Sim-comm

Yup, like Jenny said, the question for me is how to access classes. I'm no where near fluent in ASL, don't know PSE, and my first language is English. I can speechread pretty well, but it's impossible in a lecture and exhausting getting what I can. I have given up on the idea of Sim-Comm for this year, but next year I am going to push for either Sim-Comm or CART, and not let them give me any less!!!
Thanks,
*EQL*
Have you ever had success using an oral transliterator?

Another option could be sign-supported speech.

what would be the difference between those and sim-comm?
*EQL*

Sign Supported Speech is more like what I was doing, but my understanding is that it is SEE with mouthing. It is tedious and I can't sustain it for more than a few minutes without intense thought :giggle:

Oral transliterator basically mouths all of the words, without signing. I have used them before and it is painful! Your eyes will want to commit suicide after a few minutes. Especially if you are using your FM too because listening to the prof and then watching the mouthing that happens with a few second delay you will be hard.

Oral transliterator basically mouths all of the words, without signing. I have used them before and it is painful! Your eyes will want to commit suicide after a few minutes. Especially if you are using your FM too because listening to the prof and then watching the mouthing that happens with a few second delay you will be hard.

Is the idea behind this that even as the professor moves around you maintain a good view in order to be able to lipread what's being said?

Is the idea behind this that even as the professor moves around you maintain a good view in order to be able to lipread what's being said?
It's also helpful in case the professor has a beard, mumbles, speaks with an accent, etc.

Ya, thats pretty much what my friend came and did for me to help the first day that my FM broke. Eye Suicide, but better than nothing.
*EQL*

Sign Supported Speech is more like what I was doing, but my understanding is that it is SEE with mouthing. It is tedious and I can't sustain it for more than a few minutes without intense thought :giggle:

so should i be asking for sign supported speech or Sim-Comm?
*EQL*

so should i be asking for sign supported speech or Sim-Comm?
*EQL*

Really, what I would do, is ask to be there with your accessibility services person and interview interpreters. Sitdown, have a conversation with them and see what works.

Really, what I would do, is ask to be there with your accessibility services person and interview interpreters. Sitdown, have a conversation with them and see what works.

hmmm... i never even thought of that. Good idea! I will be here for the summer too, so i will be around to do that!

*EQL*

Back