This is a frightening situation in my area

I thought we were talking about an escaped convict who tried to murder someone. Besides, can't those needs be met in a facility in the middle of the desert miles and miles away from the nearest highway?

makes escapees easier to re-capture.

No. We are talking about a 19 year old who walked away from a mental health facility that treats adolescent offenders. He was, in the past,charged with assault with intent to commit murder, but it is not known that he was ever convicted of those charges, not to mention that those charges were prior to him being probated into extensive inpatient treatment.

You know, with the crime rate what it is in D.C., the least of the concern should be this one offender.:roll: He at least has received treatment. He is certainly less of a risk to anyone, no matter what state he received treatment in, than those out there who haven't. People just kill me sometimes. Everyone wants to reduce recidivism, yet when the measures that have been shown to reduce recidivism are used, people want to continue to create stigma and fear. Makes absolutely no sense. Guess we need to just kill 'em all for any type of criminal behavior. They won't re-offend then.

Very true. D.C. has plenty to worry about. It is the worst-managed city I have ever lived near. Shipping juvenile offenders off to various states is a symptom of the poor management. As I stated way, way back, for some of these guys, it might be a good idea to get them away from the friends and dysfunctional families that got them into whatever trouble they were in, but generally, it's much better to treat juveniles within a reasonable distance of their homes, to help strengthen their use of community resources when they finally get out.

I thought we were talking about an escaped convict who tried to murder someone. Besides, can't those needs be met in a facility in the middle of the desert miles and miles away from the nearest highway?

It's costly to have facilities in the middle of nowhere due to logistics. Transporting prisoners back and forth isn't cheap.

No. We are talking about a 19 year old who walked away from a mental health facility that treats adolescent offenders. He was, in the past,charged with assault with intent to commit murder, but it is not known that he was ever convicted of those charges, not to mention that those charges were prior to him being probated into extensive inpatient treatment.

So, he tried to kill someone and instead of being put in jail, he was put in a mental health facility?

That just means he had a good lawyer.

Well, look what the mental health facility approach led to ... an escaped inmate.

http://www.teenhelponline.com/boot-camps/index.php?q=arizona

Very true. D.C. has plenty to worry about. It is the worst-managed city I have ever lived near. Shipping juvenile offenders off to various states is a symptom of the poor management. As I stated way, way back, for some of these guys, it might be a good idea to get them away from the friends and dysfunctional families that got them into whatever trouble they were in, but generally, it's much better to treat juveniles within a reasonable distance of their homes, to help strengthen their use of community resources when they finally get out.

If the program they need is within a reasonable distance. Some issues require very specific and specialized treatment.

You have speculated that he is at risk for committing violence, that he has been off meds for 4 days (without even knowing if he is prescribed psycho-tropics)
Those statements were based on what was reported by the press. I didn't make them up out of nothing. If the information they released was wrong, well, that's another matter.

you have speculated that the individuals living in the assisted care facility are in danger as a result of being located close to a mental health facility when you have no evidence what so ever that anyone living in the assisted care facility has ever even had contact with a patient from the facility, you have speculated that the should not have been in this facility without knowlege of the facility's programs, you have speculated about any number of things regarding this case.
If I don't have knowledge of the facility's programs it's because they are misleading in their website. Their website says:

"Palmetto Summerville Behavioral Health offers a residential treatment program for adolescent males with sexually aggressive behaviors, substance abuse problems and psychiatric, behavioral or conduct issues.

For more information on the caring services we provide to our patients, please click on the highlighted link to open an Acrobat brochure that describes our programs.

The Waypoint program is a residential treatment program for adolescent males with sexually aggressive behaviors between the ages of 12 and 17.

The Summit program works with the family to treat psychiatric, behavior/conduct, mood, attachment and trauma issues in adolescent males ages 12 to 17.
"

I didn't say they were in danger. I questioned the wisdom of allowing such facilities to be in such lose proximity to each other. The old people from those homes take strolls around the neighborhood. They are frail. Suppose they had run into those guys when they were making their escape? They could have been hurt. It's something to consider.

If you aren't afraid, why use the word "frightening" in the title of the thread? Is it an attempt to induce fear in others?
How would it induce fear in others reading it unless they live in the same neighborhood? I don't think that includes anyone at AD. It is frightening to the neighborhood to think that the security is not good, and that when things do happen they are not notified by authorities.

So, he tried to kill someone and instead of being put in jail, he was put in a mental health facility?

That just means he had a good lawyer.

Nope. He was charged. Just because he was charged doesn't mean he was ever convicted, or that he was guilty.

And he was not put in a mental health facility instead of jail. Tell you what. Why don't you scroll back to the beginning and get a grip on what we are discussing and then make your comments.:cool2:

YOU IDIOT! Heat makes them angry. That is why I said ANWR!

:lol: You know I'm joking. And yes, why couldn't adaquate care be given in the middle of no where. I totally agree.

Those statements were based on what was reported by the press. I didn't make them up out of nothing. If the information they released was wrong, well, that's another matter.

If I don't have knowledge of the facility's programs it's because they are misleading in their website. Their website says:

"Palmetto Summerville Behavioral Health offers a residential treatment program for adolescent males with sexually aggressive behaviors, substance abuse problems and psychiatric, behavioral or conduct issues.

For more information on the caring services we provide to our patients, please click on the highlighted link to open an Acrobat brochure that describes our programs.

The Waypoint program is a residential treatment program for adolescent males with sexually aggressive behaviors between the ages of 12 and 17.

The Summit program works with the family to treat psychiatric, behavior/conduct, mood, attachment and trauma issues in adolescent males ages 12 to 17.
"

I didn't say they were in danger. I questioned the wisdom of allowing such facilities to be in such lose proximity to each other. The old people from those homes take strolls around the neighborhood. They are frail. Suppose they had run into those guys when they were making their escape? They could have been hurt. It's something to consider.

How would it induce fear in others reading it unless they live in the same neighborhood? I don't think that includes anyone at AD. It is frightening to the neighborhood to think that the security is not good, and that when things do happen they are not notified by authorities.

Oh, so you've spoken to the entire neighborhood and know how they feel?

The neighborhood obviously was not at risk. He did not commit a crime in the immediate neighborhood, nor is there any evidence that he has engaged in criminal behavior in the 4 days that he has been gone.

The bolded is very generic. Says virtually nothing about the program and the methodology and techniques employed to address the various issues connected to the different disorders listed. So, in effect, you really know nothing about their program.

Nope. He was charged. Just because he was charged doesn't mean he was ever convicted, or that he was guilty.

And he was not put in a mental health facility instead of jail. Tell you what. Why don't you scroll back to the beginning and get a grip on what we are discussing and then make your comments.:cool2:

Because I already know what your going to say ;)

No. We are talking about a 19 year old who walked away from a mental health facility that treats adolescent offenders....
He didn't just walk away. He and three other guys climbed over the fence.

If he is so harmless, why are law enforcement agencies looking for him?

do you rather that mental ward send out its own private security force to capture him? or contract Dog the Hunter to capture him?

Your just asking too many competent questions ... we can't have that in here!

:wave::giggle:

YOU IDIOT! Heat makes them angry. That is why I said ANWR!

:lol: You know I'm joking. And yes, why couldn't adaquate care be given in the middle of no where. I totally agree.

If it is the middle of no where, the adjunct services are not available because it is the middle of no where. Duh.

Because I already know what your going to say ;)

Where did you buy that crystal ball of yours? I'd be careful with that if I were you. Thinking you can predict a turn of events usually ends up in negative consequences for the predictor.

Back