Stressed out!!! >.<

I prefer RIT/NTID over Gally. When one graduate from NTID, they get degree in name of "Rochester Institute of Technology" with small "NTID" in it and it is one of most recognized school as compare to Gally degrees which is generally unrecognized by most corporations.

Dont flare at me, it is fact that I am just stated.

The problem with that is that my parents want me to go to sinclair for 2 years so tuition would be cheaper. They said they don't want to be paying for gallaudet's tutition that would be like a car payment. Which is why we're getting BVR and SSI to help maybe do that. But then another problem my dad said to me this week (which actually pissed me off) that I wouldn't be able to pick up any of the signings at Gallaudet, because they think i haven't gotten in touch with my signings for a few years, and that people at gallaudet will sign at the speed of lightening and i wouldn't understand them.. BULLCRAP! my boyfriend, and my deaf friends, sign pretty darn fast and I can understand them very well. And then my parents said that I would be better understanding things in a hearing enviroment with an interpreter so I can hear the teacher and understand what the teacher is saying by the interpreter AND getting more practice by learning more signs by the interpreter. I can't believe my parents think that Gallaudet may not be the right school for me. They think that I would not like Gallaudet because of me not liking St.Rita's school for the deaf... Gallaudet and St.Ritas is completely different. St.rita's has more strict rules, and you have to wear uniforms all the time and st.ritas is an elementary/middle school/high school private school for deaf and HOH kids. Gallaudet is a college, and what i heard is pretty laid back, very friendly, and has so many opportunities to offer for students who are going there. I feel like I would love it at Gallaudet than what I didn't like at St.ritas. I wish my parents would stop comparing me on how I wouldn't like Gallaudet because of St.Ritas. It's so annoying, and It just makes me mad.
I totally understand where you are coming from.

I think you can do is to finish the two years of cheap tuitions at your current school. Keep visiting Gallaudet and RIT/NITD when you can, the two years will pass fast. I am sure that in two years you will build up your self confidence and figure out what to do with your life. so Right now focus on your school and follow what your parents wishes for you to pass all of these two years.

Try not to think about the future. Focus on now where you need to do well with your classes. Time will pass fast.

This year, ohio changed semesters. the quarters are usually about 16 weeks, and they thought it would be a lot easier if they shortened the quarters to 8 weeks so people would get their work done faster and get the hell out of there so they can start working on their major in the desired university that would be good for them. (excuse my language)

Here's a better explanation to it: Sinclair Community College: Semesters 2012
Ah, thanks for the explanation.

We also have the short terms that are called FastForward. That way, a student can do two semesters of work during one semester. It does mean working twice as fast though. For example, I can do FastForward I and FastForward II during the Spring and Fall semesters, plus Maymester and Summer, so I could do six semesters of work per year. But at our college, the FastForward system is optional, not required. Students can choose either way, depending on what courses are available.

I don't have student loans, and my parents does not want to do government loans as well.
Good. :)

My parents said i'm a full time student...
OK. What does your school say that you are?

... So i'll be going to the tutoring services that sinclair has to offer. Sinclair has FREE tutoring services as well. So we don't have to pay for that.
Great!

My parents actually applied to sinclair and made my schedule for me without letting me know. I was mad, because I wanted to do that but they kept saying that I was lazy and i was procrastinating about it.

They even applied to BVR and SSI for me... Like seriously?? i'm 19 years old, i'm going to be 20 next year, and I can't learn to be an adult if my parents keep doing everything for me. They keep feeling like if I try to do it, I might mess up and so they rather do it so I won't mess things up. UGH...
You might not like what I'm going to say.

If you don't want your parents to do this, this, and this for you, you need to beat them to it. If you want to take charge of your life, you need to do it. Your parents couldn't have registered for you if you had already registered. They couldn't have applied at BVR and for the SSI if you had already done it yourself.

If you take care of business yourself first, then you won't need to complain about your parents doing it for you.

It's a hassle, yeah, but it will be your hassle, and your accomplishment.

On the other hand, if you continue to let them take charge, then you can't really complain about it.

