Stressed out!!! >.<

I was involved with music for maybe 10 years. I took piano lessons for a few years, then started doing band for 7 years as a percussionist. I did okay with math in music, But i wasn't good at it. I was only good at playing music than doing math in music.

I know the feeling. I just pretended that I knew what the teacher was talking about. Fortunately, we had to play a piece for the class, which was graded, and I just practiced the Hell out of it. The entire piece was memorized - no way I was reading following the notes....besides, my hands shook terribly playing in front of an audience. My sister and brother were relieved when the course was over so they wouldn't hear me at the piano all through the night. A guitar, you can take outside....:D

Laura

I really should get to bed, I have to get up at 6:30 to be in a 2 hour drive to my cousin's wedding. I hope the day will turn out okay with no drama. I highly doubt it. Ugh. I'll check back on here later when I can. Wish me luck, I'll try and give updates! :dizzy::run::ugh::cry:

I really should get to bed, I have to get up at 6:30 to be in a 2 hour drive to my cousin's wedding. I hope the day will turn out okay with no drama. I highly doubt it. Ugh. I'll check back on here later when I can. Wish me luck, I'll try and give updates! :dizzy::run::ugh::cry:

You can do it....just be strong and keep thinking positive.

Laura

It's possible that your parents are considering which courses are most transferable to a 4-year college. They may be putting you on a general AS or AA track rather than a major focus for your first two years.

My grandson is facing a similar situation. He wants to get a 4-year degree in pharmacy. The 2-year tech college offers a pharmacy degree but most of the major courses won't transfer to the 4-year college. However, he can get all his general "core" courses done at the 2-year college if he goes for the general associate of science degree. Then, when he transfers to the 4-year college, he will only have to take the courses in his pharmacy major.
pharmacy? it's a 6-years program. I don't think any 2-years college has a pharmacy degree program. sounds like it's a pharmacy technician certification program, not pharmacy program.

Any university with a pharmacy degree program is very very strict and anal about credit transfer. It's preferable and highly recommended that you transfer out after 1 year (or 2 semesters). Anything beyond first year.... expect that majority of credits are not eligible for transfer. That's just a suggestion.

When you transfer to a 4-years program with interest in pharmacy major, you'll be placed in "pre-pharmacy" program and then upon graduation, the pharmacy school will decide to accept you or not and if you do get in, it's another 2 years.

To know which courses you should be taking now, if you are planning to transfer later, you should be comparing the degree requirements of the 4-year college with the courses that are available at your 2-year college. Then, confirm that they will transfer for credit.

There's usually not a 100% match between schools. That is, you might have a few courses extra that you take that won't be transferable but that you need for the associate degree. That's normal.
now - you can easily check for "course equivalencies". many colleges do have "course equivalencies" website where you can check if your credits will transfer or not.

if you have a very specific college you're interested in transferring to, then check its course equivalencies website or contact its admission counselor to make a plan and prepare for it even though you may or may not get in.

oh boy..

I'm just mentally exhausted, because I put so much energy in trying to be motivated and positive for school. and If my dad does find out about this, he would be FUSING. like ENRAGED. And that is what i'm absolutely scared about. Because I hate to be around him when he's enraged.
There's no reason for him to be enraged. If he is, then he has a problem with anger management (as others have also said).

Like I'm taking this seriously about me failing my math class and having to drop out to avoid getting an F and retaking the class next term because my parents have to get more money out of their pocket to pay for this class again, but i wish they don't have to overreact about it.
First of all, you didn't drop out of math class. You did an academic withdrawal. That's different. It's a procedure that college's have established in order for students to not fail as many classes. It's a second chance.

I've worked in the college environment for many years. Taking withdrawals from classes, and then taking them over is common. It is.

Are you getting any financial help for school from VR? If so, you have to be careful not to withdraw to early or too late each semester. It can effect your financial aid. If you withdraw during the window of opportunity, you won't have to pay back the assistance.

