Speech changing

People also ask me if I'm French, but more they ask me if I'm British or Irish. The reason for that is when I see a t in a word, I say it as a t, not the d sound that Americans often use. I also say my syllables shorter, and Americans tend to drag out the sounds more. This is all from speech therapy.

People also ask me if I'm French, but more they ask me if I'm British or Irish. The reason for that is when I see a t in a word, I say it as a t, not the d sound that Americans often use. I also say my syllables shorter, and Americans tend to drag out the sounds more. This is all from speech therapy.

My dad was born in Russia and they have no 'th' sound in their alphabet.
Dad would give me speech lesson and have me count to 3 , one two , tree!
I still have a hard time with 'TH" now.

My dad was born in Russia and they have no 'th' sound in their alphabet.
Dad would give me speech lesson and have me count to 3 , one two , tree!
I still have a hard time with 'TH" now.

I had to learn to stop rolling my Rs, because that's how it's done in Lithuanian. I learned it before I learned English.

Hi I don't know if this is the right forum or not so I'm sorry if it isn't. I went deaf April of this year and my husband says my speech is starting to change. He said it sounds like my nose is stopped up when I talk. Is that normal? I mean I've been hearing for 23 years and I just didn't realize my speech would change so fast. Any feedback would be nice.

My speech has gotten more "sloppy" (as in chicken has now become shHichen) and sometimes it is hard for people to understand me but not often.
I have progressive hearing loss so I had near normal hearing when learning how to speak. I went to speech therapy as a child which helped.

Most people honestly ask me where I'm from "because [i'm] not from around here".
I usually just ask where they think I'm from and so far the polls show that I'm from either Canada, Ireland, South Africa, or Russia. So...yeah.

Hi I don't know if this is the right forum or not so I'm sorry if it isn't. I went deaf April of this year and my husband says my speech is starting to change. He said it sounds like my nose is stopped up when I talk. Is that normal? I mean I've been hearing for 23 years and I just didn't realize my speech would change so fast. Any feedback would be nice.

I've been profoundly deaf all my life, had speech therapy from 3 to 22 years old and now at 27 years old, I speak like a hearing person. Very few people realise I'm profoundly deaf when I speak.

When I tired tho, things can change, lol.

My audiologist suggested that I seek Vocal Therapy to retain my "normal speech" as not to lose my "regular" voice. Not that I really care in all honesty... I prefer to go "voice off" as is anyway... =P

I'm told my voice is monotone since I went deaf two years ago.

Same thing here. I am basically 100% voice off and rely on texting/notes and such. It works. I've been told that my voice has become more of a monotone and that i slur words together and don't accent properly. Oh well!

My audiologist suggested that I seek Vocal Therapy to retain my "normal speech" as not to lose my "regular" voice. Not that I really care in all honesty... I prefer to go "voice off" as is anyway... =P

glickchick, if you dont mind me asking, what caused your hearing loss?

Same thing here. I am basically 100% voice off and rely on texting/notes and such. It works. I've been told that my voice has become more of a monotone and that i slur words together and don't accent properly. Oh well!

EXACTLY! Who cares... I'm one intelligent chick! I have two bachelors degrees and another Associates. Just because your voice doesn't sound "normal" doesn't mean you're not intelligent! Who is anyone to say what is normal anyway! :D

I'm 26 years old, and when I have my H.A. in I think it's HILARIOUS to stop and dance with people at stop lights! ( The cool ones dance back! ) That's my normal... :giggle: Everyone else can shove it if they want to make you feel like an idiot for how you sound. :laugh2: Granted I know how everyone says "it's what's on the inside that counts! " :roll: Everyone is so judgmental... Just don't let those judgmental jerks get to you, and speak if you want to, and don't if you don't want to! =P It's all about you and making yourself happy! :D

:ty::ty::ty::ty::ty:

Sure - To make a long story short, I was in a really bad car accident that basically shattered my cochlear nerve and left me totally deaf. It's been quite an adjustment!

-Lauren

glickchick, if you dont mind me asking, what caused your hearing loss?

Sure - To make a long story short, I was in a really bad car accident that basically shattered my cochlear nerve and left me totally deaf. It's been quite an adjustment!

-Lauren

It left you totally deaf in both ears?
Basilar fractures (the ones that could harm the 8th cranial nerve/hearing nerve) are almost always unilateral and often deadly. I don't think I've ever heard about bilateral basilar fractures.
Is it possible that you have conductive hearing loss? That would make much more sense.
I'm a medical person and just trying to figure out how that could happen.

My condolences for your accident. It's never an easy on-setting adjustment for us lucky ones. I know I was electrocuted. Wham bam you're deaf ma'am. Now I'm terrified of electricity... =O lol

Hi there,

I'm a bit foggy on the medical diagnosis, but I do know for sure that I had cranial VIII damage. I also had some damage to cranial VII which caused some facial paralysis as well, which thankfully has gotten a lot better and is hardly noticeable anymore. I can dig up all of the stuff from my hospital stay and follow up appointments if you're interested! I remember waking up in the hospital, seeing my parents and the doctor, and seeing their mouths move without hearing anything at all. I was told on a little portable whiteboard that I had suffered bad damage to my auditory nerve and was left permanently deaf. While obviously I was (and actually, to a large degree, still am) devastated and shocked, I do know how lucky I am to even be here, and life has gone on (though i continue to be forced to find a new normal).

-Lauren

It left you totally deaf in both ears?
Basilar fractures (the ones that could harm the 8th cranial nerve/hearing nerve) are almost always unilateral and often deadly. I don't think I've ever heard about bilateral basilar fractures.
Is it possible that you have conductive hearing loss? That would make much more sense.
I'm a medical person and just trying to figure out how that could happen.

Yikes!! Definitely not easy or fun... But we get forced to adapt!

My condolences for your accident. It's never an easy on-setting adjustment for us lucky ones. I know I was electrocuted. Wham bam you're deaf ma'am. Now I'm terrified of electricity... =O lol

Thanks! Life is going pretty well. It's hard to believe it's been two years, but I am still here to tell the tale. It's obviously an adjustment, and life is certainly different, but I've accepted that this is how I am and it's not going to change. School has definitely been harder (though the university has been amazing at making accommodations for me), and my grades have slipped a bit since going deaf, but I'm still doing well. Socially, I've found out who my true friends really are, and they've stuck by me and have been amazingly supportive, even in the smallest ways, like writing things down for me so that I can keep pace with what's going on when we're in group settings. I've basically gone voice off, so I really rely on writing things down/texting/etc to "speak", but I do think I am going to make the commitment to really learn ASL finally. 2 years in, I can't say that I prefer to be this way, but I've accepted it as my new reality. How are you doing?

oh whoa hello there again! welcome back! it's been a while! let me know if you would like some information on couple of good places to learn ASL in NYC.

Thanks - That would be awesome. I've made the commitment that I am going to start to learn again. Any info would be much appreciated.

oh whoa hello there again! welcome back! it's been a while! let me know if you would like some information on couple of good places to learn ASL in NYC.

Back