... But that is what it feels like all the time whenever i try to ask for their opinion on what I want to do in my life. Like maybe getting married to my boyfriend in 2 years and being engaged next year. My parents doesn't approve of me getting married while in school, because they think that I can't take care of myself. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. And they can't see that. And they're worried about me being able to financially support myself as well, Yeah I suck at math but I'll figure out a way to financially support myself.
Be honest. Did you really think that their opinion would be, "Great idea! Get married before you get an education or a job"? Really?

You say that you are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself. Actions are more powerful than words.

I love my parents, but, I wish they would let me do what I want to do for my life...
Well, you're over 18, so you can do what you want. I'm not saying it would be wise but you definitely are legally able to do whatever.

...My cousin just got married and she got married while in school. She graduated high school in 2009, and married to her husband on october 6th this year. Why can't I do the same thing??
Do you even have to ask? You are not your cousin. Her life is not your life. Comparing yourself to others is not wise. If you truly are mature, you would not ask such a question.

I wish my parents would just let me do what I want to do with my life. I may be stubborn and that I don't understand. but, I just know i want to be with him.
They can't stop you. Hopefully, your better judgment will.

I prefer RIT/NTID over Gally. When one graduate from NTID, they get degree in name of "Rochester Institute of Technology" with small "NTID" in it and it is one of most recognized school as compare to Gally degrees which is generally unrecognized by most corporations.

Dont flare at me, it is fact that I am just stated.

ha I am not worried what you stated. My hub, and i have BS degree from gallaudet. We have job that pays good. Needless to say that my hub pays way much better than i am. We both dont have MA or MS degrees yet. It depends on how much students like us are serious about the internship jobs. I did several the intership job and so was him. i know RIT/NTID do have internship jobs. so having internship job is really worth it.

Of course, I know many who went to Gally have good jobs. Just that there is more opportunities though NTID based on what I have seen.

ha I am not worried what you stated. My hub, and i have BS degree from gallaudet. We have job that pays good. Needless to say that my hub pays way much better than i am. We both dont have MA or MS degrees yet. It depends on how much students like us are serious about the internship jobs. I did several the intership job and so was him. i know RIT/NTID do have internship jobs. so having internship job is really worth it.

Of course, I know many who went to Gally have good jobs. Just that there is more opportunities though NTID based on what I have seen.

Not to my knowledges. Thats cool. Here in my hometown, several of friends left ntid/rit without completing degrees. They went to local college to get degrees here.

There is always good jobs you can get in Washington D.C while studying at Gally. Am I right? :lol:

There is always good jobs you can get in Washington D.C while studying at Gally. Am I right? :lol:

ahahah yep!!! I was planning on doing that if i ever move down to DC for school, but then, I probably can't get a job because of SSI... :/

ahahah yep!!! I was planning on doing that if i ever move down to DC for school, but then, I probably can't get a job because of SSI... :/

Why go to college if you ultimately don't want to get a job because you may not get SSI? That is counter-intuitive.

Why go to college if you ultimately don't want to get a job because you may not get SSI? That is counter-intuitive.

that's not what she said. she wants to get a job when moving to DC to study at Gally but she won't be able to if she's on SSI.

SSA doesn't care about CI and having a CI will not make you as no longer to be disabled.

If you are profoundly deaf, even you use CI or not, you will qualify for SSI.

Okay here's what happened today,

My mom seemed more calm and okay with what happened yesterday while we were at the wedding, My dad didn't know anything about it all day which is what my mom wanted. she wanted him to be happy and in a good mood.

Later today, my mom got me up around 11:30AM telling me that we need to tell my dad what happened. So I got extremely nervous about it. So I kind of panicked and both my mom and I went down to the family room and i told my dad i had bad news to tell him and my mom asked if i had the CI's on, i said no, told me to go get them on and i did, came back down and sat myself down. I started telling my dad in a fearful, trembling voice that I had to withdraw the class and my mom does better at explaining the story than I am when I become nervous like this. So my dad said he wasn't mad, he was disappointed, which I was surprised that he didn't have the green monster come out, but when he said he was disappointed, I felt disappointed in myself too. SO then my mom told my dad that I had a plan and how i went down to sinclair to talk to my disability counselor and register to retake the math class again, etc and my dad was suprised I did that because he said I was becoming an adult. But saying that on mondays, wednesdays and fridays I should take my homework and go down to sinclair and go to the tutoring services there so they can help me out and see what I'm doing right, and what i'm doing wrong so I can stay on the right track. Monday sinclair is closed tomorrow due to Columbus day.

