Some Math help pls?? =/

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
Okayy...Its time to ask you guys for this:

Can you help me with some math?? The most thing i'm pretty much having a hard time with is Algebra..Solving for X. And My grandparents got me this book called: Math Doesn't Suck by Danica MCKellar. And I was looking at the algebra part. Solving for x. And I'm kind of confused by this. And I need you guys to help me understand how to do this. I'll give you guys 2 problems so you can help me step-by-step. IT would be helpful!! :D

Problem #1:

6x+1=2x+5
-- I did this with my dad, but it got kind of confusing when he was trying to help me with this.

Problem #2:

x/5+1=3
-- I couldn't get this one at all..Solving x from fractions?? idk how to do that at all!!!!!!!!

Can you help me with some math?? The most thing i'm pretty much having a hard time with is Algebra..Solving for X. And My grandparents got me this book called: Math Doesn't Suck by Danica MCKellar. And I was looking at the algebra part. Solving for x. And I'm kind of confused by this. And I need you guys to help me understand how to do this. I'll give you guys 2 problems so you can help me step-by-step. IT would be helpful!! :D

Problem #1:

6x+1=2x+5
-- I did this with my dad, but it got kind of confusing when he was trying to help me with this.

Problem #2:

x/5+1=3
-- I couldn't get this one at all..Solving x from fractions?? idk how to do that at all!!!!!!!!

6x+1=2x+5

The x on both sides has nothing to do with it, you need to add it up on both sides. easy. So the answer is 7x

x/5 + 1 = 3

Above - you see the x bolded? That is the question mark right there. You need to work out what number that can match to get the correct answer, the correct answer is 3 as bolded.

Problem #1:

6x+1=2x+5

Problem #2:

x/5+1=3
Code:
.          6x + 1 = 2x + 5
.     6x + 1 [color=red]- 2x[/color] = 2x + 5 [color=red]- 2x[/color]
.          4x + 1 = 5
.      4x + 1 [color=red]- 1[/color] = 5 [color=red]- 1[/color]
.              4x = 4
.          4x [color=red]/ 4[/color] = 4 [color=red]/ 4[/color]
.               x = 1

This depends on how it's written in the book.

If it's written as...

.     (x / 5) + 1 = 3
. (x / 5) + 1 [color=red]- 1[/color] = 3 [color=red]- 1[/color]
.           x / 5 = 2
.       x / 5 [color=red]* 5[/color] = 2 [color=red]* 5[/color]
.               x = 10

If it's written as...

.     x / (5 + 1) = 3
.           x / 6 = 3
.       x / 6 [color=red]* 6[/color] = 3 [color=red]* 6[/color]
.               x = 18

6x+1=2x+5

The x on both sides has nothing to do with it, you need to add it up on both sides. easy. So the answer is 7x

x/5 + 1 = 3

Above - you see the x bolded? That is the question mark right there. You need to work out what number that can match to get the correct answer, the correct answer is 3 as bolded.

for x/5+1-3 answer is 3?? how can you get that answer?? i'm a little bit confused... as for 6x+1=2x+5...yeah i still don't have that light bulb up...:hmm: :hmm:

Vampyo's explanations are more complicated than I thought.

Code:
.          6x + 1 = 2x + 5
.     6x + 1 - 2x = 2x + 5 - 2x
.          4x + 1 = 5
.      4x + 1 - 1 = 5 - 1
.              4x = 4
.          4x / 4 = 4 / 4
.               x = 1

This depends on how it's written in the book.

If it's written as...

.     (x / 5) + 1 = 3
. (x / 5) + 1 - 1 = 3 - 1
.           x / 5 = 2
.       x / 5 * 5 = 2 * 5
.               x = 10

If it's written as...

.     x / (5 + 1) = 3
.           x / 6 = 3
.       x / 6 * 6 = 3 * 6
.               x = 18

I'll give you an example on what the book says about it::

Step one: x/3+2=5--
First, we'll rewrite this with a box []/3+2=5. And what does []/3 mean? It means 'one third of a box of perals' what we want to find is the value of [] by itself--the whole box.

