State of the Union

Steinhauer

Reaction score
What are your thoughts?

Obama plans to cut federal spending, reduce the deficit and change his own healthcare reform law.

Isn't this what the GOP has been pushing for all along?

I agreed with Obama that we need to focus on education and that we are seriously lagging in technology and innovation. I liked parts of his speech and disliked other portions.

He said it best when he described Americans as being the most innovative Nation in the world and that we have invented ourselves.

We heard the reducing gov. spending part already. So I don't believe that part. I did like the Education part were he wants to get rid of NCLB and focus on the quality of schools. It also looks like immigration reform is going to be the next big DC fight. As for the infrastructure changes I am stuck in the middle. We have no way to pay for it but we would benefit a lot as a country if we had the changes he talked about.

We heard the reducing gov. spending part already. So I don't believe that part. I did like the Education part were he wants to get rid of NCLB and focus on the quality of schools. It also looks like immigration reform is going to be the next big DC fight. As for the infrastructure changes I am stuck in the middle. We have no way to pay for it but we would benefit a lot as a country if we had the changes he talked about.

About immigration policy, I have to agree with something Obama said wholeheartedly (and I am no Obama supporter) - he mentioned something about how we educate foreigners with VISA's and when they leave to go home when they graduate, they compete against our economy

I agree this is wasteful, we educate our competitors. It doesn't make sense that we do that.

I'm surprised you watched it and were impressed (to a degree) with Obama, Steinhauer. I've kinda given up on him at this point... hmm, maybe I should start paying attention more.

About immigration policy, I have to agree with something Obama said wholeheartedly (and I am no Obama supporter) - he mentioned something about how we educate foreigners with VISA's and when they leave to go home when they graduate, they compete against our economy

I agree this is wasteful, we educate our competitors. It doesn't make sense that we do that.

Word. I attend the university with the SECOND highest international student population among all public schools in the United States. I believe that our academic research institutions are our nation's greatest resource at this point. We need to start making foreigners pay more for their education. We need to tax foreign students on their education, just as if it were a product that they are purchasing, and we should not be offering them scholarships or fellowships. Our public universities are for American citizens first and foremost. In a time of financial problems like this, all opportunities should be given to our citizen students first.

The thing I am curious about is the DADT thing: What are the service chaplains going to do now?

The thing I am curious about is the DADT thing: What are the service chaplains going to do now?

Keep providing spiritual counsel to servicemen/women regardless of their sexual orientation? :dunno:

They'll probably be told to zip their lips or get out. That will leave just the liberal "feel good" chaplains in service.

They'll probably be told to zip their lips or get out. That will leave just the liberal "feel good" chaplains in service.

That's what I was afraid of, Reba......

Does this mean the more fundamental chaplains will need to seek the counsel of their liberal counterparts or will it just be easier to be neutral without scuttling the belief? I suppose, thrown into the mix and to further test one's convictions would be, for example, a chaplain having put in 18 years of this work and looking forward to getting to 20 yrs....could they ask for another assignment for the remainder of that time?

Exactly. America would be really stupid if this continues to happen. It's like we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

I know this will be an extremely controversial subject, so I will try and use some tact. The DADT policy in regards to chaplains serving in the military is opening a can of worms such as I have never seen before in my life.

I have NEVER, and I mean ever ever ever seen so much animosity towards people of religion than I have ever seen before in my life than I have over the last few years. The Church has been attacked vehemently in Science classrooms, as well as in the Military. Christianity, in particular, is being painted as a racist, bigoted backwards antiquated neanderthal religion for the uneducated masses.

Science, it seems, is being used as a tool to remove religion, rather than a tool to understand how nature works. Sir Isaac Newton mixed theology and science for his theories. He molded his theories on the premise of what is now called Intelligent Design. It wasn't until Charles Darwin's theory gained momentum that science began removing theology from the curriculum. In 1998, Many of Darwin's theories were proven incorrect. Darwin had no knowledge of molecular biology when he formulated his theories. This is not taught in mainstream academic courses covering paleontology.

It is indoctrination at its finest.

Anyways, as far as someone's sexual orientation is concerned, they don't get to choose it. Just like I didn't get a choice to be hearing or not.

Does this mean the more fundamental chaplains will need to seek the counsel of their liberal counterparts or will it just be easier to be neutral without scuttling the belief?n I suppose, thrown into the mix and to further test one's convictions would be, for example, a chaplain having put in 18 years of this work and looking forward to getting to 20 yrs....could they ask for another assignment for the remainder of that time?

Just curious, but do they have chaplains for soldiers of the Muslim faith? Jewish?

If so, then I don't really see a problem with having chaplains that accept homosexuals, just as there are many Christian churches that accept homosexuality as well.

Just curious, but do they have chaplains for soldiers of the Muslim faith? Jewish?

If so, then I don't really see a problem with having chaplains that accept homosexuals, just as there are many Christian churches that accept homosexuality as well.

That is correct, they are called "accepting" Churches. Accepting Churches

Yes they have chaplains for all faiths. They have Rabbis and Sheiks although they are not as common as Christian chaplains. I do believe as far as Christian chaplains go they are 'non-denominational'. I could be wrong though. They would all have to accept ones orientation just as the officers and soldiers would also have to accept the the orientation and not focus on it but rather the performance of the soldier.

Yes, they do. They also have Buddhist and Wicca chaplains, among others.

Chaplain : Chaplain & Support : Careers & Jobs : Navy.com

The question is, what about the chaplains who represent religions that view homosexuality as a sin? Will they be allowed to preach, teach, and counsel that view?

Yes they have chaplains for all faiths. They have Rabbis and Sheiks although they are not as common as Christian chaplains. I do believe as far as Christian chaplains go they are 'non-denominational'. I could be wrong though. They would all have to accept ones orientation just as the officers and soldiers would also have to accept the the orientation and not focus on it but rather the performance of the soldier.
There's no such thing as a generic Christian chaplain. A chaplain must:

"Hold an ecclesiastical endorsement from a religious faith organization registered with the Department of Defense (DOD)."

That means, Christian chaplains must belong to specific religions, such as Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, Congregationalist, etc.

Back