The lowest form of language

imdeafsowhat

Reaction score
American Sign Language is the lowest form of language.

Signing Exact English is on the same level as English.

Braille is on the same level as English.

Why?

ASL has no structure, no to be verbs, and it doesn't make sense at all.

SEE is the same as English only in SIGNS.

Braille is the same as English only in DOTS.

I am sure it will help the thread if you give the definition of high/low form of language.

-

Isn't this kind of offensive to Deaf people or at least people who are pro-ASL? I would think their defense is that ASL is a whole another language itself. I wouldn't know. I'm profoundly deaf but I don't know any type of sign language.

I am sure it will help the thread if you give the definition of high/low form of language.

-

You asked.

ASL, it cannot get you a job unless it's not included the strength of grammar and spellings. But it is beautiful, art, and powerful, ONLY TO THE DEAF. Also you can hurt someone by signing.

SEE, it can get you a job, same as ASL, you can still hurt someone.

Braille, it can get you a job, different than ASL, but it is also an art to US ALL. It's very unique, I would, for one, learn Braille, to understand the blind's, I know they can't see, perspective.

I find these statement very offensive and very uneducated. Obviously did not know who William Stokoe is... He figured out ASL is official language. Read about him at wiki. William Stokoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

ASL is a language regardless if you like it or not. The language requires to have culture exposures. ASL has culture, structure language, synax, and many grammar structures. If you know the language, you will see the difference. It very similar to french and Spanish language grammar structures.

SEE, Manual signs, and Cue Speech are tools to develop awareness. It does not have culture of expression.

ASL is not a tool but a language and daily basic language that common among deaf and hard of hearing to use the language to express their true feeling. English sometime do not allow us to express true feeling and comfort.

See link Ethnologue report for USA.

See another link American Sign Language

Books on this.
Linguistics of American Sign Language, 4th Edition

Crack is bad for you people.

*English is majority language in America DUH.
*English would do you no good if you are in region where English isn't majority DUH.

Crack is hellva powerful drug.

I find these statement very offensive and very uneducated. Obviously did not know who William Stokoe is... He figured out ASL is official language. Read about him at wiki. William Stokoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

ASL is a language regardless if you like it or not. The language requires to have culture exposures. ASL has culture, structure language, synax, and many grammar structures. If you know the language, you will see the difference. It very similar to french and Spanish language grammar structures.

SEE, Manual signs, and Cue Speech are tools to develop awareness. It does not have culture of expression.

ASL is not a tool but a language and daily basic language that common among deaf and hard of hearing to use the language to express their true feeling. English sometime do not allow us to express true feeling and comfort.

See link Ethnologue report for USA.

See another link American Sign Language

Books on this.
Linguistics of American Sign Language, 4th Edition

Too many sources out there, this is the reality.

ASL is a tool used by the DEAFs. I express very strong in English, why? Cause there are words that can explain to the last details. ASL is just too violence, I know, I've been in many ASL agruments.

SEE and ASL do not have culture, but they are part of AMERICAN's culture.

Spanish and French don't have "to be verbs" is that what you're saying?

ASL is a language of SIGNS. Not verbal. It has no structure, no grammar and it's not based on spellings, just signs. You see, disabled people get offended easily because they're disabled. One more thing, I fingerspell a whole sentence to a full-deaf guy as a joke, he called me a retard. How's that for you?

But then, everyone's opinion is different, this is just a reality and it's harsh as fuck.

Strength in ASL will not get you far, strength in English will take you far. Have you seen how native ASL speakers write, how do you think native English speakers think when they see what the ASL speaker write?

"ASL has culture" Culture requires many components that the deaf culture does not have. However that is a total different issue at hand.

Crack is bad for you people.

*English is majority language in America DUH.
*English would do you no good if you are in region where English isn't majority DUH.

Crack is hellva powerful drug.

You are right... English is majority language in America. But soon will be overtaken by Spanish language if we are not careful. Its already majority in California as we types these message.

I want to emphasize that English is very important language to learn regardless deaf or hearing. I have found many hearing people cannot write well as I can when I ask questions. Education is not created equal for all individual. Deaf have huge disadvantage because of lacking ability to hear. Even cochlear cannot help some deaf individual.

However, I would like to say Primary language ASL but must know English as 2nd language. And continue add 3rd or 4th languages such as Spanish or next popular language in America as good way to build up language foundation.

I wouldn't exclude English or Spanish out of list of languages deaf should learn. We don't have choice but learn English immediately in order to survive hearing world. But we do have choice of learning ASL for our culture and identity purpose. Its up to deaf individual to have ASL as their primary language. ASL is my primary language at home as my wife is deaf. My work requires me to use English as writing emails between all co-workers. I work 99.9% with hearing in Mortgage industrial. Only two deaf co-worker with me but I don't work with them directly. So in order to survive my mortgage work force, I must know English to communicate. I am not using any Spanish skills but if I come across Spanish writers, then I will work with them and it wouldn't be easy doing it.

Too many sources out there, this is the reality.

ASL is a tool used by the DEAFs. I express very strong in English, why? Cause there are words that can explain to the last details. ASL is just too violence, I know, I've been in many ASL agruments.

SEE and ASL do not have culture, but they are part of AMERICAN's culture.

Spanish and French don't have "to be verbs" is that what you're saying?