Step 2:
Remember, we're trying to get the [] by itself, so let's start by subtracting 2 pearls from each side, so that "all the stuff with the boxes' is on one side, and all the plain numbers are on the other::

[]/3+2=5
[]/3+2-2=5-2
(subtract 2 from both sides, keeping the scales balanced)

Step 3:
It's looking better= we seem to be getting closer to getting the [] all by itself, but we're not there yet. How can we get rid of the 3 on the bottom? Hmm What if we multiplied the box fraction by 3? As long we do that to both sides of the equation, we'll keep the scales balanced:
[]/3 x 3= 3 x 3
(multiplying both sides by 3 keeps the scales balanced) Now we get:

[] x3/3 =9

[]=9

In other words: x=9
(You may be wondering how we got so 'lucky' that the 3s cancel to get x by itself, but remember, that's exactly why we chose to multiply by 3.)

Last edited:
I just noticed that you highlighted the numberals in red and I had a good read and I realized that you're right. I read it through and my maths complication went back to me... and I remembered....three years ago! Yikes!

I just noticed that you highlighted the numberals in red and I had a good read and I realized that you're right. I read it through and my maths complication went back to me... and I remembered....three years ago! Yikes!

Hehe, the post above u JClarke is what the book explained to solve for X.. may that refresh ur memory?? :giggle:

I'll give you an example on what the book says about it::

Step one: x/3+2=5--
First, we'll rewrite this with a box []/3+2=5. And what does []/3 mean? It means 'one third of a box of perals' what we want to find is the value of [] by itself--the whole box.

Step 2:
Remember, we're trying to get the [] by itself, so let's start by subtracting 2 pearls from each side, so that "all the stuff with the boxes' is on one side, and all the plain numbers are on the other::

[]/3+2=5
[]/3+2-2=5-2
(subtract 2 from both sides, keeping the scales balanced)

Step 3:
It's looking better= we seem to be getting closer to getting the [] all by itself, but we're not there yet. How can we get rid of the 3 on the bottom? Hmm What if we multiplied the box fraction by 3? As long we do that to both sides of the equation, we'll keep the scales balanced:
[]/3 x 3= 3 x 3
(multiplying both sides by 3 keeps the scales balanced) Now we get:

[] x3/3 =9

[]=9

In other words: x=9
(You may be wondering how we got so 'lucky' that the 3s cancel to get x by itself, but remember, that's exactly why we chose to multiply by 3.)
Ah, okay. Then I would follow the first answer... 10, not 18. :)

Basically, multiplication and division is done before addition and subtraction.

However, some problems include parenthesis that change the priority of things. That's why I was asking.

If the problem was "x / 5 + 1 = 3", then division would be of higher priority. That's why I said "(x / 5)" and you move the "1" around. However, if the book actually had "x / (5 + 1) = 3"... then the answer would be different.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing at first... but once you get a better understanding of priorities and exchanging places, then you'll do just fine. :)

Heh, yeah.

At first, it may seem confusing... but when you see what's really going on, then it all makes sense.

Wait until you get further in math like I did. ;)

I did... Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Technical Calculus, Technical Calculus II, Data Analysis, Physics, and Statistical Analysis. :Ohno:

Ah, okay. Then I would follow the first answer... 10, not 18. :)

Basically, multiplication and division is done before addition and subtraction.

However, some problems include parenthesis that change the priority of things. That's why I was asking.

If the problem was "x / 5 + 1 = 3", then division would be of higher priority. That's why I said "(x / 5)" and you move the "1" around. However, if the book actually had "x / (5 + 1) = 3"... then the answer would be different.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing at first... but once you get a better understanding of priorities and exchanging places, then you'll do just fine. :)

Yeah, My dad and I figured out this problem from the book that they given us:

2[]+6=10. Remember, []= 1x. Here's how we solved it:

2[]+6=10
2[]+(6-6)=10-6
2[]+0=4
2[]/2= 4/2
Answer: []=2 (or x=2.)

