Switching Between Languages

iMaisie

Resident Glaswegian
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it sometimes hard to switch between languages? I do.

Take, JSL for instance. We're very mouthy. We use our mouths ALOT to express certain differences in the signs we use. Which can be hard when I'm switching to either BSL or ASL due to the fact that it's not really required and I've been frowned upon for doing it in the past.

I'm also awful for finger writing and fingerspelling as I'm used to Yubimoji. Most of the time I end up doing this because I'm STILL not used to the names of most places and familiar signs and such. Also, simply because it's a habit as Yubimoji and finger writing is encouraged in Japan due to having to sign out the Kanji and occasionally the Kana.

Last but not least, I end up switching out of no where. I forget whom I'm signing with. Lately, I've been switching between BSL and ASL accidentally and I've had quite a few bewildered stares.

Anyways, I'm just curious, does anyone else struggle with this embarrassing ordeal?

Wow, you are one smart cookie knowing all these languages. I am glad that I do not have your issues! But, I do have issues w/ others not using face expressions/moving their lips when they are signing to me.

Wow, you are one smart cookie knowing all these languages. I am glad that I do not have your issues! But, I do have issues w/ others not using face expressions/moving their lips when they are signing to me.

Aww, thank you, Cappy! :mrgreen: That's so sweet of you to say.

I often have that problem with those who are not quite fluent in sign yet. They often sign slow and sluggish so I prefer for them to move their lips while they sign - it just makes it easier for me.

well, I'd be one signing slow and sluggish...it's awesome that you have so many SL's, Maisie! I have a "smattering" of other spoken language words or phrases - Yiddish, Hebrew, more Spanish <majored in it college and have used that at work, when I was working outside the home>. I think it's a great thing to have multi-language skills of any degree.

I have a problem switch from asl to spoken English. I hate how many words there are in English and I can't help all the letters. I never learned phonic. My husband is always like long sound, that word has a long sound. Did anyone else know letters make 2 sounds? Urg late spoken english.

Yes! Long vowel, short vowel, silent letters and combnations making no sense, 1+1=3 LIke your husband, my wife helps me too. And I often bitch about why a word is not pronounced the way its spelled! Total BS. :)

well, I'd be one signing slow and sluggish...it's awesome that you have so many SL's, Maisie! I have a "smattering" of other spoken language words or phrases - Yiddish, Hebrew, more Spanish <majored in it college and have used that at work, when I was working outside the home>. I think it's a great thing to have multi-language skills of any degree.

Sorry dogmom. That was a bit of a bad generalisation for me to make. I just mean that most people I've interacted with whom are still learning sign, are hard for me to interact with. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, it was unintentional. Please accept my apologies :hug:

That's awesome that you know Hebrew and Yiddish! I don't know much about those languages but they sound very interesting :mrgreen:

I have a problem switch from asl to spoken English. I hate how many words there are in English and I can't help all the letters. I never learned phonic. My husband is always like long sound, that word has a long sound. Did anyone else know letters make 2 sounds? Urg late spoken english.

Yes! Long vowel, short vowel, silent letters and combnations making no sense, 1+1=3 LIke your husband, my wife helps me too. And I often bitch about why a word is not pronounced the way its spelled! Total BS. :)

Agree with you both. The English language has far too many words. It's exhausting. Not to mention slang!!! It's the bane of my existence. I've already had this rant before so I'll leave it there but yeah, I write better than I speak, let's say :lol:

dont find it to hard..
i have a knack for it...
must be nice. I do not. I have a hard talk reading, spelling, and saying words. I like asl it is short and to the point and people don't know if you can say it out loud. haha

I wish I was half as smart as you are you are incredible:):hug:

LOL...have gotten so many stares and giggles over words not pronounced the way they are spelled. 1 I do remember is "San Juan"...pronounced "San Wan"...Not "San Juan"...

Maisie, no you didn't hurt my feelings and it's no worry! No issue there, I wasn't thinking that... :) and no, I don't know Hebrew and Yiddish, just a few words from each. I can read Hebrew if it's transliterated <using English alphabet>.
:) like the hug anyway though!

LOL...have gotten so many stares and giggles over words not pronounced the way they are spelled. 1 I do remember is "San Juan"...pronounced "San Wan"...Not "San Juan"...
Can't blame English on that one. :lol:

When I went shopping with Finlay I would tell him to 'sit' and people would look at me like :eek: so I asked my daughter when I said sit what did it sound like and she
said it sounded like sh1t ! I add a letter to 's' words that doesn't belong there . Finlay knew what I meant and he would sit down , he never took a sh1t ! LOL!

Do not have much issues flipping, unless it is a new language I am working on.

Yrs ago, went to a new family Dr for my yearly physical. After it was done and Dr was doing paper work, I asked him how many "clients" he has. He looked up, said nothing. I thought maybe he did not understand me, so I tried it again, doing my best to speak clearly. Same outcome, he looked up and said nothing. Got home, wife asked me how I liked the new Dr. I said he is an asshole. She asks me why. I told her that I was asking him how many "clients" he has and he never replied. Wife says: OMG!! you were asking him how many clits he has! *facepalm*

Back