So you don't even belong here.... Da da da.

See, this will be the best AD gathering of all time! We should keep this thread going until we actually manage to do it!

I like this little corner of the world. Comfy.

The convention itself was a blast, especially Mr. Shineyhead, Patrick Fisher.

Didn't have time to attend them all, got to go again. Would love to make it to one with lots of ADers. Maybe in a couple of years when I retire.

In the meantime I am happy in our little corner of the world and I love fruit salad sprinkled with a dab of lime juice.

I was shocked by the total lack of support and encouragement given by the more experienced people. I should not be so upset, by this selfish attitude and behavior, but I was truely offended as a human being. I am glad you had the opportunity to learn and to grow. We should never waste those opportunities. It was good hearing from you again. It sounds like things are going well for you in California.

marylou4

Wirelessly posted

So instead of "not Deaf enough," it's "not terp enough."

Oh, my. If I'd have thought of it that would have been a great title for this thread.

:lol: I didn't even realize they had a hierarchy for that

There are some greats out there. Mostly CODA's such as Sharon Neuman Solow, Lou Fant etc.

I was shocked by the total lack of support and encouragement given by the more experienced people. I should not be so upset, by this selfish attitude and behavior, but I was truely offended as a human being. I am glad you had the opportunity to learn and to grow. We should never waste those opportunities. It was good hearing from you again. It sounds like things are going well for you in California.

marylou4

It wasn't all of them, it wasn't even half. But it was large enough per cent there was no way to avoid them. The next time I meet a Deaf person who dislikes and distrusts terps, I will find myself thinking "They probably came across one or more of those 'Show me the money' kind and thinks everyone in the profession is like that."

It wasn't all of them, it wasn't even half. But it was large enough per cent there was no way to avoid them. The next time I meet a Deaf person who dislikes and distrusts terps, I will find myself thinking "They probably came across one or more of those 'Show me the money' kind and thinks everyone in the profession is like that."

Hate the lack of terps? Hate coming across an incompetent terp? I can understand that. But hating terps? Don't get it, never will. They bridge communication. They're needed in a lot of situations.

I know the feeling all too well. How many times have I gone someplace only to be told, I do not belong or at least I get the vibe that I do not belong there. I just consider myself the lone wolf and just do my thing and let everyone else do theirs. Because I am not a skilled signer I may not belong at an ASL convention, because I don't hear well I probably don't belong in a hearing convention. Oh well.

Hate the lack of terps? Hate coming across an incompetent terp? I can understand that. But hating terps? Don't get it, never will. They bridge communication. They're needed in a lot of situations.

Given a couple of bad experiences it can happen.

Thank you, Berry. Something that I just now blogged about. And your comments raised some interesting questions.
Kokonut Pundit: "Not 'terp' enough" - when interpreters discriminate and demean lower ranking learners

I just posted this to your blog:

I would like to make it clear that I did not mean ALL the interpreters, or even most of them, had this attitude.

It was a significant number, large enough so they could not be ignored, but by no means the general consensus.

I still believe most terps are in the profession because they love ASL and they love their jobs.

I would also like to point out that I tie animal balloons at parties, which requires far less skill than an interpreter, and I charge $50 an hour for that with a two hour minimum.

A qualified interpreter should earn at least that much to make it worth their time.

Right. Then again we have to look from the perspective of businesses when it comes to paying for interpreters such as the deaf bankruptcy case I outlined in my blog. Should businesses be forced to pay for interpreters even if it means cutting into their profits? This is becoming a conundrum.

There are always people that will do anything to make themselves better. Be it that they will discriminate against people with less experience. Or even belittle them to make the field less competitive.
*SHRUGS* Hopefully that group of people will not spread.

Right. Then again we have to look from the perspective of businesses when it comes to paying for interpreters such as the deaf bankruptcy case I outlined in my blog. Should businesses be forced to pay for interpreters even if it means cutting into their profits? This is becoming a conundrum.
They do get to claim the terp fee as a business expense.

The alternative is either no terp services or charge the deaf client, either which option is wrong.

Businesses will have to suck it up. Most of them don't have that many deaf clients that it would be a huge impact to their bottom line.

If a business can afford to put in required access ramps and wide-door bathrooms for wheelchairs, then they can pay for terp services.

The alternative is either no terp services or charge the deaf client, either which option is wrong.

Businesses will have to suck it up. Most of them don't have that many deaf clients that it would be a huge impact to their bottom line.

If a business can afford to put in required access ramps and wide-door bathrooms for wheelchairs, then they can pay for terp services.

Most people only look at upfront costs, not the end costs.

Sad.

Access ramps, wide-door bathrooms, are one time costs, not recurring expenses.

Most people only look at upfront costs, not the end costs.

Sad.
Sometimes the terps have to firmly, but tactfully, remind the businesses about these things, including the ADA laws.

If it's a first-time assignment with a business, I usually give them an introductory price reduction, or waive the mileage fee to ease their pain. Any kind of reduction lets them feel that they're getting a bargain, and cause them to feel more receptive to the service. If it turns into a long-term assignment I might offer them special rates. I give up a little initially but it usually works out better for everyone in the long term.

Access ramps, wide-door bathrooms, are one time costs, not recurring expenses.
They still cost more than most terp fees, even recurring.

It also protects the hearing clients from liabilities that could occur as a result of a communication misunderstanding.

Back