If you aren't getting financial assistance for school, then you should try to get it. That would take off some of the financial pressure on your parents, which in turn reduce some of their pressure on you.

I am completely stressed out right now.

I just started my first semester at college, the first quarter is almost done and I just found out I'm failing my math class, so i had to drop out of that class in order to avoid getting an F in that class. So Now, I'm retaking the class again for the next term. Here's how this situation happened:

I was at the mall, shopping with my mom for my homecoming dress and shoes, makeup because I'm going to gallaudet to visit my boyfriend for the weekend. And I'm pretty excited about it. I was having a good time, and I felt good because I thought i was passing all of my classes. So, around 2:15ish I get home and I decided to check my student's email account. I get an email from my math teacher saying I should drop his class in order to avoid getting an F. I got sick to my stomach and I felt like I was going to pass out. And I had to break the news to my mom before It got worse.

So As I told my mom about what had happened, my mom became furious with me. I felt disappointed in myself. I thought I was doing so good in math this year, I thought I was improving myself to get better. I studied late hours to be able to understand the material, apparently, I didn't. So I went on my computer again, dropping my class and then trying to find the same class again for the next term so i can retake the class. I couldn't find anything and the site was very confusing to how to add a class online. So I decided to go to my school and fix that. Then I went to my disability office to talk to my counsler about How i needed to drop the class and I'm retaking the class again for the next term. As I'm talking to her, I broke down in front of her being upset because I really didn't want to disappoint my mom, or my dad for that matter. And I was afraid to go home to face my parents because I hated disappointing them. But it's also a good thing that I'm passing my other classes. So then, My disability counselor and I made a plan for the next term, I would go to class, and then after that I would get tutoring services to help me understand the material, then get a study buddy to help me. And then If i didn't understand what I'm suppose to be doing, i would stay after class and get clarification from my instructor.

By the time I got home I told my mom what I did and what my plan was for the next term. She said that She put in a lot of time from work to help me get the opportunities to get me help and she was disappointed in me. And I felt really bad and I felt like I wanted to pass out. Then my mom told me she wasn't going to tell my dad, because Tomorrow i'm going to a wedding for my cousin. And she wasn't going to be in the car with my dad absolutely furious for 2 hours. So It was up to me. and I'm afraid of telling him. I really wanted to do good this year in college, especially since i'm new in college. I have a lot of motivation to do well in school and ending my first term like this, makes me sick to my stomach. My mom and I are okay, but my mom is still mad. I told my boyfriend what had happened, and he said he would help me with any math problem that I do not understand, Especially since he's a math major too.

I still feel upset and sick to my stomach about this. I really wanted to do good. I just can't believe I ended it like this. The term ends on october 17th and the next term begins on October 18th. I'm suppose to be going to see my boyfriend on the 26th and won't be coming back home until the 29th. But for the next term, I'm taking no chances. I'm getting help. I learned it the hard way. I refuse to disappoint my parents. When I was driving to my school to get my class rescheduled for the next term, I was shaking and I was scared to death about everything that had happened. I just wish I was really good at math since I was born. But, obviously I'm not. Why can't I be smart and be good at math? UGH. I don't have a lot of confidence in myself about math. I try to be. But, it doesn't work out for me sometimes.

You are not alone about failing course.

I'm failing the psychology course because unable to understand the materials and the professor talks about stories all time, usually not related to psychology. I studied in all assigned materials but did not well on exam due to all applied knowledge. There are 300+ students got F on exam, out of 600 students. The psychology isn't related to my major but UAB required me to take and they paid for my course. The green dragon, the UAB mascot goes burn my head with fire. :aw:

If you have other courses so you need focus on courses that possibly to pass.