But I have to admit, Solving for y is kind of easy...I read it in the book and i understood like what? half of it? I understood the solving for x in word problems. And that was pretty easy that you have to write the equation down. But not for the fact you have to fiqure out the answer to the equation..which makes it a bit more harder..ohh boy..

But I have to admit, Solving for y is kind of easy...I read it in the book and i understood like what? half of it? I understood the solving for x in word problems. And that was pretty easy that you have to write the equation down. But not for the fact you have to fiqure out the answer to the equation..which makes it a bit more harder..ohh boy..
What class is this for?

The more you do it, the better you'll get. :thumb:

Any other problems?

What class is this for?

The more you do it, the better you'll get. :thumb:

Any other problems?

I'm not taking any advanced math classes. I'm in a basic math class that needs more help on stuff in high school. Because with moving to get to the right school for me i was way behind in my math subjects. And so, my math teacher from the 8th grade recommended for me to be in a small math class for me to get more help and more time to work on it. And I guess i'm doing pretty good in it. In 3rd quarter I got a "B" in math. But for a long time I had a "C" in my grade but my parents understood that and didn't get mad at me because they already know i struggle at math. But umm..lets see... I'm currently doing a math word problem for solving for x i think.. and i'm kinda trying to figure this out but i'll tell you what it says:

Let's say that brandon bought his girlfriend 4 posters for her wall. His girlfriend loves the tango, and all 4 posters have to do with tango dancing. all of the posters were the same price. let's call the price of one tango poster- p. While he was at the store, he also bought a book about filmmaking. The filmmaking book cost him $15.

A) In terms of p, how much, total, did Brandon spend at the store?

B) If Brandon spend a total of $95, how much did he spend on each poster? In other words, what is p?

And another word problem says:

Lucy said to Victoria, "One year from now, I'll be twice as old as you are today" Let's call Victoria's age today v.

A) What is Lucy's age one year from now, express in the terms of v?

B) What is Lucy's age today, express in the terms of v?

C) If Lucy's age today is 15, how old is Victoria today? ( in other words, solve for v)

I'll check back in the morning when I wake up, I have band rehersal at 1-4pm and i have a 2hr dinner break then i have to be back at 5:30pm and i start rehersal again from 6-9pm.. ohh boy..I'll check back here on AD b4 i have to leave for band..I'll bring my sidekick and check on AD if it works.. I'm going to bed now.. its 2:35AM here in Ohio! I'm stoppin here and i'm going to bed. I'll check back on this post when i get up and i'm all dressed up...boy i'm gonna be so tired..lol....Nite everyone!!!!

I'm not taking any advanced math classes. I'm in a basic math class that needs more help on stuff in high school. Because with moving to get to the right school for me i was way behind in my math subjects. And so, my math teacher from the 8th grade recommended for me to be in a small math class for me to get more help and more time to work on it. And I guess i'm doing pretty good in it. In 3rd quarter I got a "B" in math. But for a long time I had a "C" in my grade but my parents understood that and didn't get mad at me because they already know i struggle at math. But umm..lets see... I'm currently doing a math word problem for solving for x i think.. and i'm kinda trying to figure this out but i'll tell you what it says:

Let's say that brandon bought his girlfriend 4 posters for her wall. His girlfriend loves the tango, and all 4 posters have to do with tango dancing. all of the posters were the same price. let's call the price of one tango poster- p. While he was at the store, he also bought a book about filmmaking. The filmmaking book cost him $15.

A) In terms of p, how much, total, did Brandon spend at the store?

B) If Brandon spend a total of $95, how much did he spend on each poster? In other words, what is p?

Okay, here's what we know...

He bought 4 posters.

Each poster costs p dollars.

He also bought a book about film-making that costs $15.

The total altogether is $95.

Overall, that's 4 posters (4p) plus 1 book ($15) equals $95.

Code:
4[i]p[/i] + $15 = $95

Solve for [i]p[/i].

Last edited:
Back