My parents are still going to let me go see my boyfriend this month on the 26th because they know I really need it. And they don't want to get in the way of how much i really love my boyfriend and how we want to spend time together, and espcially since they paid for my plane ticket, they werent going to let that go to waste as well.

And then my parents and I were talking about getting me into an activity that doesn't have to be involved with grades, so that way I can meet people and gain new friends. I'm interested in doing that, but it'll be hard for me to pick an activity that I might like. Because I loved doing band and since I graduated high school, I can't do band anymore. Which is a bummer, beacuse my parents know that i'm used to being busy and if i'm not busy, then i'll go crazy.
you can go to your high school and have a talk with your band director or music department director (whoever is responsible) about being a tutor/volunteer/mentor for these young pupils. that's what my friend did. after a couple years, she eventually became the music department director.... I think.... or something.

Right now, i'm only afraid of taking the class again with the fear of failing that class AGAIN. And i hope to god I don't, i'm going to put in much more effort to pass that class. And my dad asked me if i was more motivated to do this again, and i replied yes. My dad said that I may be a pain in his butt, but he loves me. My parents said that this year is a test for me, If i cant succeed in sinclair, then I might have to go to trade school, which is NOT what I want to do. God help me. I have to prove to them that I can be college material. ugh. I'm going to need all the help I'm going to get at sinclair.
oh wow. I'm very pleased to hear that the talk actually went well. I'd like you to try to have some confidence in yourself and to confront an uncomfortable situation with confidence.

I also hope that sooner or later, you'll realize that you do not have to prove yourself to anybody except yourself.

This year, ohio changed semesters. the quarters are usually about 16 weeks, and they thought it would be a lot easier if they shortened the quarters to 8 weeks so people would get their work done faster and get the hell out of there so they can start working on their major in the desired university that would be good for them. (excuse my language)

Here's a better explanation to it: Sinclair Community College: Semesters 2012

I don't have student loans, and my parents does not want to do government loans as well. They don't want to be in debt, and have be be in debt whenever I stop being under their insurance. My parents insurance said i can be under their insurance until i turn 26 years old.

My parents said i'm a full time student, they wanted me to have days where i can have more time to study and do well in school. And I'm trying to take advantage of that, But i know i need to put more effort into that. So i'll be going to the tutoring services that sinclair has to offer. Sinclair has FREE tutoring services as well. So we don't have to pay for that.

My parents actually applied to sinclair and made my schedule for me without letting me know. I was mad, because I wanted to do that but they kept saying that I was lazy and i was procrastinating about it.

They even applied to BVR and SSI for me... Like seriously?? i'm 19 years old, i'm going to be 20 next year, and I can't learn to be an adult if my parents keep doing everything for me. They keep feeling like if I try to do it, I might mess up and so they rather do it so I won't mess things up. UGH... Plus, they treat me like a 10 year old sometimes repeating things that I already know and they said they repeat things so it would be embbeded into my head so I wouldn't forget. Trust me, I won't forget it. But, Yeah my friends think i should stand up to myself against my parents and let me do what I want to do for my future. But I'm scared of doing that, because they're the higher power and I feel like if I try to stand up to them, I wouldn't have their support and I would feel like I'm being disowned in my family. I want to make them proud, not disappointed. But that is what it feels like all the time whenever i try to ask for their opinion on what I want to do in my life. Like maybe getting married to my boyfriend in 2 years and being engaged next year. My parents doesn't approve of me getting married while in school, because they think that I can't take care of myself. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. And they can't see that. And they're worried about me being able to financially support myself as well, Yeah I suck at math but I'll figure out a way to financially support myself.

