the lady at the laundromat

happen to me all the time lol.

Often when i am outside having a smoke, at my home, people who are lost would stop by and ask me questions, but i would say i am deaf, so they will just say oh ok and wave then leave. lol.

When i am out or something people talk to me, i said i am deaf, they will say oh ok, nevermind or whatever. I gotten so used to that response, i dont think about it anymore.

One time i was at the grocery store with my dad, my dad was inside getting grocery while i was outside waiting in the car with my dog in the car, anyway i went outside for a smoke, as i am not allowed to smoke in the car, as i was smoking, an elderly lady parked beside my car, she got out and was covering her mouth because she didnt want to smell or inhale any of my smoke, so i immediately said ohh i am sorry and then i moved to other side, to show respect to her, but then she started talking, but her mouth was still covered with her hand, i couldn't understand her, i told her i was deaf, she kept talking, i repeatly told her i cannot hear her or understand her, she gave up and just waved her hand as in "nevermind" and walked away. lol

deafclimber said:
ppl misunderstand when they hear "DEAF" that sounds like "death".

"Hi. I am death. I've come here to take you to the great afterlife."

Pretty brave folk, them hearies. They have the audacity to lecture Death himself!

Aww I know how you feel..some people just don't listen or ingore us! I read lips but I don't like it when people talk too fast or it's hard to read lips when guys have mustance or beard or goatee that hasn't trimmed down...ugh! I ask them to use paper and pen when I need to understand what they are staying...some of them looked at me like I am an alien or something... :roll:

We are all human beings so why can't we be treated equally?

DeafMonkey said:
Nah I would not punch in her face I would get in charge and trouble by the police. :lol:

Just tell the pigs that you accident punch in her face because you tripped over her laundry basket. So, you will not get yourself in trouble.

Did it ever occur to any of you that the lady at the laundromat is ALSO deaf? :lol: If I had a dollar for every time my wife and I have had the following conversation, I could retire to Bermuda:

ME: Have you seen the remote control?

HER: What?

ME: I said ‘have you seen the remote control’.

HER: What hole?

ME: What?

ME: I didn’t hear what you said.

HER: What about your hole?

ME: NO! Not ‘hole,’ ‘remote control’. Do you have your CI on?

HER: CSI isn’t on tonight—it’s Tuesday.

ME: I’m looking for the fucking remote control!

HER: Why do you need the remote? I just told you CSI isn’t on tonight.

ME: AAARGHHH!

ME, SIGNING: WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FUCKING LEARN ASL BETTER?

HER, ORALIZING: You have to learn it better first and teach me.

ME: OK, whatever. :roll: Now can you please just tell me where the fucking remote control is?

ME: What? Talk louder—you know I can't hear you with the water running...

Levonian said:
Did it ever occur to any of you that the lady at the laundromat is ALSO deaf? :lol: If I had a dollar for every time my wife and I have had the following conversation, I could retire to Bermuda:

ME: OK, whatever. :roll: Now can you please just tell me where the fucking remote control is?

:rofl::rofl:

at Rite Aid cashier man was asking/speaking something I replied/signed I can't hear I'm deaf* where my husband found/saw me :D

Maybe, she's deaf? Heh!

That's one thing I hate about plane flights. I'm fine... but two things I hate most is old ladies and little babies. If they're fine, great... if not, ugh! There are sometimes old ladies who sit next to me and blab for hours. One time, this old lady started talking to me and I saw her talking. She asked me a question and I nodded my head. I then looked down and started reading my magazine. When I finished reading my whole magazine, I looked back up and at her... she was still talking! As for babies, sure... every baby cries. However, some cry loud and forever... and the parents don't do anything. They just sit there reading magazines with their babies on their shoulders. Ugh!

VamPyroX said:
Maybe, she's deaf? Heh!

That's one thing I hate about plane flights. I'm fine... but two things I hate most is old ladies and little babies. If they're fine, great... if not, ugh! There are sometimes old ladies who sit next to me and blab for hours. One time, this old lady started talking to me and I saw her talking. She asked me a question and I nodded my head. I then looked down and started reading my magazine. When I finished reading my whole magazine, I looked back up and at her... she was still talking! As for babies, sure... every baby cries. However, some cry loud and forever... and the parents don't do anything. They just sit there reading magazines with their babies on their shoulders. Ugh!

I just turn off my implant and enjoy soundless bliss. This carries certain perils, unfortunately:

"What? Yes. No, I can't hear you? What? There's a train in the penguin? Oh, the plane's going down in the Atlantic? We have two minutes left to live? Wonderful. I'm going to keep reading this airline magazine, let me know when we reach London."

