Status
Not open for further replies.

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Teen: Retailer refused to hire over head scarf
Complaint filed against Abercrombie & Fitch for denying Muslim girl a job

TULSA, Okla. - A Muslim civil rights group has filed a federal complaint on behalf of a Muslim teenager who alleges she was denied a job at Abercrombie & Fitch because she wears a hijab, or head scarf.

The complaint, filed at the Oklahoma City office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, claims that a district manager for the clothing store at Woodland Hills Mall told the girl in late June that the head covering, worn by observant Muslim women, didn't fit the chain's image.

"Employers have a clear legal duty to accommodate the religious practices of their workers," said Razi Hashmi, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations-Oklahoma, which helped the girl file the complaint. "To deny someone employment because of apparent religious bias goes against long-standing American traditions of tolerance and inclusion."

Hashmi declined to name the girl, but said she is younger than 18.

Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, employers must reasonably accommodate the religious practices of an employee unless doing so would create an undue hardship for the employer.

A manager at the Tulsa store referred all questions to the corporate office, which didn't return calls.

Teen says head scarf cost her a job - Life - MSNBC.com

Oh my dear... again!!! I posted that similar article at other thread few minutes ago... :roll:

Who cares? AF is heavily based on American culture, I'm not really care about muslim because they are little too extreme.

I never shopping at AF, I prefer AE over AF.

Who cares? AF is heavily based on American culture, I'm not really care about muslim because they are little too extreme.

Yay, ignorance! :roll:

I don't understand who'd shop there in the first place. They sell clothes for snooty, insecure people.

I don't understand who'd shop there in the first place. They sell clothes for snooty, insecure people.

Apparently it sounds like you shopped in there before. :)

Afterall, how do you know that they sell clothes to snooty, insecure people?

Apparently it sounds like you shopped in there before. :)

Afterall, how do you know that they sell clothes to snooty, insecure people?

Never shopped there. I go to Walmart for clothes.

And how do I know? I had knew snooty (or rude) people in high school that wore AE and AF clothes.

Just cuz they were snooty doesnt mean the whole population to where A & F are snooty as well...i love abercrombie clothes as well as hollister, etc but not to say that I don't love a bargain and will buy a shirt that is 5 dollars if i can get away with it..plus i can still fit kids clothes cuz im so tiny so i can get away with gap kids etc as well..its a style that I like..and i am not snooty

mostly people who from outside USA they respectives as cultures

i saw one women from my hometown at mall in NLR,Ar who using head scraf they wont removes but i dont blames her i dont know where she from i would leave her alone dues respectives.

mostly people who from outside USA they respectives as cultures

i saw one women from my hometown at mall in NLR,Ar who using head scraf they wont removes but i dont blames her i dont know where she from i would leave her alone dues respectives.

Okay

Their clothes tend to target the population who have tiny bods so it is kinda snotty of them in a way.

Never shopped there. I go to Walmart for clothes.

And how do I know? I had knew snooty (or rude) people in high school that wore AE and AF clothes.

It just means that you had a bad experience with several members from high school that patronzied the store. No big deal.

The store doesn't have any control who shops there or not.

And unfortunately, you are showing ignorance on your part.

Regardless, they shouldn't be forcing Muslims to remove their headdresses. That is definitely the bigger picture here.

They should not have said that directly to her.

Anyway, but it's hard for me to understand why a Muslim female with a scarf want to work there because I mean, they cover their head for a reason. Many times they cover their body, so they seem covered from head to toe in their country. I don't understand why a Muslim female would want to work at AF.

Anyway, but it's hard for me to understand why a Muslim female with a scarf want to work there because I mean, they cover their head for a reason. Many times they cover their body, so they seem covered from head to toe in their country. I don't understand why a Muslim female would want to work at AF.

:gpost: Afterall AF is selling an image.

well if she can prove that that is what happened A&F will be getting theirs haha

this is America, not middle east..hello?! goodwill is best place for muslims to work at.

Why not? There's no law on the books that forbids people from working wherever they please.

They are not supposed to discriminate against people. There are anti-discrimination laws on the books.

How would you feel if someone refused to hire you because you're deaf? It's the exactly same thing as refusing to hire someone who wears a religious garment.

this is America, not middle east..hello?! goodwill is best place for muslims to work at.

Again, you people have been exposed to years of anti-Muslim brainwashing. You need to realize that we live in a country full of diversity and we need to show more respect to Muslim-Americans. The view that all Muslims are evil, etc is unfair and ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back