. I get flu shots every year.
The cost of my maintaining my implant-3 years- here in Ontario is $3206.00 which means I have all duplicated external items. As for reimplanting possible but generally not a "normal occurrence". As for your supposition of NOT respecting myself not sure what is implied? Stay deaf/silent?
In my experience of being deaf since Dec 20/06 I COULD NOT HEAR MUSIC or any sound. Silence is real-just disconnect my Implant-anytime!
Not everyone cares about hearing music or hearing sounds. So getting a CI is not important to them.

Erm... I have been bilaterally deaf - I hear Nada - since the day I was born in 1977, music doesn't interest me.
Many people can be successful with music, deaf or not... look at Beethoven, Evelyn Glennie and many well known musical deaf people, they don't use any special devices to hear music.Evelyn Glennie uses her feet/vibration.

Same here. Music is just blah, blah to me.
But good point about the deaf muscians, they didn't rely on their limited hearing or amplified assistive to hear the music.

If one doesn't want hear music, other people speaking, sounds and remain deaf/silence- your free ,life style choice!

Beethoven was skilled, well-versed, and experienced at his craft long before he went deaf.....

Beethoven was skilled, well-versed, and experienced at his craft long before he went deaf.....

I have wondered if he had an excellent memory for sound akin to having photographic memory.

For Beethoven it seems to be a logical inference especially since he was bilateral deaf. Amazing when one thinks of it especially to those of us who are deaf .

Unfortunately there were no ENT doctors around then. Nor any devices to help.

Unfortunately there were no ENT doctors around then. Nor any devices to help.

I think I read he probably had Meniere's disease, as he had terrible headaches, vertigo , etc.

Back