Some Math help pls?? =/

What you are doing when solving for a variable such as x is isolating x to get a 'x = something' to tell you what x is.

That is done by combining the x's from both sides of the equation to get it onto one side. Then the numbers that are with x are canceled out by doing the same thing to both sides of the equation. That way, the new equation would mean the same thing as the old one.

5x + 1 = 2x -3
Here, I would combine the x's by subtracting 2x from both sides.

3x + 1 = -3
Now the x is on only one side, now I will do stuff to get x to be alone

3x = -4
I have subtracted one from both sides

x = -4/3
I have divided both sides by three, now x is alone and equals negative four third.

:eek3: I've forgotten algebra which I used to love... So, my point is, don't stress if you can't figure out, because it is unlikely that you will use algebra in day-to-day life - except for teaching your kids..:)

Problem #1:

6x+1=2x+5
-- I did this with my dad, but it got kind of confusing when he was trying to help me with this.

Problem #2:

x/5+1=3
-- I couldn't get this one at all..Solving x from fractions?? idk how to do that at all!!!!!!!!

easy... fear not, milady.

Problem 1:
6x + 1 = 2x + 5
4x = 4
x = 1

Problem 2:
x/5 + 1 = 3
x/5 = 2
x = 10

clarification: x/5 is same as x * 1/5

And another word problem says:

Lucy said to Victoria, "One year from now, I'll be twice as old as you are today" Let's call Victoria's age today v.

A) What is Lucy's age one year from now, express in the terms of v?

B) What is Lucy's age today, express in the terms of v?

C) If Lucy's age today is 15, how old is Victoria today? ( in other words, solve for v)

oh god....

Vampyrox is correct, the point of algebra is to isolate a variable. Multiply-Divide-Add-Subtract until the variable of interest stands alone.

It has been years for Math. Sadly I am doing Statistical Data Analysis and Databases for one of the subject at University. It gonna take me a while to remember how it works out the math calculation etc.

Okayy...Its time to ask you guys for this:

Can you help me with some math?? The most thing i'm pretty much having a hard time with is Algebra..Solving for X. And My grandparents got me this book called: Math Doesn't Suck by Danica MCKellar. And I was looking at the algebra part. Solving for x. And I'm kind of confused by this. And I need you guys to help me understand how to do this. I'll give you guys 2 problems so you can help me step-by-step. IT would be helpful!! :D

Problem #1:

6x+1=2x+5
-- I did this with my dad, but it got kind of confusing when he was trying to help me with this.

Problem #2:

x/5+1=3
-- I couldn't get this one at all..Solving x from fractions?? idk how to do that at all!!!!!!!!

Problem #1

6x + 1 = 2x + 5

6x + 1 -2 x = 5

4x + 1 = 5

4x = -1 + 5

4x = 4

4x/4 = 4/4

x = 4/4

x = 1

Problem #2

x/5 + 1 = 3

x/5 = -1 + 3

x/5=2

x/5 X 5 = 2 X 5

x = 2 X 5

x = 10

I hope that'll solve your problem.

I'm not taking any advanced math classes. I'm in a basic math class that needs more help on stuff in high school. Because with moving to get to the right school for me i was way behind in my math subjects. And so, my math teacher from the 8th grade recommended for me to be in a small math class for me to get more help and more time to work on it. And I guess i'm doing pretty good in it. In 3rd quarter I got a "B" in math. But for a long time I had a "C" in my grade but my parents understood that and didn't get mad at me because they already know i struggle at math. But umm..lets see... I'm currently doing a math word problem for solving for x i think.. and i'm kinda trying to figure this out but i'll tell you what it says:

Let's say that brandon bought his girlfriend 4 posters for her wall. His girlfriend loves the tango, and all 4 posters have to do with tango dancing. all of the posters were the same price. let's call the price of one tango poster- p. While he was at the store, he also bought a book about filmmaking. The filmmaking book cost him $15.

A) In terms of p, how much, total, did Brandon spend at the store?

B) If Brandon spend a total of $95, how much did he spend on each poster? In other words, what is p?

We now know that $15 needs to be subtracted from $95 since that was the cost of the book. That leaves $80. You take $80 and divide it by 4 (as in 4 posters.) What does that leave you with? $20 apiece.

I wrote this out instead of writing it as an equation. Because if there's one thing I learned from math, is that in order to apply a math question to everyday life (which is part of the purpose behind taking these classes,) then translate it into a form that makes sense. It makes it easier when trying to do quick calculations, such as at a register.

We now know that $15 needs to be subtracted from $95 since that was the cost of the book. That leaves $80. You take $80 and divide it by 4 (as in 4 posters.) What does that leave you with? $20 apiece.

I wrote this out instead of writing it as an equation. Because if there's one thing I learned from math, is that in order to apply a math question to everyday life (which is part of the purpose behind taking these classes,) then translate it into a form that makes sense. It makes it easier when trying to do quick calculations, such as at a register.
Part of that is right, but when it comes to doing homework in high school... the teachers will usually expect all work to be shown to show that you read the problem right.

In the real world, we can subtract $15 from $95 and then do the rest. However, in high school... they want to see it.

I've lost points from time to time because I ended up doing it in my head or skipped a few steps. As math got more advanced, then they would allow a few simple steps to be skipped since they know what you're thinking. (For instance, the steps I showed using red text.)

Back