Super Nanny has picked a deaf couple

i was like :confused: When he said "they said it 90% deaf parents with hearing childern have that plm!" which i thought it´s behavior, he point out since the posters described about 4 hearing children´s social behavior.

:ty: For correct my post.

yw!

i already watch this and wow! sad! BUT I KNOW THEM CUZ OF I MET THEM ON CRUISE LAST YR!!!!!!! when i saw them i was MY GOD! I MET THEM!

jillio thank! yea i know it sad.. but is it emabmass (spel! yikes lol!) for deaf community??
to me, it seems like.. but it is wake up call! yup good thing i am still single.. so iknow this! :D

Hi--I have two little girls that I use voice with. No sign language. They know a couple of signs for key words like "milk", "hurt", "sleep" to name a few.

Most of the time I can understand my little ones BUT I do miss out sometimes on three way conversations. When I don't understand, I let my girls know by saying I don't understand. Sometimes I catch it on the second or third try but the idea is to have the patience there. Sometimes I make my older girl tell me in a complete sentence what she wanted when she gets too "babyish" in communicating. She knows I can't hear like her daddy but that is no excuse to demand what she wants with one sign. I will probably teach them the fingerspelling when they are older but they need to keep communicating with the whole world. They're doing pretty well. Last month, my old best friend said my older girl who's only 3 3/4 is actually speaking better than her five and 1/2 yr old son. I was surprised by that. Never thought it would be that significant.

By the way, the kids are in bed within 15 minutes of going to bed or ELSE. This is Mama & Daddy's time. I know I sound like a bitch but that's what I am.

Yes, watched it on Friday, thought it was very interesting...

Honestly, it´s not just deaf parents who depend on their hearing children as interpreter but hearing parents as well to their hearing children for their deaf siblings...

Yes, I'm aware of this. I've seen a lot of hearing parents whom are dependent on their hearing child to interpret for their other deaf siblings. It's kind of sad in a way when these parents are the ones that should be able to communicate with their deaf child.

In my case, I was fortunate because my mother knew SEE and was totally involved in my education upbringing. When I got a bit older, she then learned ASL. She would once never ask my sister, step-sister and brother to interpret for me. She in fact encouraged them to learn ASL. She also made my siblings use the fingerspelling while they do their spelling homework, made them read closed captioning on TV and she would refuse to allow my sibling to use her as an "interpreter". She always made them come to me and to talk to me.

Unfortunately, as for my father, He on the other hand was opposite and usually would ask my sister to interpret for him. My sister often would interpret for the rest of the family members on my dad's side except for one aunt that is a better signer.

I remember when I went to both deaf schools in Indiana and Kentucky, I'd see a case after a case where few of my friends often complained about not wanting to go home for the weekend. When I asked them why they didn't want to go home? They often would say they're bored and they would have to ask their hearing sibling to interpret for them. More than half of the time, I could relate to them because it leads to a lot of frustrations when being met to these dreadful words that many of us in the deaf community despite - "Nevermind." or "I'll tell you later." Grrr.

I did not forget on time when after I woke up from the nap, I was very excited to watch that show.

Deaf family in Super Nanny is quite interesting family but signing is really different than what i imagine of.

I watched the show. That's interesting. The kids were bad girls!

My husband is hearing. If our kids are hearing. He want the kids to use sign language and speak in house. I don't like hearing kids took advantage of deaf parents.

The show was interesting to watch....I have 2 year old hearing son and he doesn't really know ASL that much, he knows that mommy talks to her friends in ASL but that's all he knows. He only knows sign for more, eat, drink, mommy and Daddy. I haven't really been teaching him ASL because I use my voice instead and Preston is hearing so he uses his voice also. I've been thinking about using ASL more toward him but I can talk so therefore I'll talk to him through voice, why put him through all that if he doesn't understand a thing in ASL.

But the show was really interesting to watch and I'm glad everything worked all right at the end. I was shocked to see at the beginning that the girls would NOT listen to their parents...that's so disrespectful!

somewhat i am not impressed. ASL is one of most important communicate in our culture and they're not use that exposure to them and "lazy" communicate.

Wow! There was a lot of horrible behavior in the beginning but I am glad they are working as a family to fix it. Hopefully they will keep it up and they will grow closer as a family!!

I hope hearing people (the ones that are not educated about the Deaf) will not form stereotypes off the show.

Juana29 was nice enough to provide me with this link since I missed the original viewing.
So for all of you that missed it...
here is the link for the SUpernanny episode...
SuperNova Tube - fastpasstv.com - Supernanny.S05E02

Back