ASL is a language of SIGNS. Not verbal. It has no structure, no grammar and it's not based on spellings, just signs. You see, disabled people get offended easily because they're disabled. One more thing, I fingerspell a whole sentence to a full-deaf guy as a joke, he called me a retard. How's that for you?

But then, everyone's opinion is different, this is just a reality and it's harsh as fuck.

Obviously you limit your language to verbal of sounds. Sign language is verbal in hands. No difference.

I guess we have to agree that we disagree.

You are right... English is majority language in America. But soon will be overtaken by Spanish language if we are not careful. Its already majority in California as we types these message.

I want to emphasize that English is very important language to learn regardless deaf or hearing. I have found many hearing people cannot write well as I can when I ask questions. Education is not created equal for all individual. Deaf have huge disadvantage because of lacking ability to hear. Even cochlear cannot help some deaf individual.

However, I would like to say Primary language ASL but must know English as 2nd language. And continue add 3rd or 4th languages such as Spanish or next popular language in America as good way to build up language foundation.

I wouldn't exclude English or Spanish out of list of languages deaf should learn. We don't have choice but learn English immediately in order to survive hearing world. But we do have choice of learning ASL for our culture and identity purpose. Its up to deaf individual to have ASL as their primary language. ASL is my primary language at home as my wife is deaf. My work requires me to use English as writing emails between all co-workers. I work 99.9% with hearing in Mortgage industrial. Only two deaf co-worker with me but I don't work with them directly. So in order to survive my mortgage work force, I must know English to communicate. I am not using any Spanish skills but if I come across Spanish writers, then I will work with them and it wouldn't be easy doing it.

You said it was easy to learn Spanish, and now you're saying it's hard to use Spanish. ZZZ

In the world, English is taught howevertheless, it is the people that takes in the language, some rejects it like most deaf people do. "I don't need to learn the grammar or structure, because I can sign clearly and big to my interpreter and she/he'll speak for me." Horrible perspective of A deaf person. You see, most deaf people tend to RELY on things such as relay, tdd, interpreter, and their friends with talents.

You say that WE MUST LEARN ENGLISH, you are wrong, we are given a choice, most people I know can SPEAK the language, but write and read, not too well. I'm saying people as in HEARING, DEAF, BLIND, AND WHATEVER IS ELSE. It's actually individual that learns the language in different perspective, like you, Deaf Mort, you believe that we can live with english as a "second language" but then when we stop using it, we'll lose that ability. I know because I went to Gallaudet for a year and I've been using signs 24/7, but when I came back home, I lost my ability to speak, write, and read english.

Like I said, it depends on individuals.

By the way, is "FUCK" english?

Before we get into a flame war with this topic, I do want to say that English is considered the language of commerce as one travels to other countries--English is widely spoken. If one flys into tokyo--the pilots are speaking in English to the control tower, same scenario in Nairobi, Kenya, Ryadh, Saudi Arabia, etc, etc.

Anyway the spread of the English language is probably due to the colonization of the British empire.

As for the ASL/English debate in the Deaf community-- I suggest depending on one's hearing level--it should be catered to the individual.

No one size fits all.

American Sign Language is the lowest form of language.
And your linguistics credentials are . . . ?

Signing Exact English is on the same level as English.
And what "level" would that be?

Braille is on the same level as English.
Braille isn't even a language; it's a mode of English. It's like saying cursive writing is the same level as English, or Morse Code is the same level of English.

What are these "levels" of which you post?

ASL has no structure, no to be verbs, and it doesn't make sense at all.
ASL does have structure, does have verb signs that show a state of being in time and space, and it most certainly makes a lot of sense to those who bother to study it properly.

I'm sure Russian, Mandarin, Farsi, etc., also make no sense to a native English speaker who has never studied those languages.

SEE is the same as English only in SIGNS.
Not the way I've seen it used.

Braille is the same as English only in DOTS.
Braille is a mode of English, just like Morse Code; it's not a language.

Has anybody ever seen how ASL is "written" out? Horrible, just plain horrible.

Has anyone seen how Spanish is "written" out? Horrible, just plain horrible.

Because u said that and Spanish syntax is set up similiar to ASL so you are saying that Spanish is the lowest form of language too.

It is called discrimination and disrespect of different cultures.

Strength in ASL will not get you far, strength in English will take you far. Have you seen how native ASL speakers write, how do you think native English speakers think when they see what the ASL speaker write?

"ASL has culture" Culture requires many components that the deaf culture does not have. However that is a total different issue at hand.

:roll:

ASL, it cannot get you a job unless it's not included the strength of grammar and spellings. But it is beautiful, art, and powerful, ONLY TO THE DEAF. Also you can hurt someone by signing.
Not every job depends on the proper use of English grammar and spelling. If fluency in English was necessary for employment, there would be even more hearing people in the unemployment lines, believe me.

What do you mean someone can be hurt by signing? Do you mean someone might accidentally get poked in the eye by overenthusiastic signing?

SEE, it can get you a job, same as ASL, you can still hurt someone.
Um, hearing employers don't know SEE any more than they know ASL, so how does SEE help someone get a job?

Braille, it can get you a job, different than ASL, but it is also an art to US ALL. It's very unique, I would, for one, learn Braille, to understand the blind's, I know they can't see, perspective.
I have nothing against Braille but that's comparing apples and oranges. How does knowing Braille "get you a job?"

Back