State of the Union

That makes me wince. JFK said it better when he said "I do not believe any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation." People change places with people, not nations.

Yeah. That's exactly what the author of the article said (you just plagiarized! I'm telling!!!! :lol:).

That makes me wince. JFK said it better when he said "I do not believe any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation." People change places with people, not nations.

It was almost as good as JFK's announcement that he was a donut :lol:

Yeah. That's exactly what the author of the article said (you just plagiarized! I'm telling!!!! :lol:).

Which part? :lol:
Yeah, the last sentence, but there are only so many ways to say it, eh? Interesting, when you use a part of a site it is plagiarism, but from many it is research. :hmm:

I'm surprised you watched it and were impressed (to a degree) with Obama, Steinhauer. I've kinda given up on him at this point... hmm, maybe I should start paying attention more.

No, I understand what you mean. It is hard to keep interest with all the mudslinging going on between both parties.

The thing I am curious about is the DADT thing: What are the service chaplains going to do now?

They might need to go overseas where the combat soldiers are. It would certainly be a better use of their time.

But I liked the way Obama phrased it. "Never again will a citizen of this country be prohibited from serving the country they love because of who they love." Pretty much puts it in a nutshell.

Reba, as a college composition instructor, I have to say this article is really reaching when it says O's speech was "tantamount to plagiarism." All of the so called plagiarized lines were fairly generic, and so much political buzzwords and catchphrases are just recycled from general political rhetoric besides. If this were my student, I might have made a note for him to make more of an effort to sound unique, but I would not have considered this plagiarism or "turned him into the dean." I can't imagine any of my colleagues would have as well. Taking single, generic lines out of context and then matching them up with other speeches using the power of Google (which is probably what the author did) is not how we identify plagiarism. The author is not giving enough credit to Obama's speech writers; we're talking about some of the most trained writers in the country here. They're not so stupid as to blatantly plagiarize ideas, and if they are... God help us all.

The thing that bothered me the most was Obama's faulty grammar in the "no person in this room would trade places with another nation" line. THAT is unforgivable. :giggle:

The author's bias and negative opinion of Obama really shows through in many instances, and I'm inclined to believe this fueled his accusation of plagiarism, rather than some noble dedication to truth and honesty.

Especially when JFK directly plagiarised with his "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." That was plagairised, word for word, from a treatise written by Kahil Gibran in 1922, and in reference to Lebanon.

They might need to go overseas where the combat soldiers are. It would certainly be a better use of their time.
Military chaplains have always served afloat and overseas, including combat areas. Relatively few of them serve stateside because service men and women have access to civilian religious services here.

But I liked the way Obama phrased it. "Never again will a citizen of this country be prohibited from serving the country they love because of who they love." Pretty much puts it in a nutshell.
Kind of a weird statement. What did the DADT have to do with love? I thought it was about sexual preference? Surely not each person's attraction for another person is about love. :lol:

Military chaplains have always served afloat and overseas, including combat areas. Relatively few of them serve stateside because service men and women have access to civilian religious services here.

Kind of a weird statement. What did the DADT have to do with love? I thought it was about sexual preference? Surely not each person's attraction for another person is about love. :lol:

I agree. That is a weird statement. It would almost appear (by Obama's statement) that those who would be having an affair would not be punished by Military Courts. Usually, the military takes those kinds of actions seriously as it shows a contradiction of loyalty.

What are your thoughts?

Obama plans to cut federal spending, reduce the deficit and change his own healthcare reform law.

Isn't this what the GOP has been pushing for all along?

I agreed with Obama that we need to focus on education and that we are seriously lagging in technology and innovation. I liked parts of his speech and disliked other portions.

He said it best when he described Americans as being the most innovative Nation in the world and that we have invented ourselves.

About immigration policy, I have to agree with something Obama said wholeheartedly (and I am no Obama supporter) - he mentioned something about how we educate foreigners with VISA's and when they leave to go home when they graduate, they compete against our economy

I agree this is wasteful, we educate our competitors. It doesn't make sense that we do that.

Yup, I agree with you on issues.

For Obama address in state of the union, his speech seems good and he seems change so much after midterm election in last Nov.

They'll probably be told to zip their lips or get out. That will leave just the liberal "feel good" chaplains in service.

Don't think so, they are free to practice that based on religion, long as it doesn't point at gay troops.

I know this will be an extremely controversial subject, so I will try and use some tact. The DADT policy in regards to chaplains serving in the military is opening a can of worms such as I have never seen before in my life.

I have NEVER, and I mean ever ever ever seen so much animosity towards people of religion than I have ever seen before in my life than I have over the last few years. The Church has been attacked vehemently in Science classrooms, as well as in the Military. Christianity, in particular, is being painted as a racist, bigoted backwards antiquated neanderthal religion for the uneducated masses.

Science, it seems, is being used as a tool to remove religion, rather than a tool to understand how nature works. Sir Isaac Newton mixed theology and science for his theories. He molded his theories on the premise of what is now called Intelligent Design. It wasn't until Charles Darwin's theory gained momentum that science began removing theology from the curriculum. In 1998, Many of Darwin's theories were proven incorrect. Darwin had no knowledge of molecular biology when he formulated his theories. This is not taught in mainstream academic courses covering paleontology.

It is indoctrination at its finest.

Anyways, as far as someone's sexual orientation is concerned, they don't get to choose it. Just like I didn't get a choice to be hearing or not.

Yup, that's true and I had trouble to accept my sex orientation. I prefer to be straight man but not work for sex orientation conversion so I accepted to be bisexual. At most case, I'm closeted man and doesn't want share with my sex orientation with anyone, except for this forum.

Don't think so, they are free to practice that based on religion, long as it doesn't point at gay troops.

Yup, that's true and I had trouble to accept my sex orientation. I prefer to be straight man but not work for sex orientation conversion so I accepted to be bisexual. At most case, I'm closeted man and doesn't want share with my sex orientation with anyone, except for this forum.

Wow! Foxrac, I didn't know. That was very brave. My sister is bisexual, yet she chose to live straight. She is married and has 3 kids with a fourth on the way.

She and I have so many different discussions on the subject, some are religious discussions, others are political, sometimes we agree, sometimes we do not. But we both love each other as all siblings should. After all, that was God's greatest commandment.

Wow! Foxrac, I didn't know. That was very brave. My sister is bisexual, yet she chose to live straight. She is married and has 3 kids with a fourth on the way.

She and I have so many different discussions on the subject, some are religious discussions, others are political, sometimes we agree, sometimes we do not. But we both love each other as all siblings should. After all, that was God's greatest commandment.

Yup, bisexual people could pick gender to love whatever they have comfort with someone. For me, I prefer woman but not know about my plan with family in future.

Of course, I'm brave, you know that I live in area that is one of most reddest ever, really heavily republicans and I do have deal with anti-gay rights in anywhere, however glad to see some republicans support gay rights. I'm not going move to somewhere to more gay-friendly city, except for DC because of Gallaudet Univ and southern state is still my lovely home.

Back