the highest elevation you have been at?

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I wanted to see any of u have been to the highest point, where (state or country) and what was the elevation eg: 6,900 ft.

When me and my family and my best friend joined in went up to the mountains in the rockies states, we reached 10,200 ft. elevation by driving on a small 2 lane road from I-70. There was a small town called Leadville, Colorado. It was very tiny. it is the highest elevated town/city in the United states so far I know.

The other time, when I went with my parents and my cousin, we went up to the mountains in Northeast Utah, we reached at very high 10,800' elevation, they have a road going to 11,000 ft, but we didn't go far because my dad was having breathing problems cuz the air was too thin for him, I wanted to go more higher.

The highest elevation on foot was about 9,500 ft elevation from the base at 6,600' where we parked our car and walked 5 miles to the final spot to camp out for few days up in the rocky Sierra mountain range in California west of Lake Tahoe basin. It was a fun hike with lots to see! :)

Oh baby! Colorado! I've been to the summit of Pikes Peak in Colorado. My birth mom actually lives about 20 minutes or so from it (as did I for a year, never ceased to amaze me. I got to walk past it everyday to get to school.) The height of Pikes Peak is 14,110 feet.

I've also been to Estes Park, which is 7522 feet. =D

Cool thread... The highest elevation I have been from hiking is Mt. Timpanogos, which is about 11,749 feet. It took 12 hours roundtrip but I loved it. I have also ascended other mountains such as Deseret Peak (11,031 ft.), Mt. Olympus (9,026 ft), Naomi Peak (9,979 ft), etc... It is my goal to ascend King's Peak in Utah, which is the highest elevation in Utah, with about 13,500 feet. I also hope to ascend other peaks in Salt Lake County such as Twin Peaks, Lone Peaks, Pfefferhorn, etc... I love hiking.

PS:
<-- the avatar picture was taken on the summit of Deseret Peak, with a view of Great Salt Lake behind me.

The highest I've ever gone was above 9,000 feet. That was 20 years ago when I went to Aspen Camp School for the Deaf.

Pike's Peak in Colorado. It was easy since all I had to do was to take the tram.

pinkster said:
Oh baby! Colorado! I've been to the summit of Pikes Peak in Colorado. The height of Pikes Peak is 14,110 feet.

me too. that was summer of 1976.

Highest elevation? Probably while I was in a plane. ;)

Unless you meant on land...then that would have to be one of these mountains you drive up - my father took me once - it's up in Lake Placid. Not sure how high exactly it is, but I remember it taking quite a while to drive up.

The highest elevation I touched was the Andes mountains overlooking Quito, Ecuador. I travelled from Quito, to Banos, to Guayaquil thru the Andes range to the coast, but I don't know all the exact elevations that I touched. The city Quito is in a valley at elevation 9,200 ft., and I hiked the mountain above that. The mountain is an active volcano, Guagua Pichincha, at 15,692 ft (4784 m). A small earthquake happened while I was there.

I slept on the mountain overnight. In the morning, it was a weird sight. From the mountain I looked down into the valley. The entire huge capital city Quito disappeared under the clouds below me. It was like the whole world went back in time.

been to two of highest peaks in the nation, Mt Elbert (14,433) and Holy Cross (14,005) when i lived in Vail, CO. they have snow on summit year round except august.

The highest peak I ever walked across: Ant Hill ...

Sea level 0 to 11,543 ft. with backpacking for 3 day hike to the top. Stayed there at top for a day and then went back down to the sea level in 2 days. I reached that Mt. at Canada B.C. and I forgot the Mt. name anyway. It was 3 years ago. It was a fun hike!

not good with calculations.. so guys pls help me out.. i have gone to mt rainier, mt. st. helen, top of yosemite national park, grand canyon, a mountain in vancouver, b.c (forget the name of it grrr) .. thats pretty much it.. ohh.. the great wall in china ... i think that is all.. if my memory serves me right!! :lol: so help me out here with the numbers!!! :lol:

too lazy to do the calculations today hehe :smoking:

I found some pix from the Andes.

Showing before and after the early morning clouds. Also, me wearing native poncho, after sleeping on the mountain overnight. Very cheap camera, very old pix, so please excuse the bad quality. :)

Attachments

• mtview1.jpg
    mtview1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2
  • mtview2.jpg
    mtview2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3
  • mtview3.jpg
    mtview3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 7
FeistyChick said:
not good with calculations.. so guys pls help me out.. i have gone to mt rainier, mt. st. helen, top of yosemite national park, grand canyon, a mountain in vancouver, b.c (forget the name of it grrr) .. thats pretty much it.. ohh.. the great wall in china ... i think that is all.. if my memory serves me right!! :lol: so help me out here with the numbers!!! :lol:

too lazy to do the calculations today hehe :smoking:

You went to top of Mt. rainier and St. Helens? The viewpoints around Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier is generally between 3,000 to 6,000 ft elevation.

:lol:

Mammoth Mountain: 11,059 ft at the summit, 7,953 feet at the base. I have snowboarded on the mountain but I didn't go to the very top-- Was just a beginner. So I will said I have been to 9,000 something.... :dunno:
It is all way north in California, two hours south of Lake Tahoe.

Palomar Mountain in San Diego County (where the famous observatory is at) is 6,000ft high... I went up there for a night sightsee for the stars but it was cloudy and they showed us a slideshow of different stars instead. Blah.

Malfoyish-- Lake Placid in New York has the summit elevation of 4,650' but the base is 1,220 feet... Not sure if I got the location right because there is another Lake Placid in Florida. :)

Back