Sleight of Hand

To answer for Bottesini while she's out, ASL-Pro shows the sign for lemon exactly as Botti described.

Like lots of ASL signs, there are variations. One is to rotate the Y-hand (for yellow) then bring the index to puckered lips for "sour."

Sternberg's ASL Dictionary shows two others.

I am back. My Sternberg ASL is from 1987. Only shows the one you described.

You know it is your turn don't you Chase?

Chase, short notice I know but we will be having a Deaf Chat Coffee at 9:00 am
tomorrow at the Fat Cat Coffee shop on main street in Willamina Oregon.

The Address is 317 NE Main street.
It is accross the street from Bank of America.
Hope you can make it! Every one is welcome.
Two of the young girls working there know a
little sign. One girl was born with something
wrong with her inner ears but was corrected
with surgery later at age 4. But she has still
maintained an interest in ASL. Hope you can
make it!

You know it is your turn don't you Chase?

I completely forgot!

The ASL idiom for the above is two words, two signs in any order.

1. Touch the fingertips of the B hand, palm down, to the center of your forehead. Then place both hands side-by-side at shoulder level, palms out, fingers up except for the middle finger pointing out. Drop both of these signs to torso level.

2. Or the two hand sign can be made first, with the B-hand fingertips ending on your forehead. The order doesn’t matter in ASL.

As have lots of signs, the idiom has morphed into one fluid sign:

Touch the middle fingertip of the open hand with other fingers pointing up on the center of your forehead, then pull the open hand with the bent middle finger off to the side, as if removing the thought from your brain.

The two-word idiom means, “I completely forgot,” “It slipped my mind,” “I can’t think now.” What is it?

I completely forgot!

The ASL idiom for the above is two words, two signs in any order.

1. Touch the fingertips of the B hand, palm down, to the center of your forehead. Then place both hands side-by-side at shoulder level, palms out, fingers up except for the middle finger pointing out. Drop both of these signs to torso level.

2. Or the two hand sign can be made first, with the B-hand fingertips ending on your forehead. The order doesn’t matter in ASL.

As have lots of signs, the idiom has morphed into one fluid sign:

Touch the middle fingertip of the open hand with other fingers pointing up on the center of your forehead, then pull the open hand with the bent middle finger off to the side, as if removing the thought from your brain.

The two-word idiom means, “I completely forgot,” “It slipped my mind,” “I can’t think now.” What is it?

Think disappear?

Think disappear?

Close enough. The old deafie idiom is "mind blank" or "blank mind." It's mostly used by older deafies, but is still in Sternberg's ASL Dictionary.

Your turn.

Meaning=Heavy imbiber

1. Make half-circle with hand with opening pointing up. Tip it back against your mouth.

2. Fists palm down, except index fingers outstretched. Bring together the index fingers one or more times.

3. Open right hand, palm face left, fingers forward. Hand waves right,and left, and moves forward.

Meaning=Heavy imbiber

1. Make half-circle with hand with opening pointing up. Tip it back against your mouth.

2. Fists palm down, except index fingers outstretched. Bring together the index fingers one or more times.

3. Open right hand, palm face left, fingers forward. Hand waves right,and left, and moves forward.

Ha ha ha, good signing. Drinks like a fish?

This is more a simile than an idiom, but it was used colloquially to mean “very deaf.” It’s older than “deaf as a post” and comes from Psalms 58:3-5 in the King James version of The Holy Bible. In those days it was presumed these earless beings were totally deaf.

1. Make the sign for "deaf."

2. Make the sign for “like,” “same,” “similar.”

3. Make the natural curved two-finger sign meaning for "poisonous reptile."

The deaf thing in the simile/idiom is specific, so this might take some research or guessing.

This is more a simile than an idiom, but it was used colloquially to mean “very deaf.” It’s older than “deaf as a post” and comes from Psalms 58:3-5 in the King James version of The Holy Bible. In those days it was presumed these earless beings were totally deaf.

1. Make the sign for "deaf."

2. Make the sign for “like,” “same,” “similar.”

3. Make the natural curved two-finger sign meaning for "poisonous reptile."

The deaf thing in the simile/idiom is specific, so this might take some research or guessing.

Deaf like adder?

Meaning=Worthless

1.Right "Y" hand, thumb touch forehead, shake back and forth across forhead several times.

2. Thumb and fingers grasp imaginary cap brim, pull it down on head.

3. Pinch earlobe. "Y" hand pivots at wrist and is shaken back and forth.

Meaning=Worthless

1.Right "Y" hand, thumb touch forehead, shake back and forth across forhead several times.

2. Thumb and fingers grasp imaginary cap brim, pull it down on head.

3. Pinch earlobe. "Y" hand pivots at wrist and is shaken back and forth.

More information. Meaning= Worthless mistaken for valuable.

Alternate sign for 1. Hand cupped around nose, flick it away with disdainful expression. This does away with need for sign 2.

Good. My next wild guess would have been "clown's earring," ha ha ha.

This two-word ASL idiom means gullible belief, but sounds like something a bigger sea creature does to smaller swimmers.

It is a shortened form of the English idiom, “hook, line, and sinker.”

1. The tip of the index finger traces a line from chin down the neck to the notch of the collar bone.

2. The right hand is held palm-to-torso fingertips on the heel of the left hand, while the forward-pointing fingers are extended and joined, undulating like a fishtail.

Good. My next wild guess would have been "clown's earring," ha ha ha.

This two-word ASL idiom means gullible belief, but sounds like something a bigger sea creature does to smaller swimmers.

It is a shortened form of the English idiom, “hook, line, and sinker.”

1. The tip of the index finger traces a line from chin down the neck to the notch of the collar bone.

2. The right hand is held palm-to-torso fingertips on the heel of the left hand, while the forward-pointing fingers are extended and joined, undulating like a fishtail.

Swallow fish

Thank you.

Meaning= Pay attention

1. Crossed "K" hands move forward together in a short arc.

2. Point at self.

3. Right "5" hand, palm forward, moves toward receptive person.

4. Right index finger touches right ear.

Back