Trust me, you will share same frustration if you are Gally student and the GSR courses are not funny at all.

pharmacy? it's a 6-years program. I don't think any 2-years college has a pharmacy degree program. sounds like it's a pharmacy technician certification program, not pharmacy program.
That's what I meant. The courses within the major are "pharmacy" subjects but they aren't transferable to the upper level schools.

Any university with a pharmacy degree program is very very strict and anal about credit transfer. It's preferable and highly recommended that you transfer out after 1 year (or 2 semesters). Anything beyond first year.... expect that majority of credits are not eligible for transfer. That's just a suggestion.
I've checked the requirements and transferable list at the university for pharmacy majors, and most of the ones he'll take here will fit. When transferring within the state, from one state college to another state university, it's more likely to get a match. The major he's interested lists very specifically which courses are excepted, and from which schools. They make it as convenient as possible. I've noticed over the years that there is getting to be more "networking" amongst the state schools to make transitions between them easier.

now - you can easily check for "course equivalencies". many colleges do have "course equivalencies" website where you can check if your credits will transfer or not.
Yep. I've done that.

Well here's the thing, I've been checking my grades a lot online on my school's "student portal" on their website and it said i was passing all of my classes up until my math teacher emailed me saying that I had an F in that class and i should consider dropping out, which I did. And I honestly thought I was passing my math class. My two classes, Reading and Writing, i'm passing.

In high school I did take a placement test for sinclair community college before i started college since my parents (yes, my parents) enrolled me into sinclair and they recomennded me to take DEV classes (developmental eduactional vocational) and with all this drama today, its making my mind mentally exhausted. and I wish i can turn off reality for a few minutes so i can take a breather.
hmmm interesting.

well I'm sorry you've had a rough start in your first semester but you're just like everybody else. so did I. it's normal. it's a huge adjustment from high school and most students start to adjust after 1st or 2nd semester.

they're realizing that college is not like high school where you can get by everything half-ass and pass (meaning - studying just couple days before exam or doing everything at last minutes). college is where you're actually paying professors to teach you something you need to learn for your major.

college is 100% optional. you are free to decide whether or not to go to college and you are free to decide whether or not to take a course (but you'll have to complete that course if it's required for your major).

your parents should be more forgiving to you. I really dislike the fact that you are living under fear. that is not healthy and productive for you. right now - college is your responsibility, not your parents. you need to keep up with everything by yourself and you'll have to make sure of everything by yourself. keep track of everything. always ask for help if you're struggling or have any question - your professor or tutoring center. go see your professor during his office hour as listed in your syllabus. do not worry about asking a lot of questions or taking up his time. you are paying them thousands of dollars to teach you so you get to ask all you want. there's no such thing as "too many questions". if your professor has a problem with that, then you can take it up to your academic dean and he will take care of it and put that professor in his place :) Many professors are always fearful of deans :lol: because deans keep track of everything such as pass/fail statistic.

if you have any personal issue and you need someone to talk to, you can either contact your academic counselor or student counseling center (or typically called as Student Affairs).

colleges are required to abide by federal law called FERPA... meaning everything about you is strictly confidential. So that means your college will not disclose your information if your parents request for it such as your grades.

and lastly.... remember - your college handbook is your "bible". it lists EVERY information and procedures for you to know how to deal with most situations. please do take a long moment and read it - from cover to cover. it will tell you everything you need to know. if you know your college (professor/faculty member/etc) is wrong, all you have to do is point it out in your handbook and they will immediately amend their mistake.

You are not alone about failing course.

I'm failing the psychology course because unable to understand the materials and the professor talks about stories all time, usually not related to psychology. I studied in all assigned materials but did not well on exam due to all applied knowledge. There are 300+ students got F on exam, out of 600 students. The psychology isn't related to my major but UAB required me to take and they paid for my course. The green dragon, the UAB mascot goes burn my head with fire
Just about every college, every major, seems to require at least one basic psychology course. There's no escaping it. However, if I were you, I'd seriously look into taking that course online. Even if some "stories" are included you can re-read them at your own pace. Online might be more boring but it also might be less stressful for you.

