Sound and Fury DVD

i watch that dvd also from library

i know that not so easy for adults and kids should have CI or without! but my parents wont let me have CI dues prices reasons!

This law varies by state, in the United States.

In California, where I live, the law is if you purchase a DVD, you have however many days the seller of the product allows you to return electronic items...you can only return it if it is UNOPENED.

NZ has a non returnable dvd copyright law - due to ppl buying and then copying the dvd then returning it for $$ they've made a law...if you buy CDs or DVDS its nonreturnable....

its only replaceable - so not much point returning if another dvd is gonna have the same result :shock:

sara - i thought in the states the insurance pays?

and regarding to returning dvds - i bet if it wasnt opened then its a whole different story, as obviously theres proof it hasnt been opened etc so surely they'd refund the money??? havent tried etc..

btw - that caption website - already tried that - i looked at like 10-15 websites and they all have nothing...

i know the solution would be for someone to take the caption file off their DVD and upload it and I can run it through a captioning software side by side with the movie on my laptop and that'd be sweet!

Although there are DVD players that will play CC, most of them have to be set to do so. Have you checked all the options in setup or menu? Just a thought. As for the pc, that could be just a plugin that is missing.

i use power dvd - and the subtitles work on all other dvds like lord of rings or tranformers etc or is CC another format thats seperate to subtitles / captions ???

i use power dvd - and the subtitles work on all other dvds like lord of rings or tranformers etc or is CC another format thats seperate to subtitles / captions ???
CC is different from subtitles. That much I do know.A subtitle file, with the extension srt, will play with the video if both files are in the same directory. Not sure how it works with power dvd. Since CC is something that is supposed to be optional, unlike subtitles when downloaded off the internet, just not sure how that works. I know that ripped dvds don't always include subs or CC.
But, you seem to be talking about a purchased dvd. With CC, since it supposed to be part of the original DVD file it is an extra "option" from what I understand. It has to be "turned on" somewhere in the menu/options area of the dvd player or tv.
If neither one can be activated, then my guess is that the CC does not exist.

NZ has a non returnable dvd copyright law - due to ppl buying and then copying the dvd then returning it for $$ they've made a law...if you buy CDs or DVDS its nonreturnable....

its only replaceable - so not much point returning if another dvd is gonna have the same result :shock:

Same Law in UK But when you don't get what you want you take it back, I had done this many times when they tried to sell popular DVD's cheap some of them didn't have captions, i took them back explained to them that the dvd doesn't have captions, and i am deaf, they happily exchanged for me. They sometime (rarely) watch it for a bit trying to get captions on, so that they can see i was telling the truth. I took recipet too.

My favourtie film 7 years in tibet (i saw it on tv many years ago with subtitles) now they have it on DVD, even though it states subitiles for HOH/deaf it doesn't have it, 3rd time i took it back they gave me money back. I really wanted to see that film again...

when i click the captions button on the dvd player - its all greyed out...

on computer it asks if i want default setting and i say no and it lets me change it so I changed to closed captions - unfortunately didnt work...

gonna look tommorrow see if I can find a program that activvates CC automatically..

7 years in tibet - theres caption versions in the rental stores here - loved that movie myself.....

I never watch this movie before. I really want to watch it so badly. I tried to check on my tv guide with PBS schedule available. It's unavailable. Do I should rent a dvd from Library or I buy my own DVD of Sound and Fury with CC? I want to see on my own eyes and thought about it. I will find answer the question.

I think I saw DVD at Hallmark store when I bought the DVD-Love is never Silent. :)

I just watched this movie last night. I rented it from the local library. The main feature had CC, but the "bonus" footage was all non-captioned. Ticked me off a bit, but made sense since the film, despite the subject matter, is definitely intended for a hearing audience.

I was offended by the film, to tell you the truth. It made Deaf people look ignorant, closed-minded and unintelligent in many places. It also made CI's seem like amazing "cures" for deafness. It had very little background information about Deaf culture, which is necessary to provided a context for the anger and sentiments exhibited by the Deaf individuals in the film. There were many good parts, and certainly good questions were raised, but on the whole I felt it was a very biased film and definitely had an agenda.

I also watched the follow-up to the film: "Sound and Fury: 6 years later." That was interesting, in that it painted the Deaf family members in a much different light now that they had "accepted" CIs. Something that really clued me in to the intentions of the filmmakers was at the end of the movie, the COCHLEAR brand logo flash across the screen, which I took as meaning they sponsored the production costs. Money talks.

I am not anti-CI at all, but I am definitely anti-misrepresentation of facts and positions, and this movie was full of shit. If you are considering a CI, I don't think this movie will provide you with any useful information at all.

I just watched this movie last night. I rented it from the local library. The main feature had CC, but the "bonus" footage was all non-captioned. Ticked me off a bit, but made sense since the film, despite the subject matter, is definitely intended for a hearing audience.

I was offended by the film, to tell you the truth. It made Deaf people look ignorant, closed-minded and unintelligent in many places. It also made CI's seem like amazing "cures" for deafness. It had very little background information about Deaf culture, which is necessary to provided a context for the anger and sentiments exhibited by the Deaf individuals in the film. There were many good parts, and certainly good questions were raised, but on the whole I felt it was a very biased film and definitely had an agenda.

I also watched the follow-up to the film: "Sound and Fury: 6 years later." That was interesting, in that it painted the Deaf family members in a much different light now that they had "accepted" CIs. Something that really clued me in to the intentions of the filmmakers was at the end of the movie, the COCHLEAR brand logo flash across the screen, which I took as meaning they sponsored the production costs. Money talks.

I am not anti-CI at all, but I am definitely anti-misrepresentation of facts and positions, and this movie was full of shit. If you are considering a CI, I don't think this movie will provide you with any useful information at all.

One of the family members is also an AD member. Maybe she will reply to your post.

Thanks, Bott. I didn't see many posts in there from DT, but both threads were certainly very interesting reading material! I had to stop after an hour and a half. Wow, couldn't believe some of patriarchal, misinformed attitudes being exhibited on those threads. *Sigh*

http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/63648-oral-school.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/64115-all-hearing-parents-deaf-kids.html

Start with these locked threads.

Then you can just read all the posts of a poster you are interested in.

doubletrouble is the person you are interested in.

CI is not cure for deafness.

I read the transcript of Sound and Fury before my first CI surgery and enjoyed it. After I received my CI, I watched it on my VCR (I didn't have a DVD player at the time) and liked it just as much. I don't see any problem with the Cochlear logo appearing in the video. It's no different than AB or anyone else doing the same thing in their promotional videos.

By the way, there was an AB video that I thought was unrealistic. I won't name what it is, but I was very disappointed at the way it portrayed CIs. It featured someone who was a "top performer" with their implant which encouraged new CI candidates to have high expectations for their CI. I think any video regardless of who makes it should express the pros and cons of implants. Don't just talk about all of the wonderful sounds a person can hear and make it appear as if the moment they turn on their CI, they can understand 100%. I'm referring to all 3 companies -- not one in particular.

To be fair, there were 2 other AB videos that I thought were very well done. I have several videos from 2 CI companies on VCR tape and plan to purchase them on DVD.

Back