Sleight of Hand

English Idiom meaning - someone who has lots of style

point index finger at person
grab shirt at left shoulder with right f shape hand and pull up slightly
place palms together at left side of face and rest left cheek on top of right hand
f shape hand to right side of face and pull outward to side repeatedly (as if stroking
a whisker)

Thank you.

Meaning=Something that will never happen.

1. Left hand "D" hand, held upright. Right index finger circles clockwise around D hand and stops on left index tip.

2. Right hand palm down, fingers forward, under chin. Flap hand up and down.
Repeat one or more times.

3. "Y" hand, palm down, near shoulder, move forward, up, and away from body.

Ha ha ha, my favorite saying. Kay made a plaque for me saying, "When pigs fly!"

This ASL idiom is a single sign repeated, often three times.

Depending on the situation and your facial expression, it can mean, “What are you doing?” . . . with eyebrows raised or following a “you” sign.

It can also mean, “How do I get out of this mess?” . . . with a helpless look or following a “me” sign.

The basic sign that is repeated may be done differently by different ASL authorities, but the most common I’ve seen is:

1. Both hands open and relaxed, palms down (or facing a bit forward), in front of the torso.

2. Move the hands sideways and back.

3. To sign the idiom, move the sign sideways and back at least three times.

What is the idiom?

This ASL idiom is a single sign repeated, often three times.

Depending on the situation and your facial expression, it can mean, “What are you doing?” . . . with eyebrows raised or following a “you” sign.

It can also mean, “How do I get out of this mess?” . . . with a helpless look or following a “me” sign.

The basic sign that is repeated may be done differently by different ASL authorities, but the most common I’ve seen is:

1. Both hands open and relaxed, palms down (or facing a bit forward), in front of the torso.

2. Move the hands sideways and back.

3. To sign the idiom, move the sign sideways and back at least three times.

What is the idiom?

DO DO DO! Who is the woman in your avatar?

Kay, my girlfriend. We're on the winding stairs of Yaquina Head Lighthouse on the Oregon coast.

You are a nice looking couple!

Meaning=I won't allow this to happen.

1. Left hand in front of chest, palm down, fingers together. Right hand, fingers together, goes gliding across left hand, little finger touches top of left hand.

2. Point at self.

3. Flat hands, one palm up, one palm down. Reverse.

4. Flat hands on chest. Remove and replace a bit lower on abdomen.

Thanks. Ha ha ha, it's lucky that Kay is cute enough for both of us.

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

Thanks. Ha ha ha, it's lucky that Kay is cute enough for both of us.

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

No need to shout! I was just happy I figured out the ASL idiom. As an oral educated person, I don't know many. I guess I am getting my deaf culture education in a late age.

Anyway, your turn Chase.

Chase, I am trying to come up with a sign for Sleight of Hand.

What do you think of this:

Left hand flat palm up in front of body.
Place F shape hand on top of palm and
use stylized spelling of Fox.

Does that convey the meaning for our game?

Chase, I am trying to come up with a sign for Sleight of Hand.

Cath, this is not very supportive. Sorry. I asked my sister, the self-styled know-it-all about the deaf world (and almost everything else). I explained that you are an innovative, creative person, but she insists that we should avoid creating new signs. There is already enough confusion with different signs that have grown naturally out of the far-flung deaf culture.

Diane says there’s already a natural, more or less standard sign for "sleight-of-hand": With both hands palms outward at shoulder height, they catch nothing, then open up to let “nothing” go, sometimes with a little move to the side.

It’s also the ASL sign for "magic," "prestidigitation," etc. To sign "magician," you follow the magic sign with both open hands extended out, waist high, about the width of your body.

Maybe some AD interpreters could give opinions.

This is another deaf idiom. It’s two words performed with a single sign. It means “totally interesting,” fascinating,” “that has my complete attention.”

Both open hands move towards your own wide open eyes, then pretend to clutch them into tight fists, making the signs for “grasp,” “snatch,” “grip,” etc.

Impossible for me. Maybe " I throw my eyes at you"

Give more information, or better yet just tell the answer and give a different clue.

I can understand how guessing at the precise words in deaf idioms is difficult, as most idoms are hard to figure outside their culture.

The idiom for "getting my attention" is grab-eyes, and that's what the sign tries to say.

This next one is both an idiomatic figure of speech and also can be literal.

The sign is to hold one 5-hand palm-up while the other plam-down 5-hand continually sweeps the upturned hand in a circular motion.

The literal meaning is to hide an object under something like a tarp or to obscure the view.

The figurative meaning is to suppress information or create a false story to deceive.

Cath, this is not very supportive. Sorry. I asked my sister, the self-styled know-it-all about the deaf world (and almost everything else). I explained that you are an innovative, creative person, but she insists that we should avoid creating new signs. There is already enough confusion with different signs that have grown naturally out of the far-flung deaf culture.

Diane says there’s already a natural, more or less standard sign for "sleight-of-hand": With both hands palms outward at shoulder height, they catch nothing, then open up to let “nothing” go, sometimes with a little move to the side.

It’s also the ASL sign for "magic," "prestidigitation," etc. To sign "magician," you follow the magic sign with both open hands extended out, waist high, about the width of your body.

Maybe some AD interpreters could give opinions.

Well I like the concept of "Magic Hands"
I think I'll use that sign for this game unless someone else viewing has another idea?

I can understand how guessing at the precise words in deaf idioms is difficult, as most idoms are hard to figure outside their culture.

The idiom for "getting my attention" is grab-eyes, and that's what the sign tries to say.

This next one is both an idiomatic figure of speech and also can be literal.

The sign is to hold one 5-hand palm-up while the other plam-down 5-hand continually sweeps the upturned hand in a circular motion.

The literal meaning is to hide an object under something like a tarp or to obscure the view.

The figurative meaning is to suppress information or create a false story to deceive.

Boy this one has me confused. I thought the hide sign was with the upturned hand sweeping the palm down hand in a circular motion. Or maybe my dyslexia is kicking up. Camouflage? Nah, that's not it?

Back