A lady came in the back door while I was busy to do smthg and I heard noise her footsteps approaching to here then I looked at her behind my back and she was trying to talk to me. First, I gestured not to use my voice with sign for "No" by shaking my head Lt/Rt and showing her very clear fingerpoint directly to my "Ear" that means I can't hear but then she kept stubborn talking to me. If I use my voice to tell her that "I'm deaf" hearing will not believe me becuz I dont sound like a deaf. That's why I dont use my voice when I sign to anyone. I was puzzled kinda surprised, I dunno why she wanna talk to me more. But for her that was unusual, really hearing ppl dont tend to talk to me back when after they found out that I'm deaf. In a while I realized, she said, I have a cochlear implant showing me behind her ear. I was stunned she can talk pretty good, doesnt sound like deaf. We happened to be oralist the same things like hoh. When I tried to sign to her but she doesnt know sign language then we kept conversing more back/forth to each other becuz we seemed to comprehend with no problem in communication. LOL!!! I feel like we are finally have a twin as audie. I thought how funny we are the same kind of boat that was small world not too many hoh around here, I've ever meet.

Last edited:
Sometimes people came to talk to me, I polite reply that I am deaf, their reply is "Oh I don't believe you, your deaf?" I said "yes", thinking myself what do they think of us deaf people?"

Last week at chinese resturant, they have a karoke music night, a singer lady came to my table asking me to chose a song to sing, I told her sorry I am deaf, she don't believe me, and put her microphone to my mouth to force me to said something, I reply in sign language that "I can't sing because I am deaf" in front of all guests!!

Oh perhaps I guess its because I don't wear a hearing aid to prove her that I am deaf, as hearing aid don't help me at all.

:)
deafclimber said:
yea that happens to me sometimes.

ppl misunderstand when they hear "DEAF" that sounds like "death".

i hate that when hearing ppl look down or look around as they hear me talking. sometimes i pause talking til they look at my face then i continue talking. it is like they are my remote. *beep* on *beep* off... lol

:) There you go deafclimber, the same thing happened to my husband a few months ago. We went into a Circuit City Store to look around for a Game Boy cartridge for Tiger. I just happened to be looking at CD's, but, I was nearby.
Well, a Sales Associate came up to my husband and asked if "there was anything in particular he had been looking for", so, my husband explained to him that "he is deaf", then all of a sudden, the sales associate had a weird look on his face, so I thought I better get over there and see if I can help out. I explained to the gentleman, who had been very nice, that my husband is deaf, so he cannot hear what you're saying.
The man broke out into a big smile and said "ohhhhhhhhhhhh I thought he said he is dead and scared me a bit". It turned out to be a funny situation, but, at the close of the sale, he did ask me where he could learn to sign in case something like this happens again. So, I gave him the name of several places he could start. It all worked out for the best.
So, I told my husband. See? Dead people can work miracles huh? He just laughed.

hate that when hearing ppl look down or look around as they hear me talking. sometimes i pause talking til they look at my face then i continue talking. it is like they are my remote. *beep* on *beep* off... lol

its very common for hearing people to not look at each other whent hey are talking, as its not required for communication.

on the flip side, one thing that really bothers me as a hearing person, is when im at work, or around my deaf friends, watching tv or something, if anyone moves thier hands...to scratch thier nose or anything...i immediatly look to see if they were trying to get my attention to talk to me. worse was the christmas tree this year with the blinking lights, i constantly would turn to look at it to see if it was someone trying to get my attention.

Wait till you hear this. I was working for a company delivering copy machinces. When I got to my desintation, as I walked into the office, the first guy there asked me if I was a Christian. I said to him " I am a spiritlist." A few minutes later he came down to apologize to me and asked if he can help me "heal" my hearing. I had to stifle my laughter and I say " Go ahead." He then proceed to put his hands on my hears and "talking to God". The whole damn time, my hearing aid was whistling because the way that guy put his hands on my ear. When he was done, I told him I was still deaf. I also metion to him his faith must not be that strong since he didn't "heal me". I may have been mean, but I'm tired of people coming up to me thinking they are like Benny Hinn the fake healer. Get the point people. I AM D E A F!!

:laugh2: @ Levonian!, Good one. ;)

It hasn't happened to me because they get it at the first time, I tell them "I'm sorry I'm deaf," They either take a hike or talk to me slowly.

But, I remember one time, I was at the Grocery supermarket standing in the line in the express checkout waiting, This lady in front of me end up talking to me, I understood her but it just she never stop talking, she blabbing her mouth about her life, I'm standing there nodding and smiling, then I feel like telling her that I'm deaf so she would stop talking? Why not give it a try, so I did, She jumped and apology thousands of times. I said to myself when and what would take a woman to shut up? :dizzy:

Levonian said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh myy you're killin' me here....

The lady at the laundromat was deaf and blind, or at least she must have been. :)

Back