some things that make up a good interpreter

lfreed

Reaction score
here are some:

1. have skill
2. know when you are not suited for a certain assignment.
3. have an excellent command of the english language for voicing
4. never be ashamed to ask a speaker for clarification.
5. never be ashamed to ask the deaf person to please repeat because you simply didn't get it. this may be awkward at first but the deaf person 99 % of the time will respect you for wanting to get the message exactly right
6. never be late
7. know different signing systems such as ASL, SEE, contact.....
8. always ask or match the signing style of your client or student
9. know regional signs
10. attend deaf events, if you are a coda or soda this will always go smoother
11. most importantly, find a deaf girlfriend, still trying. lfreed

I agree with #1-10.

Not #11; I am married to a hearing man. :)

I have yet to have an interpreter I have disliked or didn't appreciate.
Sometimes they get a bit annoying but I always manage to remind myself that they are human beings trying to help, and that always win me over to their side as far as my tolerance goes.
God bless them, we are fortunate to have them to begin with.

Reba said:
Not #11; I am married to a hearing man. :)

Yyyyyeah, can't really agree with that "most important" part. I live with my hearing boyfriend. And gay male interpreters probably wouldn't go for it either.

The rest is a good list. I would say...

11. Be able to laugh at yourself
12. Respect confidentiality.
13. Don't take the work personally (i.e. if the client doesn't like you and/or your work, or if you screw up...GET OVER IT!)

For #11, I personally am fine with making a total fool out of myself in public, which I have found a useful skill as an interpreter at times. #12 is a no-brainer. But I'm still working on #13. It's tough.

New term??

lfreed said:
here are some:

I've heard of 'child of deaf adults.' What is 'soda'? Spouse of deaf adult?

lfreed said:
here are some:

1. have skill
2. know when you are not suited for a certain assignment.
3. have an excellent command of the english language for voicing
4. never be ashamed to ask a speaker for clarification.
5. never be ashamed to ask the deaf person to please repeat because you simply didn't get it. this may be awkward at first but the deaf person 99 % of the time will respect you for wanting to get the message exactly right
6. never be late
7. know different signing systems such as ASL, SEE, contact.....
8. always ask or match the signing style of your client or student
9. know regional signs
11. most importantly, find a deaf girlfriend, still trying. lfreed
As a boyfriend of interpreter, I agree with all of these points but I do agree and disagree with number 11. Allow me explain what I mean... (I tried to convince my date to post around in interpreting forums but she apparently don't feel up to it)

You see, it is not 'ethic' to grab a deaf boyfriend/girlfriend and use them to speed up their sign language skill. I don't know about other deafies but it will hurt me if they used me to develop their sign language skills. If it is all for love and friendship then be your guest. Nas went out with me because of my character, personality and other things.

However you are right that it is good opportunity for interpreters to pick up the sign language faster than any kind of methods if they somehow go out with their deaf lovers. Of course she was thrilled that she can learn some more from me by engaging in conversations and discussions with me. I tend to use 'high-end' ASL most of time without using the lips so she have bit hard time to pick up but she is getting better and better at reading my ASL. She finally can keep with us when she was engaging in conversation with me and my deaf friends.. Before she can do that, she couldn't keep up with me and my friends. When she does, she is confident enough to interpret for deafies in courtrooms... she started to do that approx two months ago to now.

Magatsu said:
You see, it is not 'ethic' to grab a deaf boyfriend/girlfriend and use them to speed up their sign language skill. I don't know about other deafies but it will hurt me if they used me to develop their sign language skills. If it is all for love and friendship then be your guest. Nas went out with me because of my character, personality and other things.

However you are right that it is good opportunity for interpreters to pick up the sign language faster than any kind of methods if they somehow go out with their deaf lovers...
Very good points; thank you!

I do have one question.... Jack Seward, in Japanese in Action, mentions a post-WWII stereotype of the US soldier who speaks Japanese using feminine vocabulary and constructs because he picks it up from a (female) Japanese paramour. (Imagine a foreign man picking up English from a Valley Girl and going around sounding like Moon Unit Zappa in "Valley Girl" :giggle:). Is there enough of a difference in ASL usage between men and women that a person picking up ASL from someone of the opposite sex would have a similar problem?

jejones3141 said:
Very good points; thank you!

I do have one question.... Jack Seward, in Japanese in Action, mentions a post-WWII stereotype of the US soldier who speaks Japanese using feminine vocabulary and constructs because he picks it up from a (female) Japanese paramour. (Imagine a foreign man picking up English from a Valley Girl and going around sounding like Moon Unit Zappa in "Valley Girl" :giggle:). Is there enough of a difference in ASL usage between men and women that a person picking up ASL from someone of the opposite sex would have a similar problem?
heheh.

About your question, I don't think so. But it is mostly vary on individual and its environment. I know one guy who grew up in female-strong family and he signed/gestured like a 'girl' in some way but I know other guy who grew up in female-strong family didn't signed/gestured like a 'girl' at all. In fact, his ASL is the most 'loud' ever I seen. I mean, very moving and hands went wild when he signed... he often hit other people by accident with his 'wild' gestures/signs.

jejones3141 said:
Is there enough of a difference in ASL usage between men and women that a person picking up ASL from someone of the opposite sex would have a similar problem?

As far as I know there are no grammatical differences like you mention in the Japanese example (very interesting!!). There are gender differences in all languages, though. I can think of plenty of documented examples in English, for example, such as how women tend to smile and apologize more, and also raise their vocal intonation at the end of a sentence. ("I knew this guy? He was always getting into fights?") It's not exactly a strict grammatical difference but you'd probably make some assumptions about a male who spoke that way.

I would guess (this is only a guess) that there are similar differences in ASL but I am not fluent enough to know how much they change the meaning of what is signed. I know there are documented examples of how men and women sign differently but of course I can't remember any of them right now.

Back