Taken Girls = No male friends?

ExR

Reaction score
Firstly, sorry for the vague topic title!

There's something I've been wondering about recently. It seems that many* females don't have male friends while they're in a relationship. For example, I've lost touch with many female friends shortly after they've entered a relationship with someone. This is odd because in most cases (bar a few) we were only ever friends anyway!

Is it purely a coincidence? Or is there something more to it? Has anyone else noticed this?

*"Many" does not imply all!

I am a married woman and I still have several male friends including a few here on AD. My hubby trusts me.

I am a married woman and I still have several male friends including a few here on AD. My hubby trusts me.

I'm not sure the online world counts. The internet is a barrier, and a fairly big one at that. Sure, I'm not doubting the fact that it's used to form real friendships. But more often than not, people are often some distance away and that's enough to give people a sense of security. (even though it can potentially be false!)

Would your hubby mind if you frequently met up with male friends for:

- Lunch?
- Bowling?
- Cinema?
- Outdoor sports?
- Going to bars?

I'm not sure the online world counts. The internet is a barrier, and a fairly big one at that. Sure, I'm not doubting the fact that it's used to form real friendships. But more often than not, people are often some distance away and that's enough to give people a sense of security. (even though it can potentially be false!)

- Lunch?
- Bowling?
- Cinema?
- Outdoor sports?
- Going to bars?

I have gone to a bar with two male friends from AD. I have gone to lunch with my male friends. However, I dont do that too often because I would rather spend my free time with my family but every now and then if my hubby is stuck home with our son, I would go out with some of my male friends to a bar.

Wirelessly posted

Although I do know what you're talking about, luckily for me, they're far and few. Unfortunately, I tend to dwell on the ones that pull that crap.

i still do hang out with my male friends, even I'm in a relationship now. My BF trusts me :)

I had several girlfriends....we all went out on the weekends, having great fun...but soon as they hooked up with a guy in a relationship...they no longer would go out....or even hang out!...Never could understand it....
One girlfriend didn't even want her friends over to her apartment, she was afraid they would try to take the guy away from her....

Some people are just non-trusting....suspicious...whatever.....

There's something I've been wondering about recently. It seems that many* females don't have male friends while they're in a relationship. For example, I've lost touch with many female friends shortly after they've entered a relationship with someone. This is odd because in most cases (bar a few) we were only ever friends anyway!

Is it purely a coincidence? Or is there something more to it? Has anyone else noticed this?

Women who do this for morality reasons come from a quality caliber in my book, just an opinion though. It signifies strengthful commitment in terms of the relationship between her and her significant other.

Don't get me wrong as I'm not implying that all/every women should be like this. I'm just saying it's just a desirable trait to be noticed if they choose to aspire in that way on their own free will.

plan B

Could be you were just a security net until Mr. Right came along. They play you like a violin.

I don't know about "taken" girls because I'm a married woman. However, as a happily married woman, I can say that I have friends who are male, and Hubby has friends who are women. That's not a problem. Hubby and I are each other's best friend, and our other friends don't even come close.

Probably your female friends just don't have free time for you when they are busy with their boyfriends.

I don't know about "taken" girls because I'm a married woman. However, as a happily married woman, I can say that I have friends who are male, and Hubby has friends who are women. That's not a problem. Hubby and I are each other's best friend, and our other friends don't even come close.

Probably your female friends just don't have free time for you when they are busy with their boyfriends.

Yeah, I think as same as yours; I don't see any problem to be friend with male friends.

- Lunch?
- Bowling?
- Cinema?
- Outdoor sports?
- Going to bars?
I've been to lunch with male friends but not frequently; I don't eat out frequently, and my preference is to eat out with Hubby.

We go bowling with our family.

We go to IMAX about once every other year.

Outdoor spectator sports? Not interested unless a family member is involved.

I don't go to bars.

Bottom line is, I have very little free time, so I prefer to use it spending time with Hubby doing activities that we both enjoy like going to the beach, bike rides, shooting range, touring, or watching old movies on TV.

ExR - Really? I don't think so. Look at me...I've been in a real long time relationship and I happen to be continuing to make a lots of male friends ever since then. I don't know why I have hard time making friends with females..I wish I knew. It always have been that way since I was in high school. I seem get along with men so easy and faster than women does. *shrugs* In a real life, nearly rest of my close friends and best friends are male especially gay male. In my experience, I felt that I trust more in male friends than female friends or you may call it so-called friends because I notice that sometimes females are tend to be two-faced, close-minded on some issues, shy or uncomfortable, drama bitch, and gossip to others...they seem tend to be bored with me after there is not much common interests among us, not much topics to discuss like they are limited to. Lesbian females are a bit far out of my league to be close friend with.

I still go out at bars to meet my guy friends without my bf, out for lunch/dinner without him, at cafes w/o him, even travelling with across the country while my bf isnt around with me. This shows you don't necessarily have to be dependent on significant other or spouse daily especially in your freetime.

My bf has always been aware a high number of male friends I have. He, of course, trusts in me even if something happens when a friend is trying to mess around with me, I'd tell my bf. it does happen a several male friends or recent new friends trying to "get" me and 2 of them begged me to break up with my bf which is uncool. I have always tried to be blunt about it to them. Those men who tried to "get" me didn't know me that well from the beginning so the time goes by they learned my bluntness and seriousness personality they got lost interest and left me alone. It worked. Lol. I ain't no feckin' easy gal. Oh, yeah not to mention some females (I thought some were my friends but not) tried to ruin my relationship just 'cause they're jealous of me having him. Whatever.

Another possibility to consider:

Some women will avoid being around men purely because of the fact that their significant other would not like it. Like: Jealousy, possessivness, distrust.

and so on.

Have to take this on a case-by-case basis. Some male-female friendships are just inappropriate when in a relationship, such as when there is a past romantic history between the two, but even if there is no past, it still doesn't mean it's okay. Call me old fashion, but I would prefer that my GF does not spend a lot of time with other men, except in group situations or when I am present. I believe in trust and respect and all that in a relationship, but I don't usually trust the other man. But again, gotta go on a case-by-case basis. I always listen to my gut. If it tells me not to worry, then I don't; if it does, then I bring it to attention that I am uncomfortable. My instincts are usually right.

Back