SnapVRS and Ojo VP

I work from home so one is from work and the other is my wife/family Ojo.

Re: Firewall: You don't need to do that since SIP connections are very flexible. In fact, if I remember correctly, you can, theoretically, plug in up to 75 ojo's behind one IP address where as the H323 protocol limits you to one VP per IP address.

I'm not a techie and I don't pretend to be one but this definitely is a big PLUS for the Ojo in terms of having multiple units in a home/office without having to request additional IP addresses.

Cool, thanks for explaining. I thought SIP-based devices were flexible, but not THAT flexible. My wife ordered an Ojo for herself, so I'm looking forward to having two Ojos on one network.

To be fair: I should note that if you're planning to use the Ojo to make H323 calls (in other words, calls to other VPs), it will only support one Ojo since the H323 protocol only allows one VP behind the firewall. HOWEVER: you can still have as many SIP Ojos in the network but they won't be h323-enabled.

Excuse me,, I never seen that Snapsvrs OJO portable phone.. that not what I have. I got black OJO look different then the one you show on Portable OJO. It was not on that list I see on the web site. So far I like OJO VP ,, But I can tell you that OJO VP will not work with Sorenson VP. You must have same OJO VP to work with other OJO VP. I have tried testing that with Soreson VP with OJO with a a friends.. it don't work that way.

That isn't true, I have tested and yes it works but not as great as it should be. The VP number will not work, actually Sorenson VP number system work only with Sorenson VP products, same way with SnapVRS VP number system as well. So is D-Link I-2eye has its own VP number system and all of these three number systems are not interchangeable and have nothing to do with Telephone companies at all.

The solution for Sorenson VP to OjO is use public IP address not private IP address as most thought it is. Unfortunately most IP address in residential is DHCP, meaning that they will change over time.

Excuse me,, I never seen that Snapsvrs OJO portable phone.. that not what I have. I got black OJO look different then the one you show on Portable OJO. It was not on that list I see on the web site. So far I like OJO VP ,, But I can tell you that OJO VP will not work with Sorenson VP. You must have same OJO VP to work with other OJO VP. I have tried testing that with Soreson VP with OJO with a a friends.. it don't work that way.

That isn't true, I have tested and yes it works but not as great as it should be. The VP number will not work, actually Sorenson VP number system work only with Sorenson VP products, same way with SnapVRS VP number system as well. So is D-Link I-2eye has its own VP number system and all of these three number systems are not interchangeable and have nothing to do with Telephone companies at all.

The solution for Sorenson VP to OjO is use public IP address not private IP address as most thought it is. Unfortunately most IP address in residential is DHCP, meaning that they will change over time.

Acutally I have tried using IP address with Sorenson with a friend and a friend try to use my IP address to call me on OJO.. still it not working for some reasons that it seems not accpeting the call. Are you postive it works with Soreson? :cool:

I have few friends that got OjO and called me, and I did call them too. Works like charm. The only thing that sucks is video quality.

Please remember there are two IP addresses involved, one we called private address, for example 192.168.0.125, 192.168.1.125 will not work at all. What you need is public IP address to call your friends.

The Public IP address and Private ip address, whats difference? The answer is very obviously yet people got confused. Private IP address means it is private from the world, and no one can see it, while public IP address is of course public and world can see them, that is how other VP finds other VP.

If you have OjO, and wanted to know your public IP address. I am not sure how to find on OjO, but you can go on your computer type in WhatIsMyIP.com and that is public IP address you need.

If you type in whatsmyip.com and you got the answer, give that answer to your friend and have him or her call you with that Public IP address.

For Sorenson VP, it is very easy to locate the public IP address and it is 99.99% guarantee to work. Go on VP, click Setting --> Network --> Public IP and on the first line you will see "auto-detect public IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)" you see your public IP by that (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and use that. :)

Acutally I have tried using IP address with Sorenson with a friend and a friend try to use my IP address to call me on OJO.. still it not working for some reasons that it seems not accpeting the call. Are you postive it works with Soreson? :cool:

This is from SNAP's FAQ's

FAQ - How do I receive a call on my Ojo from a VP?