I love my parents, but, I wish they would let me do what I want to do for my life, even if it means going to gallaudet or getting married to my boyfriend while in school. My boyfriend and I discussed that we would balance things out by focusing on school first and getting things done for school, then focusing on us. We both agreed school is important, and that we want to get diplomas and have kids wayyy wayyy later. We already know that we want to get married because we knew each other for 12 years, and the both of us could see each other as a married couple. And so, My cousin just got married and she got married while in school. She graduated high school in 2009, and married to her husband on october 6th this year. Why can't I do the same thing?? I wish my parents would just let me do what I want to do with my life. I may be stubborn and that I don't understand. but, I just know i want to be with him.

typical parents of deaf children. they always have hard time letting it go and letting them handle it themselves because they have spent nearly 20 years of their lives helping you and taking care of it for you. it's like their second nature.

I do suggest you to be very proactive in your college life and start making decisions for yourself. mistakes will be made along the way but that's how you learn from it. don't bother telling your parents about it. less talk, more action. your parents will quickly accept it once they see it, not hear it. your dad is already starting to accept it when you took action by yourself to take care of your math problem. so do stay proactive and always keep on top of everything.

another thing - your parents shouldn't be registering your courses and advising you what courses to take. this should be your responsibility 100% and college has nearly every resource to help you whatever you need.

if you got an academic-related question/problem, you take it up to your academic advisor/student affair.
if you need an accommodation or have a complaint about your accommodation, you take it up to disability office director.
if you need an extra help in math, you talk to your professor or go to tutoring center.
if you need more information or have a question about scholarships, financial aids or related, you go to financial department.

et cetera. et cetera.

I do have a note taker in all of my classes. and my parents are in the process of getting me BVR and SSI. I'm a fulltime student and i'm probably taking 10-13 credit hours, at least that's what my mom is telling me. I have school only twice a week. But i go to school all day long. My first class is from 8-9:15 AM which is my reading class, then my math class is from 10-11:50AM , I have a 2 hour break which is being used to study and do homework. then at 2-4:40PM is my writing class. After that I don't get home due to traffic, and i won't be home until close to 5:30PM.

Not that I wanna burst your bubble or anything. But that is not full time student status. "all day" would be til like 9 not 5:30 and 3 classes is not considered full time either usually 5-6 classes a semester or more is full time. What program are you taking? I feel like you are taking "courses" not an actual program that goes towards a degree or diploma?

Not that I wanna burst your bubble or anything. But that is not full time student status. "all day" would be til like 9 not 5:30 and 3 classes is not considered full time either usually 5-6 classes a semester or more is full time. What program are you taking? I feel like you are taking "courses" not an actual program that goes towards a degree or diploma?

full-time status is based on # of credits, not # of classes.

Student Services
What are the Student Classifications?
A full-time student is one who registers for and completes 12 or more credit hours per quarter. A part-time student is one who registers for and completes 11 or fewer credit hours per quarter. Credit hours indicate the approximate number of hours a student will be in class per week. For example, English 111, a three credit hour course, requires three hours of class attendance weekly. Lab hours usually require additional class attendance time. A first-year student is one who is registered in a specific program and has earned fewer than 46 quarter credit hours of credit, including transfer credit. A second-year student is one who is registered in a specific program and has earned at least 46 quarter credit hours, including transfer credit, but not a degree.

Yup, it is full time, if your 3 classes have 12 credits like, 1st - 4 credits, 2nd - 6 credits and 3rd - 2 credits = 12 credits.

Jiro is correct about based on credit. :)

Yup, it is full time, if your 3 classes have 12 credits like, 1st - 4 credits, 2nd - 6 credits and 3rd - 2 credits = 12 credits.

Jiro is correct about based on credit. :)
Yes, but based on the types of classes that she's taking, and the short hours that she attends, it doesn't seem like they are full time.

Usually the developmental classes are only three credit hours each. She was taking three of them, so that would be 3x3=9. That would be nine credit hours, which is not full time. Also, if she was attending only three hours per week for each class (1.5 hrs. x 2 days), then that's not full time.

For a four-hour class, that's usually a class that includes a lab, such as sciences, medical, culinary, or languages.

Back