Sim-comm

Be a dear and give me that list! :wave:

EQL, we definitely have to get together when time is best for you.

Smile!

Do you work during the day? If not, hows Feb 10th? Jenny invited me to a club meeting from 7-10pm, but i'm off the whole day so I can come earlier.

*EQL*

Do you work during the day? If not, hows Feb 10th? Jenny invited me to a club meeting from 7-10pm, but i'm off the whole day so I can come earlier.

*EQL*

yes! The Deaf knitting group!

On Feb 5th there is an ASL Club movie night too!

yes! The Deaf knitting group!

On Feb 5th there is an ASL Club movie night too!

What time is it? Not sure if I can afford to come to both, but we'll see. PS - i'm going to go to BRCD winter retreat.. did you decide if you will volunteer or not this year?

*EQL*

What time is it? Not sure if I can afford to come to both, but we'll see. PS - i'm going to go to BRCD winter retreat.. did you decide if you will volunteer or not this year?

*EQL*

I don't think so at this point. Life has kind of taken over this past week and I have no time for anything! Boo!

Knitting is not required!

I don't think so at this point. Life has kind of taken over this past week and I have no time for anything! Boo!

Knitting is not required!

Boo! Anything of interest in your life that's taken over??

And the meetings.. the others who are attending, are they fluent in sign? (just curious!)
*EQL*

Thanks, i'm studying in St Catharines, which is why i think it's difficult for them to find an interpreter (or maybe they've just stopped trying?).

Mrs Bucket I would love to get together and chat sometime!!

*EQL*

Oh, I live in St. Catharines. You must be studying at either Brock University or Niagara College.

My daughter's teachers (at a bi-bi school with several acoustic access classes for the CI/HA/CODAs) tend to use sim-comm with parents or visitors to the school, so any all-ASL or all-spoken English participants (even if just in the vicinity) are included in the conversation -- but they DON'T use it with the students in the classroom for the reasons others have stated: they don't want either language to be taught incorrectly at this critical learning stage.

It's great for me, receptively, bc I use it to expand knowledge of ASL vocabulary even if the grammar is off. And everything doesn't have to be repeated twice over (or worse, parts of the conversation skipped) for one language or the other.

I'm pretty much amazed at how fluidly they do it -- but even so, the level of discourse suffers, it's only OK if you keep it on a really basic level. For me, speaking English and signing ASL simultaneously would be like speaking English and writing Mandarin at the same time -- wouldn't happen.

The interpreters at the school (who are heroic) shift quickly between the two languages -- may seem like simcom, but if you look closely, you'll see that they are using both English and ASL grammar -- depending upon which way they are translating, and the overlap of gestures/vocals is very slight.

My daughter's teachers (at a bi-bi school with several acoustic access classes for the CI/HA/CODAs) tend to use sim-comm with parents or visitors to the school, so any all-ASL or all-spoken English participants (even if just in the vicinity) are included in the conversation -- but they DON'T use it with the students in the classroom for the reasons others have stated: they don't want either language to be taught incorrectly at this critical learning stage.

It's great for me, receptively, bc I use it to expand knowledge of ASL vocabulary even if the grammar is off. And everything doesn't have to be repeated twice over (or worse, parts of the conversation skipped) for one language or the other.

I'm pretty much amazed at how fluidly they do it -- but even so, the level of discourse suffers, it's only OK if you keep it on a really basic level. For me, speaking English and signing ASL simultaneously would be like speaking English and writing Mandarin at the same time -- wouldn't happen.

The interpreters at the school (who are heroic) shift quickly between the two languages -- may seem like simcom, but if you look closely, you'll see that they are using both English and ASL grammar -- depending upon which way they are translating, and the overlap of gestures/vocals is very slight.

Right, but remember for Lisa, we aren't talking about her language aquisition suffering or there being a language delay. She already HAS language. I agree, don't use SimCom with little kids, but a student in her 20's in University who is looking for a way to access her classes.

Right, but remember for Lisa, we aren't talking about her language aquisition suffering or there being a language delay. She already HAS language. I agree, don't use SimCom with little kids, but a student in her 20's in University who is looking for a way to access her classes.

I agree too.

example of SimCom

mouth movement (with or without voice) Are you going to New York?
sign YOU GO NEW YORK?

example of SimCom

mouth movement (with or without voice) Are you going to New York?
sign YOU GO NEW YORK?

I was under the impression sim-com often compromises both English and ASL grammar since most people don't have the mental coordination to think in two separate grammars. So someone would either sign PSE "Are you going to NY?" or would voice/mouth "You go to New York?"

I was under the impression sim-com often compromises both English and ASL grammar since most people don't have the mental coordination to think in two separate grammars. So someone would either sign PSE "Are you going to NY?" or would voice/mouth "You go to New York?"

It depends on the person. When I am using SimCom I tend to leave out function words in the signs but mostly use English word order.

So mouth "Are you going to NY?" and sign "You going NY?"

The point is understanding. I the communication is clear, understandable, and effective for all involved that is how it should be.

It depends on the person. When I am using SimCom I tend to leave out function words in the signs but mostly use English word order.

So mouth "Are you going to NY?" and sign "You going NY?"

The point is understanding. I the communication is clear, understandable, and effective for all involved that is how it should be.

I can either sign ASL with no voice or sign English order PSE with voice, but I can't voice English order and sign ASL order! Anyone who can do that impresses me.

I can either sign ASL with no voice or sign English order PSE with voice, but I can't voice English order and sign ASL order! Anyone who can do that impresses me.
simultaneously - no :shock: / alternatively - yes :)

Yup, like Jenny said, the question for me is how to access classes. I'm no where near fluent in ASL, don't know PSE, and my first language is English. I can speechread pretty well, but it's impossible in a lecture and exhausting getting what I can. I have given up on the idea of Sim-Comm for this year, but next year I am going to push for either Sim-Comm or CART, and not let them give me any less!!!
Thanks,
*EQL*

Sim-comm seems like that a good idea! if you can get it , then you should try it

Back