• leave too long with mostiure?

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • too many cats?

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

CoolieFroggie

Reaction score
How you would solve this and please share with the tips

Can you please clarify the "sour smell"? Please and thanks.

Could it be the sour smell you taste or sniff in the air? If so, you could be coming down with a cold/cough. There is a nasty flu bug going around.

If it's a sour smell in the kitchen or around the house (from the vents) - if you live in an apartment, it could be from another apartment.

I just came home from another place and the smell wasn't sour. It was awful, landlords were chainsmokers and we had to buy two cans of Febreeze to spray our stuff.

:: Ooopsie, I didn't see your poll, it could be the lime in your water. Have you considered getting the lime checked? :: Post edit.

My husbands clothes have had a "musty" smell to them in the past. We tried all sorts of detergents, oxy clean etc. We think it was water that becomes trapped in the washer after each load (we have a front loading washer in it gets trapped in the front opening). Some people clean thier fridges with vanilla if there's a bad odor in the fridge, depending on the smell in the washer that might do the trick if bleach or vinigar doesn't work.
-Beth

I bet if you forgot your clothes left in the washer machine too long few days.. will come stink and moisture..

*yuck*

Once I did forgot about our clothes are in the washer over the weekend.. and ready work on laundry.. OH GEEE... forgot about our clothes there's already smelled stink and moisture looks alike MOLD.. Have to re wash again full of soap..

Ugh!

something up with my washer smell sour, and when i come home and i walked in kitchen it smell sour.. FlyFree is very ANAL about cleaning in Kitchen.. she wouldn't ever left any gross smelling bad in kitchen.. One time one day when FlyFree and I went to Ohio for a weekend vacation and we come home and smell so bad in bathroom which nobody would use bathroom but when u flush water or start water to wash hands and it come so bad smell..

i think maybe from under ground and stink go to toilet.. u know what i mean... so i think need buy ( i forget what call) to kill germ for under ground...

Cookie Monster said:
This is a very wonderful link about Water Quality Prevention.

thanks i will check it out and read few of things and hopeful it works better for me and FlyFree.

that's remind me of cabin..

we always put 1 cup in toilet tank and 1 cup in toilet.. leave it.. dont flush.. and gone for couple weeks.. that goes same with washer too.. pour 1 cup of bleach in and use hot water cycle.. let it go through the cycle.. before you start your next load.. I dont know about the water heater.. that what the softener salt use for.. (shrugs)..

Oh by the way dishwasher too.. spray vinegar in it.. before you gone for vacation..

I hope it works out for ya both..

also you have too many cats though...

It is sour smell and you may have copper in your water. Better get it treated. Cuz every time I go to get my hair cut and the sylist noticed that I have green in my hair. YIKES!!!!!!!! so it had to be water so I installed the purfier on my shower head and it gone :p to the water.

Pomeranian said:
It is sour smell and you may have copper in your water. Better get it treated. Cuz every time I go to get my hair cut and the sylist noticed that I have green in my hair. YIKES!!!!!!!! so it had to be water so I installed the purfier on my shower head and it gone :p to the water.

yeah thats what softener water is for.. treated water.. I remembered my first owned house in 1996... I dont know what softener water tank for.. and didnt fill the pellets.. till my hair turned ORANGISH.. and went to beauty.. told me that i have green and orangish.. told me about water need to be treated.. thats how i asked questions about softener water.. AHH.. right after i left the beauty shop and stopped to get some pellets.. after that.. its fine! lol

:fly3:

You were only gone for a week? and came home and the house smell? Wow That never happened to me I was gone longer than you and Flyfree were. I was gone for a month and half and never came home to that type of smell before. Maybe something is block in your sewer? :dunno: Did you clean the house before leaving on your short vacation?

You also might want to try to scrub the washer drum walls and pull out the agitator and scrub underneath there too to get rid of the scummy film that builds up & smells......

DoofusMama said:
yeah thats what softener water is for.. treated water.. I remembered my first owned house in 1996... I dont know what softener water tank for.. and didnt fill the pellets.. till my hair turned ORANGISH.. and went to beauty.. told me that i have green and orangish.. told me about water need to be treated.. thats how i asked questions about softener water.. AHH.. right after i left the beauty shop and stopped to get some pellets.. after that.. its fine! lol

:eek: Really?! That is something else to learn about. I never experience that before. :Ohno: So, if your hair color changes that means something wrong with the water fountain? Interesting. Thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Cheri said:
:eek: Really?! That is something else to learn about. I never experience that before. :Ohno: So, if your hair color changes that means something wrong with the water fountain? Interesting. Thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Yea Cheri, I hope it doesnt happened to you. Here at my house first time. Never happened to me. I guess that darn cheap park manager. :pissed:

Cheri said:
You were only gone for a week? and came home and the house smell? Wow That never happened to me I was gone longer than you and Flyfree were. I was gone for a month and half and never came home to that type of smell before. Maybe something is block in your sewer? :dunno: Did you clean the house before leaving on your short vacation?

FlyFree and I had clean everything in the house before we gone to Vacation and buy extra cat food/ cat litter to leave as cat sitter.... I suspect because of the duplex we are all using same water and it could be other niegorhood (sp?)

DoofusMama said:

wow i dont know abt that.. thanks let me know abt that..

If you have a garbage disposal in your kitchen sink, that may be the problem.

Many of us just run water and turn on the disposal until the vibrations smooths out - and oftentimes pieces of food is still left on the walls of the disposal. That may be causing the smell.

Now this is where it gets a bit technical -

I love my Oxy-Clean!

Fill the garbage disposal to the top (you will notice the water going above the rubber around the drain) with warm water and pour a half-cup of Oxy-Clean down there (it will not hurt the garbage disposal, the plumbing or the sewer system) while the water is running into the drain, and plug the stopper in the drain. Leave alone for about a hour. The Oxy-Clean will do its job... just like scrubbing oxygen bubbles.

After a hour has passed, unplug the drain and start running warm water into the sink - turn on the garbage disposal and let it run for about 30 seconds. The food on the walls of the disposal should have dissolved by now, and the smell will be gone.

Hope this helps.

Back