Sign Language

illustrator

Reaction score
Where or when did you learn how to use sign language?

It's odd to me for first time to answer the question.. But intead.. I asked myself several questions. How do I know I sign that well? Supposely, school has teach me how to use SEE language. Until, I discover ASL from my big brother who went to SWCID and RIT. It still doesn't complete change me forever for me to be prefer in ASL but narrow both of them: ASL and SEE.

Originally posted by illustrator
It's odd to me for first time to answer the question.. But intead.. I asked myself several questions. How do I know I sign that well? Supposely, school has teach me how to use SEE language. Until, I discover ASL from my big brother who went to SWCID and RIT. It still doesn't complete change me forever for me to be prefer in ASL but narrow both of them: ASL and SEE.

ASL and SEE is what you call PSE.

I do use PSE sometimes but that's depend on how I talk and who am I talking to.

I can be full ASL sometimes.

My first sign was Dog when I was 5 or 6 months old. Sign language is my first language because one of my older sisters is deaf and my mom is an interpreter. I sign English/ASL (PSE whatever you call that!)

I was taught sign language the SEE language at age of 1. But I was forced to learn how to speak, lip read at age of 2.

I have went to mainstreamed school all of my life, eventually the SEE language I have learned was slowly converted into ASL. Boom! When I arrived to RIT, it was ASL all th way! I still lipread, talk in good English, and sign.

Originally posted by BostonIceFire
I was taught sign language the SEE language at age of 1. But I was forced to learn how to speak, lip read at age of 2.

I have went to mainstreamed school all of my life, eventually the SEE language I have learned was slowly converted into ASL. Boom! When I arrived to RIT, it was ASL all th way! I still lipread, talk in good English, and sign.

:thumb: Yeah, I have a friend who do exactly same as the way you are. But only thing is that she grew up with deaf parents.

I started learning at deaf camp in july/august for a week back in 1997. I am still learning sign language to this day and am trying to plan on registering for taking a asl class.

My first sign was "up" when I was (unknown) months old. Sign language is my first language because one of my older brother is deaf and my mom is only person learn to sign languages after she discovered that her very first child was deaf then later, me.

Our home sign lauguage is different than my outside deaf world's sign language. i can change the different type of sign language before i walked in our home.

:dunno: I never a use Sign Language. But when i dont know how to Sign Lanuage. DAMN IT!! :cry:

I was young, I'm lil bit learn about basic sign language from Lion Camp and met my deaf neighbor too. I was teenager, in Louisiana School for the Deaf, I have class for learn sign language and now I'm still used alot sign language since school.

I didn't learn sign-language until I moved to Texas. I went to CID, an oral school in St. Louis, Missouri when I was little. After moving to Texas, I went to mainstream school with a deaf program and that's where I begin learning sign-language.

12 , Queensland School for the Deaf........:thumb: .....It was illegal because they wanted to teach us oralism........which was ok but sign language won out!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I learned how to sign (Home Signs) basically at 2 years old then when I went to oral school for deaf at the age of four, I started to learn SEE then when I was at high school, I strongly fingerspelled the word all the freakin' time....right after I graduated from high school I start to learn ASL at the age of 18. Right now I can sign all of the type of sign languages but depends on who I am talking to.

i learned sign language probably at 3 when i went to school, and i was also taken to have speech threapists too so i dont know my first sign language word is. *shrugs*

When I first learned sign-language, I learned SEE. When I entered 8th grade, I met a new deaf guy who knew ASL so it was a challenge for me to learn how to communicate with him using his own sign-language. By 10th grade, I met more people at school and at church who used ASL. Now, I'm mixed... so I'm currently PSE.

Back