Just about every college, every major, seems to require at least one basic psychology course. There's no escaping it. However, if I were you, I'd seriously look into taking that course online. Even if some "stories" are included you can re-read them at your own pace. Online might be more boring but it also might be less stressful for you.

Gallaudet University doesn't require psychology as general education, but required for major in psychology.

UAB has 2 alternatives to psychology course - Sociology or Anthropology.

Oh yup, I wish that I take online too.

That's what I meant. The courses within the major are "pharmacy" subjects but they aren't transferable to the upper level schools.
oh ok - yes it's the pre-pharmacy courses. pharmacy subjects are only when you're in pharmacy program. very brutal 2 years.

I've checked the requirements and transferable list at the university for pharmacy majors, and most of the ones he'll take here will fit. When transferring within the state, from one state college to another state university, it's more likely to get a match. The major he's interested lists very specifically which courses are excepted, and from which schools. They make it as convenient as possible. I've noticed over the years that there is getting to be more "networking" amongst the state schools to make transitions between them easier.

Yep. I've done that.
yep - same here. more and more colleges are networking with each other and making agreements. for example - the college I work for... our business department (MBA program) just recently signed an agreement with other college that would ensure a "headache-free" transition for their students as long as they meet certain criteria as agreed between them which is slightly different from normal criteria that other students from different schools have to meet.

but when it comes to pharmacy program, that's a whole another story. most colleges with pharmacy programs do not really have any shortcut or any "networking deal" because they have to uphold their highest academic standard... which is understandable. most schools with pharmacy programs are in top-whatever list so that's why I suggest transferring out after 1st year. just lesser headache this way. and also just a suggestion :)

Gallaudet University doesn't require psychology as general education, but required for major in psychology.

UAB has 2 alternatives to psychology course - Sociology or Anthropology.

Oh yup, I wish that I take online too.
If it's not required, then why are you taking it?

If it's not required, then why are you taking it?

because it has best time for me since other two alternatives are inconvenience and conflict with my schedule.

oh ok - yes it's the pre-pharmacy courses. pharmacy subjects are only when you're in pharmacy program. very brutal 2 years.
The pharmacy tech courses are pharmacy courses but not transferable to the pharmacy major at the university. The science courses (biology and chemistry lab courses, for example) are required and interchangeable for both programs. Obviously, the tech college provides only the lower level versions of them.

yep - same here. more and more colleges are networking with each other and making agreements. for example - the college I work for... our business department (MBA program) just recently signed an agreement with other college that would ensure a "headache-free" transition for their students as long as they meet certain criteria as agreed between them which is slightly different from normal criteria that other students from different schools have to meet.
Good.

but when it comes to pharmacy program, that's a whole another story. most colleges with pharmacy programs do not really have any shortcut or any "networking deal" because they have to uphold their highest academic standard... which is understandable. most schools with pharmacy programs are in top-whatever list so that's why I suggest transferring out after 1st year. just lesser headache this way. and also just a suggestion :)
That's why he's not taking the pharmacy tech major at the 2-year college. He's taking the science degree. I checked the list of courses at the university (yes, I get out my color-coded markers and match them up, course by course, list by list. :lol: ).

The pharmacy tech courses are pharmacy courses but not transferable to the pharmacy major at the university. The science courses (biology and chemistry lab courses, for example) are required and interchangeable for both programs. Obviously, the tech college provides only the lower level versions of them.

Good.

That's why he's not taking the pharmacy tech major at the 2-year college. He's taking the science degree. I checked the list of courses at the university (yes, I get out my color-coded markers and match them up, course by course, list by list. :lol: ).
:dizzy:

I have a problem with the term "pharmacy courses" because to me - it's not the same as pharmacy tech courses. I guess we can just agree to disagree :giggle:

:dizzy:

I have a problem with the term "pharmacy courses" because to me - it's not the same as pharmacy tech courses. I guess we can just agree to disagree :giggle:
That's what I'm saying. The pharmacy tech and pharmacy courses are not the same; they are not transferable. That's why he's not taking them.