To receive a call from a VP or D-Link, they must dial your IP address. Your IP address is displayed on your main screen along with your Ojo number. You will see the video quality may be different when you are connected with VPs and D-Links. This is because the old technology has more limitations and internet speed requirements than the newest technology only offered by the Ojos. So the picture you see of your VP caller is only as good as his VP allows.

Snap!VRS Video Relay Services | Sign Language Telephone Communication

I would like to get an OJO so I can chat directly with Deaf friends instead of using Relay. But OJO costs $300 for the equipment, and $14.95 per month for service. Ouch!

Maybe someday....

I would like to get an OJO so I can chat directly with Deaf friends instead of using Relay. But OJO costs $300 for the equipment, and $14.95 per month for service. Ouch!

Maybe someday....

You can call them by using a webcam or any other H.323-enabled video device. However, I did notice that when I called my VP-200 from my Ojo, the video quality on the VP-200 was quite bad while the video quality on the Ojo was good. This is probably because the VP-200 uses H.263 video codec (i.e, MPEG2) while Ojo uses H.264 (i.e., MPEG4). This means Ojo sends video data at half the rate as a VP200, which cannot decode MPEG4 data into MPEG2 data without compromising quality.

You can call them by using a webcam or any other H.323-enabled video device. However, I did notice that when I called my VP-200 from my Ojo, the video quality on the VP-200 was quite bad while the video quality on the Ojo was good. This is probably because the VP-200 uses H.263 video codec (i.e, MPEG2) while Ojo uses H.264 (i.e., MPEG4). This means Ojo sends video data at half the rate as a VP200, which cannot decode MPEG4 data into MPEG2 data without compromising quality.
That information is good to know. Thank you.

I don't think I can make any equipment purchases now. I just found out this afternoon that my work hours have been severely cut, so I can't afford anything now. :( Oh, well.

Reba,

Get in touch with the folks at Snap. I believe the prices were recently lowered.

Maybe someday....

Reba,

Get in touch with the folks at Snap. I believe the prices were recently lowered.
Really? I just checked the website a few days ago. I'll check again. :)

For those of you who have an Ojo, what was the wait time? I found out a few days ago that my application was accepted, but there's a long waiting list, and no one at snap seems to be able to ballpark when I might get mine.

Applied over a year ago, and I don't know whats up with them anymore. Sure they contacted me and said I was approved, but that was 3 months ago. I think they are hiding something.

For those of you who have an Ojo, what was the wait time? I found out a few days ago that my application was accepted, but there's a long waiting list, and no one at snap seems to be able to ballpark when I might get mine.

Have some patient otherwise if you aren't patient, buy one.

Applied over a year ago, and I don't know whats up with them anymore. Sure they contacted me and said I was approved, but that was 3 months ago. I think they are hiding something.

There has been an explosion of deaf consumers applying for an Ojo. So, the wait time has become long. I have an Ojo myself - took a while for it to arrive, but it's well worth the wait. I find myself using SnapVRS services often than any other VRS providers.

Bottom line: FOOK Sorenson! They keep track of how many times you call Soreson VRS. I still have a VP100 and Sorenson REFUSES to upgrade me to the VP200 because they say that I don't use their VRS services as often as they hope I'd do. Well.. they just fooking lost a customer! Good riddace, Sorenson!

I have few friends that got OjO and called me, and I did call them too. Works like charm. The only thing that sucks is video quality.

Please remember there are two IP addresses involved, one we called private address, for example 192.168.0.125, 192.168.1.125 will not work at all. What you need is public IP address to call your friends.

The Public IP address and Private ip address, whats difference? The answer is very obviously yet people got confused. Private IP address means it is private from the world, and no one can see it, while public IP address is of course public and world can see them, that is how other VP finds other VP.

If you have OjO, and wanted to know your public IP address. I am not sure how to find on OjO, but you can go on your computer type in WhatIsMyIP.com and that is public IP address you need.

If you type in whatsmyip.com and you got the answer, give that answer to your friend and have him or her call you with that Public IP address.

For Sorenson VP, it is very easy to locate the public IP address and it is 99.99% guarantee to work. Go on VP, click Setting --> Network --> Public IP and on the first line you will see "auto-detect public IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)" you see your public IP by that (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and use that. :)

The OJO's now list your Ojo phone number AND your public IP address at the main screen. No need to go to WhatIsMyIP.com to find your public ip address. Problem solved.

Back