Speech changing

a bland

Reaction score
Hi I don't know if this is the right forum or not so I'm sorry if it isn't. I went deaf April of this year and my husband says my speech is starting to change. He said it sounds like my nose is stopped up when I talk. Is that normal? I mean I've been hearing for 23 years and I just didn't realize my speech would change so fast. Any feedback would be nice.

You're not hearing yourself enunciate and so your speech is becoming worse because you don't hear yourself make the sounds correctly. Maybe you're developing the "Deaf accent." Yes, the "Deaf Accent" is normal. It's natural, nothing to worry about unless you don't like it and want to change it.

Thanks. I haven't been around a lot of deaf people so I wasn't sure.

I had the same thing happen to me as well. Went from totally hearing, to totally deaf overnight. My voice has absolutely changed as well. I actually made the decision to basically go voice-off, and it's better for me. I hate not being able to hear what I am saying and what I sound like, so I simply don't use my voice anymore.

-Lauren

Hi I don't know if this is the right forum or not so I'm sorry if it isn't. I went deaf April of this year and my husband says my speech is starting to change. He said it sounds like my nose is stopped up when I talk. Is that normal? I mean I've been hearing for 23 years and I just didn't realize my speech would change so fast. Any feedback would be nice.

I had the same thing happen to me as well. Went from totally hearing, to totally deaf overnight. My voice has absolutely changed as well. I actually made the decision to basically go voice-off, and it's better for me. I hate not being able to hear what I am saying and what I sound like, so I simply don't use my voice anymore.

-Lauren

how is your life going after you had accident? hope all is ok for you.

You're not hearing yourself enunciate and so your speech is becoming worse because you don't hear yourself make the sounds correctly. Maybe you're developing the "Deaf accent." Yes, the "Deaf Accent" is normal. It's natural, nothing to worry about unless you don't like it and want to change it.

I was told deaf and hoh people use their noses to feel the sound and this made them sound nasally. .

Thanks! Life is going pretty well. It's hard to believe it's been two years, but I am still here to tell the tale. It's obviously an adjustment, and life is certainly different, but I've accepted that this is how I am and it's not going to change. School has definitely been harder (though the university has been amazing at making accommodations for me), and my grades have slipped a bit since going deaf, but I'm still doing well. Socially, I've found out who my true friends really are, and they've stuck by me and have been amazingly supportive, even in the smallest ways, like writing things down for me so that I can keep pace with what's going on when we're in group settings. I've basically gone voice off, so I really rely on writing things down/texting/etc to "speak", but I do think I am going to make the commitment to really learn ASL finally. 2 years in, I can't say that I prefer to be this way, but I've accepted it as my new reality. How are you doing?

how is your life going after you had accident? hope all is ok for you.

Yep!!! On the bright side, better to know what they are really like now then later. Plus, karma will get them. Life is long if you're lucky and their lives can change just like that too. Except they won't have a friend like you around when it happens.

I just focused on all the money I was going to save from not buying them Christmas presents.

Or even a boxed card. From last year.

The true friends get Hallmark bought at full price. Ooo

I was told deaf and hoh people use their noses to feel the sound and this made them sound nasally. .

Weird... I never heard that. I know I don't use my nose... But it is possible I guess. It makes sense now I think about it.

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh that someone else said "deaf accent" lol! People always looked at me weird when I said it, but now I know it's TRUE! >:D! That made my night... <3

As my hearing seems to decline, I feel like I'm an idiot when I speak, because I don't feel it's very clear when I do.

Despite having profound hearing loss for I can't remember how many years, my voice has been very very good. The average person doesn't pick up on the deaf accent. I've also been tested to lipread at an 88% proficiency rate, which is unheard of.

The only thing that has allowed my voice to be good is nearly 10 years of speech therapy. Every single time I speak, I"m also thinking of where my tongue is, my lip shape and how much air I'm putting out. The nasal thing happens because you kind of put your tongue up at the back of your soft palate, you don't push air out from your lungs into your mouth as you speak, or both. It takes a while to be able to think about that as fast as you are talking. If you really want to preserve your voice, get speech therapy.

I was this told by a speech therapist years ago , it could had been something people thought where true when I was younger. You need to remember I grew up in the 40's and 50's and a lot kids where thought to be
slow before people realize they deaf or hoh.

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh that someone else said "deaf accent" lol! People always looked at me weird when I said it, but now I know it's TRUE! >:D! That made my night... <3

I had people ask me if I had French or Spanish accent.

Back