I'm not sure what it is you don't agree with? I thought I was saying the same thing. :confused:

The pharmacy tech major is 42 hours; the associate of science (transferable) is 60 hours.

That's what I'm saying. The pharmacy tech and pharmacy courses are not the same; they are not transferable. That's why he's not taking them.

I'm not sure what it is you don't agree with? I thought I was saying the same thing. :confused:

The pharmacy tech major is 42 hours; the associate of science (transferable) is 60 hours.

I was referring to this part -
The pharmacy tech courses are pharmacy courses but not transferable to the pharmacy major at the university.

pharmacy courses means courses in pharmacy school.
pre-pharmacy courses means undergrad courses in preparation for pharmacy school.

I don't think pharmacy tech courses can be called as pharmacy courses. it's a very specific distinction.

hmmm interesting.

well I'm sorry you've had a rough start in your first semester but you're just like everybody else. so did I. it's normal. it's a huge adjustment from high school and most students start to adjust after 1st or 2nd semester.

they're realizing that college is not like high school where you can get by everything half-ass and pass (meaning - studying just couple days before exam or doing everything at last minutes). college is where you're actually paying professors to teach you something you need to learn for your major.

college is 100% optional. you are free to decide whether or not to go to college and you are free to decide whether or not to take a course (but you'll have to complete that course if it's required for your major).

your parents should be more forgiving to you. I really dislike the fact that you are living under fear. that is not healthy and productive for you. right now - college is your responsibility, not your parents. you need to keep up with everything by yourself and you'll have to make sure of everything by yourself. keep track of everything. always ask for help if you're struggling or have any question - your professor or tutoring center. go see your professor during his office hour as listed in your syllabus. do not worry about asking a lot of questions or taking up his time. you are paying them thousands of dollars to teach you so you get to ask all you want. there's no such thing as "too many questions". if your professor has a problem with that, then you can take it up to your academic dean and he will take care of it and put that professor in his place :) Many professors are always fearful of deans :lol: because deans keep track of everything such as pass/fail statistic.

if you have any personal issue and you need someone to talk to, you can either contact your academic counselor or student counseling center (or typically called as Student Affairs).

colleges are required to abide by federal law called FERPA... meaning everything about you is strictly confidential. So that means your college will not disclose your information if your parents request for it such as your grades.

and lastly.... remember - your college handbook is your "bible". it lists EVERY information and procedures for you to know how to deal with most situations. please do take a long moment and read it - from cover to cover. it will tell you everything you need to know. if you know your college (professor/faculty member/etc) is wrong, all you have to do is point it out in your handbook and they will immediately amend their mistake.

Thanks, Right now my mom is still mad at me and she dosen't want to be around me, she says i'm still on her bad list. My dad is home but he doesn't know about my class drop out so far. So, i'm hoping things would be okay later. wish me luck, i'm heading on to a 2 hour drive to my cousin's wedding.

Sorry hear about it, your parent's not doing their job as they supposed to. I am parent to two beautiful boys, and I tell them that it is up to them and if they fail and refused to get up and move on there won't be success and live on street. It is their choice not mine.

I would suggest you speak up to your parents by telling them chill out, getting mad is not going to help. If they are not willing to help you then the best thing you could do is pack up and move out of the nest and prove them that they are wrong on getting mad at you.

Read my signature below. Failure is part of growth and if one does not accept failures, two things happens and that would be not able to learn from it and grow from it. Success always begins with failures.

Sorry hear about it, your parent's not doing their job as they supposed to.

Agreed, from my standpoint it's like blaming a child for failing French and not taking into consideration their hearing loss and how it impacts everything.

Laura

Back