Sleight of Hand

This is another deaf idiom from when my sister and I were kids. I know it isn’t one we made up, because I’ve seen other deafies do it; however, it may be regional, as I haven’t seen it in Oregon.

The single word ASL sign means, “I’m done,” “No more to be discussed,” “It’s all over.”

You sign: <show backs of both hands in front of you, shoulder high, and fingers spread. Then flip your hands palms forward and empty> When you turn your hands forward, you mouth the word “FISH!” and give a look of disdain.

I never saw this. Does it mean "you are not good enough" like small fish.

I never saw this. Does it mean "you are not good enough" like small fish.

Nope. The mouthed word just looks like "fish." It is only a non-hearing person's approximation of the word being signed. The English word begins with FI and ends with SH.

The meaning is "termination" or "end," but the deafie idiom is "No more . . . I'm done!"

Yep. "Finish" is the word that's morphed into the joke idiom mouthed by deafies who've had enough: FISH.

Of course the sign means "finish," "finished," "done," "end" and has nothing to do with seafood . . . but that's how idioms work.

Your turn, Fredfam.

meaning = to do the something someone else has done because you
couldn't think of your own idea

using right hand with y hand shape and palm facing out, touch thumb to
right cheek and pull away from cheek towards the right side. repeat several
times

(since I am a Hearie, native Deafies please let me know if you think
these signs "work" and are understandable for the meaning, as I am making
these up myself. I want to compile a list of the best ones and the funniest
ones for a book! What do you think Chase?)

meaning = to do the something someone else has done because you
couldn't think of your own idea

using right hand with y hand shape and palm facing out, touch thumb to
right cheek and pull away from cheek towards the right side. repeat several
times

(since I am a Hearie, native Deafies please let me know if you think
these signs "work" and are understandable for the meaning, as I am making
these up myself. I want to compile a list of the best ones and the funniest
ones for a book! What do you think Chase?)

I didn't mean I was making up the signs, only the combinations of them:shock:

A Phenomenon of nature.

Both hands open, palm down, fingers spread. From top of head level, ripple fingers as hands go down.

Thumb and index finger come together and pull away from side of mouth. Repeat.

Pat thigh, bring hand up, snap fingers. Repeat.

Ha ha ha, excellent! Very common signs strung into an idiom deafies will recognize.

Raining cats and dogs?

I was showing my girlfriend's grandson the ASL sign for dog, and as soon as I patted my thigh, the family dog wagged his way over to us. Masin cried out, "Grams, look! Oakley (the dog) knows sign language!" The sign for dog is truly a "natural" sign if there ever was one..

Ha ha ha, excellent! Very common signs strung into an idiom deafies will recognize.

Raining cats and dogs?

Hooray for me!

You too of course Chase since that is correct.

Your turn.

Thanks. I e-mailed my big sister in Rodeo for help. Wow! She jogged my rusting brain with a ton of deaf idioms from our childhood.

Here's one signed with a glare to someone and thumping the fist side of the I-hand three times against your own sturnum.

The related English words are "me, myself, and I." The deaf idiom means "you are too self-centered" . . . "you think only of yourself."

What is actually signed?

Thanks. I e-mailed my big sister in Rodeo for help. Wow! She jogged my rusting brain with a ton of deaf idioms from our childhood.

Here's one signed with a glare to someone and thumping the fist side of the I-hand three times against your own sturnum.

The related English words are "me, myself, and I." The deaf idiom means "you are too self-centered" . . . "you think only of yourself."

What is actually signed?

I, I , I you

That's it! In fact, you said the complete idiom by adding the accusing finger pointing to the egotist.

Your turn.

That's it! In fact, you said the complete idiom by adding the accusing finger pointing to the egotist.

Your turn.

Thank you.

Meaning=Bad vehicle purchase.

Left hand extends flat, palm up. Right hand shows back, comes toward receptive person, from back edge of left hand.

L-hand,thumb on chin, L rolls to horizontal position, while lips purse.

You describe signs very well. In my mimd's eye, I see "bought a lemon." Am I close to the idiom you have in mind?

wow I'm still thinking about the I,I,I, You idiom. My brain is realing going back and
forth from English Idioms to ASL idioms. Way cool! Botts, is the description of the
sign for lemon, thumb on chin and rotating the actual way to sign lemon? I don't know
the sign for lemon.

wow I'm still thinking about the I,I,I, You idiom. My brain is realing going back and
forth from English Idioms to ASL idioms. Way cool! Botts, is the description of the
sign for lemon, thumb on chin and rotating the actual way to sign lemon? I don't know
the sign for lemon.

I told you the real sign for lemon. I will only tell you real signs.

Now I am going out to dinner. Back later. Have fun you guys.

Botts, is the description of the
sign for lemon, thumb on chin and rotating the actual way to sign lemon?

To answer for Bottesini while she's out, ASL-Pro shows the sign for lemon exactly as Botti described.

Like lots of ASL signs, there are variations. One is to rotate the Y-hand (for yellow) then bring the index to puckered lips for "sour."

Sternberg's ASL Dictionary shows two others.

Back