The face veil: your opinion

It doesn't really bother me, what other people choose to wear.

Actually, helping the less fortunate is a definite big thing in Islam. This actually came up with someone here recently regarding Muslim cab drivers using Islam as an excuse to deny blind guide dog users a ride. Yes, contact with a dog's saliva is considered dirty, but it's not exactly right to leave a blind person stranded, is it? Of course not. One could simply leave a towel or mat in the trunk to use if a passenger needs to bring in a service dog.

In that same thought.. very very few groups in Islam consider niqab an obligation. Thus, the woman could simply remove the face-covering portion of her hijab if someone absolutely needed to see it, for things like court appearences, ID photographs, and yes.. helping a deaf person speechread. This "going half way" measure is absolutely acceptable to almost all people who are Muslim, and doesn't really involve much effort on the part of the woman doing it- most niqabi women I've met wear the half-niqab, which is essentially just a peice of fabric with an elastic strip.. not much of a hassle.
I was referring to a deaf person in another country where this veil thing is standard. They don't exactly follow "people's rights" laws.

In that other country, that cab driver would more likely have a right to deny a blind person with a seeing dog from riding a cab.

Here in America, the driver would have to allow that person to ride.

They do have court cases where the veiled woman unveils only for the purpose of trial, since it's for legal issues and not for the public.

I would walk away(not to be rude). If I can`t see the lips then I can`t understand them.

...In that other country, that cab driver would more likely have a right to deny a blind person with a seeing dog from riding a cab.
In that country, the blind person probably wouldn't even have a seeing eye dog.

In that country, the blind person probably wouldn't even have a seeing eye dog.

No, they probably wouldn't work with a guide dog, because there's a large and cultural fear of dogs. But please, don't say it as though it's a huge shame.

No, they probably wouldn't work with a guide dog, because there's a large and cultural fear of dogs. But please, don't say it as though it's a huge shame.
What do you mean?

I would walk away(not to be rude). If I can`t see the lips then I can`t understand them.

It would be a clash of two cultures...their culture of women covering themselves up and the Deaf culture's needs for visual cues. Both cultures need to work together and respect each other's values. I guess the pen and paper solution would be the best one.

I have never seen anyone completely cover their face. I have seen a few students growing up that cover themselves, except the face. I don't have an opinion because I haven't had a problem with it.

It's hard for me to understand the real reason for covering up their faces. I think it has a lot to do with men overpowering women in their country by telling them what to do. I think they grow up to believe what they are being told.

Some things, I just don't get it. I don't think the veil has ever been an issue for me. If I was in their country, then it wouldn't matter because I don't speak their language : ) lol, but if they speak English, then they could only write it down, of course.

It would be a clash of two cultures...their culture of women covering themselves up and the Deaf culture's needs for visual cues. Both cultures need to work together and respect each other's values. I guess the pen and paper solution would be the best one.

I know you and Vampy are right. I would just like to be meant halfway.

The wording "wouldn't even have" made it sound as though you preceived that to be a horrible thing. I might've misunderstood you. If so, I apologise.
If blind people in Muslim countries don't have access to seeing eye dogs, then that would be a horrible thing, yes.

Do blind people in Muslim countries have full access to seeing eye, hearing, and other service dogs? :dunno2: Are they allowed to bring their service animals every where in Muslim countries? If they are, then that's good. :)

response from a veiled muslim

I haven't read all the responses but it seems everyone assumes a muslim woman covers her face and thats not the norm. typically we only cover our hair and so far with my asl classes, it has not been an issuing with my signing. :giggle:

i can't speak for all muslims but open mindedness goes both ways. I have found it so hard to assimilate into the deaf community because they see my scarf and turn away. it is there right to do so but at the same time they should remember how it feels when a hearing person does that to them.

i guess all i want to add is that you should not let what you hear about something or someone affect how you act towards them without first experiencing it first hand.

Just because i have had a few unpleasant experiences with the deaf communiting ignoring me, doesnt mean i believe all deaf people hate muslims. i know there are like minded people like me in the deaf community and i will keep trying to form lasting relationships. :ty:

I haven't read all the responses but it seems everyone assumes a muslim woman covers her face and thats not the norm. typically we only cover our hair and so far with my asl classes, it has not been an issuing with my signing. :giggle:

i can't speak for all muslims but open mindedness goes both ways. I have found it so hard to assimilate into the deaf community because they see my scarf and turn away. it is there right to do so but at the same time they should remember how it feels when a hearing person does that to them.

i guess all i want to add is that you should not let what you hear about something or someone affect how you act towards them without first experiencing it first hand.

Just because i have had a few unpleasant experiences with the deaf communiting ignoring me, doesnt mean i believe all deaf people hate muslims. i know there are like minded people like me in the deaf community and i will keep trying to form lasting relationships. :ty:

Hey, I've lived and travelled to many predominantly muslim countries and get so frustrated and aggravated with people's ignorance about islam and muslims. I'm glad you posted here! Hopefully now some people will think twice.

I have many Muslim friends and none of them wear the veil. Most of them wear hijaab which is requirement in Islam and I see no problem with that.

However, if veiled women tried to talk me, I would try do pen and paper / mobile method. This has happened to me quite few times and all times I've succeeded.

Halhad, if you live in UK. You'll see that's quite an opposite, no deaf people I know, hates/dislikes Muslims.

I have lived in a muslim country and saw many dog pets running around the cor niche(but though I did not see the dogs frequently but the numbers are growing at every years). I even have cuddle them. As much as I know, if the saliva fall on your hand or dish, then I have to wash my hand or that dishes. There was a story(Islam...but not in Quran it was in hadeeth), about a women who was prostitute and she fed a thirsty dog with water and her sins were forgiven for that kindness.

About the hijab, I wear but to cover my hair....that all. But niqab is not an obligation,so I dont wear it.More and more women are wearing only hijab. Generally, whenever I face a veil woman, I tell her about my deafness and needing to lipread. They do lift their veil and if they dont, I go pen and paper method. But mostly it will be tough for deaf men and boys to communicate with them.

Women wear niqab for various reason. But I know it is not always for a strictly traditional reason. My mom told me about her aunt story took place during war between Bangladesh and Pakistan. That time, army used to abduct women who were very pretty and they were never found. Her aunt was pretty. Hence she covered her face and escape to her village. It was done for protection.

Please note...I am in no way forcing or lecturing anyone in this post.

i don't really care.. people have the right to choose what they wear.

if someone who was wearing a face veil came up to me and started talking to me, i'd just simply take a paper&pen and ask them to write it down. no biggie

i don't really care.. people have the right to choose what they wear.

if someone who was wearing a face veil came up to me and started talking to me, i'd just simply take a paper&pen and ask them to write it down. no biggie

I have to admit that I did a double take when I saw two veiled women wearing black burqas walking out of their motel room in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I really really admired their courage because that is one redneck town.

What about men that have big mustaches that cover their lips, you can't ask them to shave it off.

it's not a fear of dogs

actually it's not a fear of the dog but that contact with the saliva of the dog is considered unclean. But the dog itself is not a problem,

and if you'll let me complicate the issue there are interpretations where dogs can be kept for certain purposes.

So muslims don't keep dogs as pets but there are muslims with guide dogs and a few years back in brittian a council of islamic scholars issues a ruling that guide dogs should be allowed in mosques.

Back