T-Mobile Considering Purchase of Sprint (Recent News)

Yes, thats correct. GSM covers 85 to 90% market internationally. CDMA has about 10% market primarily in North America such as Canada and USA. Japan and South Korea's CDMA technology is totally different from the rest of the world. Even Sprint/Verizon/Atell Blackberry devices won't work in those Asian countries. In other words, Sprint BlackBerry models except 8830 and Tour also won't work in other GSM 250 plus countries.

It is likely for Deutsche Telekom AG to offer a bid on Sprint in several weeks from now.

Further link: CDMA vs GSM - Difference and Comparison - Diffen

One more thing. Sprint Corp. keeps on losing 500k to 900k customers per quarter since two years. Their market value is now $10 billion with debt of $21 billion.

Yes, thats correct. GSM covers 85 to 90% market internationally. CDMA has about 10% market primarily in North America such as Canada and USA. Japan and South Korea's CDMA technology is totally different from the rest of the world. Even Sprint/Verizon/Atell Blackberry devices won't work in those Asian countries. In other words, Sprint BlackBerry models except 8830 and Tour also won't work in other GSM 250 plus countries.

It is likely for Deutsche Telekom AG to offer a bid on Sprint in several weeks from now.

Further link: CDMA vs GSM - Difference and Comparison - Diffen

Yup, I have Tour that support GSM and CDMA., from Verizon.

I hopefully that Sprint will reject the tmobile's bid, I'm going start feel so bad for Reba due victim of fraud by Sprint.

Yup, I have Tour that support GSM and CDMA., from Verizon.

I hopefully that Sprint will reject the tmobile's bid, I'm going start feel so bad for Reba due victim of fraud by Sprint.
:ty:

I see a lot of comments talking about what the different carriers have, as far as networks. But I have not really seen anyone say specifically why this would be such a bad idea for either company.

Sprint has a good 3G/4G network and the 4G is expanding. T-Mobile has a laughable 3G network. This would be a good move on T-Mobile's part.

As for Alltel/Verizon...ever since Verizon bought Alltel, and they have been converting towers and all that garbage, I have had nothing but a crappy signal...

MyTouch here I come...

I see a lot of comments talking about what the different carriers have, as far as networks. But I have not really seen anyone say specifically why this would be such a bad idea for either company.

Sprint has a good 3G/4G network and the 4G is expanding. T-Mobile has a laughable 3G network. This would be a good move on T-Mobile's part.

As for Alltel/Verizon...ever since Verizon bought Alltel, and they have been converting towers and all that garbage, I have had nothing but a crappy signal...

MyTouch here I come...

Actually, someone did post why this is a bad idea. If they did merge, T-Mobile phones would not get any better coverage, and neither would Sprint. Instead, everyone who has a phone from either one would need to replace it with a phone that works on both GSM and CDMA to take advantage of both networks. Remember that they have different networks that are not compatible.

Actually, someone did post why this is a bad idea. If they did merge, T-Mobile phones would not get any better coverage, and neither would Sprint. Instead, everyone who has a phone from either one would need to replace it with a phone that works on both GSM and CDMA to take advantage of both networks. Remember that they have different networks that are not compatible.

Agreed, this person is really don't know.

I'm Verizon user, after merge with Alltel so our coverage is just still fine.

Agreed, this person is really don't know.

I'm Verizon user, after merge with Alltel so our coverage is just still fine.

So I don't know because your phone seems to not have it's coverage drop? Guess what, coverage is not the same everywhere, it vaires from place to place. And in my location...it's dropping.

dkf747 said:
everyone who has a phone from either one would need to replace it

Have any facts to back this up with? I seriously doubt customer's would be forced to replace their phones...

MyTouch here I come...

Oh well, I don't think Deutsche Telekom is stupid about integrating two network. I am pretty sure that they are gonna to phase CDMA out somewhow, who knows? They know exactly what they are doing with a bid. Let's not forget Germany's T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) is number 8 for the largest mobile provider in the world.

List of mobile network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have any facts to back this up with? I seriously doubt customer's would be forced to replace their phones...

Sure,. my TMO Blackberry 8700G (GSM) will not work on Sprint's network (CDMA), nor will my wife's sidekick 2008, or my daughters' phones. My Sprint Blackberry 8703e will not work on TMO's network. These are phones we have right now. If these companies merge then I will have to replace all of these phones to take advantage of the new merged network or be satisfied with the same old network. If I have to do that then there is no advantage to a merger.l

Sure,. my TMO Blackberry 8700G (GSM) will not work on Sprint's network (CDMA), nor will my wife's sidekick 2008, or my daughters' phones. My Sprint Blackberry 8703e will not work on TMO's network. These are phones we have right now. If these companies merge then I will have to replace all of these phones to take advantage of the new merged network or be satisfied with the same old network. If I have to do that then there is no advantage to a merger.l

What you have provided me is not fact unless you can quote a source. Do you have a source? Do you really think that if they merge, they are not smart enough to figure out how to make the phone's compatible with out the need to replace every phone coming from one network to the other? Anything is possible...

Keep in mind that Sprint may be phasing out it's network and will be switching to LTE.

These are called sources...
http://gigaom.com/2009/03/09/sprint-evaluating-lte-equipment/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/10/sprint-keeping-its-options-open-with-lte/
http://gizmodo.com/5167321/sprint-testing-lte-equipment-whither-wimax

So I don't know because your phone seems to not have it's coverage drop? Guess what, coverage is not the same everywhere, it vaires from place to place. And in my location...it's dropping.

I have NO coverage issue with my Verizon phone, always got great bars at most time so merge with Alltel has very small impact on network.

What you have provided me is not fact unless you can quote a source. Do you have a source? Do you really think that if they merge, they are not smart enough to figure out how to make the phone's compatible with out the need to replace every phone coming from one network to the other? Anything is possible...

Keep in mind that Sprint may be phasing out it's network and will be switching to LTE.

These are called sources...
Sprint Evaluating LTE Equipment
Sprint keeping its options open with LTE?
Sprint Testing LTE Equipment; Whither WiMax? - lte - Gizmodo

It is a fact that my phones will not work on their network. It is a fact that to change their CDMA network to GSM would take years to do. I know waht sources are. Most of our phones on TMO will not work on WIMAX or LTE so what's your point about that? I don't need a source to tell me that. Your sources don't say they WILL switch to LTE, but that they are EVALUATING it. Regardless, none of our phones work on LTE, making it necessary to replace them all.

I have personal reasons for disliking Sprint. Their managment has a bad attitude, and their business practices aren't ethical.

When T-mobile acquired Suncom we didn't have to replace our Suncom equipment. We just took our phone and BB to the T-mobile store and got them reprogrammed (no cost).

I have personal reasons for disliking Sprint. Their managment has a bad attitude, and their business practices aren't ethical.

When T-mobile acquired Suncom we didn't have to replace our Suncom equipment. We just took our phone and BB to the T-mobile store and got them reprogrammed (no cost).

Also, I hate Sprint call center as well.

It is a fact that my phones will not work on their network. It is a fact that to change their CDMA network to GSM would take years to do. I know waht sources are. Most of our phones on TMO will not work on WIMAX or LTE so what's your point about that? I don't need a source to tell me that. Your sources don't say they WILL switch to LTE, but that they are EVALUATING it. Regardless, none of our phones work on LTE, making it necessary to replace them all.

Yup, it will cost alot for tmobile to switch from CDMA to GSM, it could take much as 10 years to be completed.

Sprint need rid of Nextel so badly.

Back