The N.Y.P.D. 2006 Dodge Charger with V-8 motor could be added to the police fleet

Heath

Reaction score
The N.Y.P.D. 2006 Dodge Charger V-8 motors added to N.Y.C. police cars

By TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writer
Thu Feb 9, 6:48 PM ET

NEW YORK - The New York Police Department is adding some muscle to its car fleet:

The 2006 Dodge Charger, whose 1969 model is best remembered for outrunning a hapless sheriff in "The Dukes of Hazzard."

The department plans to buy 15 police versions of the car for a pilot program that will begin this summer, officials said Thursday.

With so many flashy foreign cars on the road, speed matters, said Leonard Lesko, the NYPD's director of fleet services.

"The car that does 110 mph doesn't do it anymore," Lesko said.

In a recent analysis by Michigan State Police, Chargers equipped with a V-8 engine had the quickest acceleration (6.52 seconds to 60 mph) and fastest lap time (150 mph) of any police vehicle tested.

The police highway unit will test drive 10 Chargers featuring V-8 engines, officials said. The rest will have V-6s and hit city streets in the five boroughs.

If they pass inspection, they could replace hundreds of squad cars in the NYPD's 3,000-vehicle patrol fleet, now dominated by Ford Crown Victorias and Chevrolet Impalas.

The Charger appeared in 1966. Over the next several years, it made an impact on the stock car circuit and on television, starring as the General Lee, an orange 1969 model, in "The Dukes of Hazzard."

The price was being negotiated. A company Web site lists the civilian model's starting price at $22,995. Modified police models typically are sold to law enforcers at a discount.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209...YNsaMYA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

I think muscle cars are great for rural areas and highways but I don't understand how the police can drive 120 mph thru the crowded streets of Manhatten.

(BTW, Hubby and I were proud owners of modified his-and-her Dodge Chargers, 1972 and 1973 models. :P )

Reba, the V-8 ones are for highway patrol units. The V-6 ones go to the city streets of 5 boroughs. That's what it says.

Uh ohh...

I see a sequel to The Dukes of Hazzard coming!

It's Bo and Luke Duke driving their General Lee against the newly improved police Chargers!!!

They are still moron.

It dont make any faster.

Foreign cars still smoke Police Chargers..

Chargers is only 0-60 mph in 6.52 sec for V8 and RWD only. What a crap!

Charger R/T cost around $35k.

Foreign -> Subaru STI 0-60mph in 5.0 sec for H-4 (flat-4) with turbo and AWD! Oh yeah it can go over 150mph. American cars still failed.

It's cost around $30k.

Just wait American cars will come back much stronger n' faster.

Heath, I don't think so; not in the foreseeable future, anyway, because of our environmental laws.

Good car pictures you got there. :) :thumb:

What was under the hood of these cars?

Neo said:
They are still moron.

It dont make any faster.

Foreign cars still smoke Police Chargers..

Chargers is only 0-60 mph in 6.52 sec for V8 and RWD only. What a crap!

Charger R/T cost around $35k.

Foreign -> Subaru STI 0-60mph in 5.0 sec for H-4 (flat-4) with turbo and AWD! Oh yeah it can go over 150mph. American cars still failed.

It's cost around $30k.
Let's not forget... our tax dollars go to spicing up the police cars. They don't just take ordinary cars out of the assembly line and use them. They have those cars specially designed for hard core use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_car
Police cars are usually normal cars which are upgraded with a police package provided by the manufacturer. The police package often modifies the car for higher durability, speed and capability for high mileage driving and to accommodate the use of the electronic equipment used by police officers on patrol (laptop database, strobe lights/siren, radio etc.). This is usually accomplished by heavy duty suspensions, brakes, tires, transmission and cooling systems, and also sometimes includes slight modifications to the car's stock engine. Additional special equipment may include modified electrical wiring, inoperable rear door locks and rear windows, and other heavier-duty components. These components not only increase performance but also increase the car's longevity, usually lasting from 7 to 12 years. It is for this reason that many taxis and fire chiefs' vehicles are based very closely on police cars.

Last edited:
Heath said:
Just wait American cars will come back much stronger n' faster.

What wait? American is older than Japan and Japan still work better than American.

VamPyroX said:
Let's not forget... our tax dollars go to spicing up the police cars. They don't just take ordinary cars out of the assembly line and use them. They have those cars specially designed for hard core use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_car

Don't you read it?

Michigan State Police, Chargers equipped with a V-8 engine had the quickest acceleration (6.52 seconds to 60 mph) and fastest lap time (150 mph) of any police vehicle tested.

It's already mod.

i work as a installation technician for LVMPD. basicly i build the police cars (electronics aspects).

the police intercepters are cheaper than the standard versions that you would find on the street.

the reason is
1) fleet vehicles - gives us a very good deal to buy bulk
2) less electronics / no back seats / plastic carpet instead of cloth.

the current sticker price for our 06 is 27,000, but we got the car for 21,000.

Cjanik said:
i work as a installation technician for LVMPD. basicly i build the police cars (electronics aspects).

the police intercepters are cheaper than the standard versions that you would find on the street.

the reason is
1) fleet vehicles - gives us a very good deal to buy bulk
2) less electronics / no back seats / plastic carpet instead of cloth.

the current sticker price for our 06 is 27,000, but we got the car for 21,000.

Yes it's true and dont forget add police's items like radar, computer, flasher, etc.

I am sure the police here in America are giving the auto makers some really good feedback and get the patrol car beefed up n' ready to rumble on these mean streets, man !!!!

sounds like a good idea, but hopefully it doesn't run out of gas during a car chase

Darkside said:
sounds like a good idea, but hopefully it doesn't run out of gas during a car chase

Then that is where a back-up gas tank is fitted on and aggressive police tactics come in.:) :thumb:

Neo said:
Yes it's true and dont forget add police's items like radar, computer, flasher, etc.

yeah but those dont count as part of the cost of buying the car itself.

those are the parts that i install for a living.

Kind of an older thread but wanted to comment. I found out a couple of months ago that Ford was discontinuing the Crown Vic Interceptor series (possibly the whole Crown Vic line) so the Crown Vic police car will be phased out. I was wondering what our department was going to do to replace the Crown Vic and the rumor is that we will be getting some Chargers. Should be fun to try them out.

Also mentioned was the Dodge Intrepid and the Chevy Impala's as there are police versions of both. I don't like either one of those and other departments around us that have tried them did not like the Intrepid. The Impala's are liked a little more by those that have tried them. I'm hoping for the Chargers.

Back