Sound and Fury DVD

Shel,

I can see why parents of children with CIs want hearing teachers. It makes sense when you think about the fact that speech is the main emphasis when someone has a CI.

If it were my child who were implanted, I'd still encourage them to be part of the Deaf community and to have Deaf role models, but I can understand where hearing parents are coming from.

Perhaps that's just because of my oral upbringing. I'm not all that familiar with Deaf culture (in the true sense) so I may be off base and biased in my opinion.

Shel,

I just deleted the entire post you quoted.

Sorry mods. I will refrain from further discussion of religion.

Shel,

I can see why parents of children with CIs want hearing teachers. It makes sense when you think about the fact that speech is the main emphasis when someone has a CI.

If it were my child who were implanted, I'd still encourage them to be part of the Deaf community and to have Deaf role models, but I can understand where hearing parents are coming from.

Perhaps that's just because of my oral upbringing. I'm not all that familiar with Deaf culture (in the true sense) so I may be off base and biased in my opinion.

Because of that, a few of my friends have lost their jobs as Deaf educators. Not at where I work but in other places. It is a shame.

So what is it exactly you would like to know?

Do you feel that Cochlear displaying their logo on the video makes it biased and pro-CI? Do you also think that Deaf people were portrayed in a negative light?

In my opinion, the answer to both questions is no.

Because of that, a few of my friends have lost their jobs as Deaf educators. Not at where I work but in other places. It is a shame.

Why couldn't they work with Deaf students who did not have CIs? Sorry. I don't understand the inner workings of schools for the deaf, but if they are anything like schools for the blind, it's sad because blind teachers experience the same discrimination.

Why couldn't they work with Deaf students who did not have CIs? Sorry. I don't understand the inner workings of schools for the deaf, but if they are anything like schools for the blind, it's sad because blind teachers experience the same discrimination.

Because where they work at, there are no deaf children without CIs. The point is they have the right to educate all deaf children not just a select few. I just find it really sad especially since the hearing teachers still continue to use ASL in the classrooms. Go figure.

Besides the purpose of Deaf Ed is to teach the material, not speech.

Sorry Shel. I didn't mean to upset you.

I have been upset about it for several years especially recently with my friends getting "pushed" out. Oh well.

I have said this before, if I lose my teaching job because I am deaf, that's the end of my teaching career. I refuse to work in a field that is so discriminatory. As of now, where I work at, deaf employees get a lot of respect but there are a few incidents popping up with the parents starting to inquire about their child having hearing teachers. I give it another 5 years before it starts impacting us, deaf workers.

Cynicial? Yeppers.

I will find a career somewhere else.

Oh well.

Thanks HA. :)

Again, I'm sorry to have upset you Shel. I don't know alot about Deaf ed, so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to those issues. I'm more familiar with issues that affect the blind. My bad.

Again, I'm sorry to have upset you Shel. I don't know alot about Deaf ed, so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to those issues. I'm more familiar with issues that affect the blind. My bad.

Dont blame ya. I am glad u are honest. I am ignorant about blind education! :lol:

Oh and :ty: for understanding Shel. This is exactly why I don't comment in alot of the Deaf ed threads because I'm not familiar enough with it to speak intelligently. I'll stick to politics instead. :giggle:

Do you feel that Cochlear displaying their logo on the video makes it biased and pro-CI? Do you also think that Deaf people were portrayed in a negative light?

In my opinion, the answer to both questions is no.

Well the logo Iassume is on the 2nd DVD and to be quite honest, I have never seen the movie. We opted not to be in it, so I am really not familiar with the movie at all.

At some parts of "Sound and Fury", yes, I do think that some Deaf people were portrayed negatively- however, I know that the filmaker really did try to make the movie as fair as possible. And the word is some.... even though it was a "movie" it was my life really occurring at the time, and some of the feelings expressed by some Deaf people were true, raw emotion.

Shel, I told you quite honestly, come up to New York. I would LOVE for you to teach my son! A know of a school district who could use an awesome TOD!

Just as a side note, Peter just had his "moving up" ceremony yesterday. Here he is with his Deaf Grandfather and twin brother.

Well the logo Iassume is on the 2nd DVD and to be quite honest, I have never seen the movie. We opted not to be in it, so I am really not familiar with the movie at all.

At some parts of "Sound and Fury", yes, I do think that some Deaf people were portrayed negatively- however, I know that the filmaker really did try to make the movie as fair as possible. And the word is some.... even though it was a "movie" it was my life really occurring at the time, and some of the feelings expressed by some Deaf people were true, raw emotion.

Shel, I told you quite honestly, come up to New York. I would LOVE for you to teach my son! A know of a school district who could use an awesome TOD!

Just as a side note, Peter just had his "moving up" ceremony yesterday. Here he is with his Deaf Grandfather and twin brother.

Aww thanks!

Most of the parents of the children that go to where I work are happy with their children having deaf TODs so it is all good for now and I hope it stays that way for a long time.

Cute pic!!!

I appreciate your response. Thanks! :)

The Root Of The Problem

I have given this some thought & do not want to rile anyone(just my feeling on the issue). The root of the problem as I see it is how CI's were presented from the start(probably maketing by CI makers). They were presented as a cure, we all know that in some cases they are very helpful but they are not a cure. Also if you present something as a cure you implie a defect.

I have given this some thought & do not want to rile anyone(just my feeling on the issue). The root of the problem as I see it is how CI's were presented from the start(probably maketing by CI makers). They were presented as a cure, we all know that in some cases they are very helpful but they are not a cure. Also if you present something as a cure you implie a defect.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point u got there!

My Apologies

My Apologies I was refferring to when CI's were first introduced to the market place.

Back