Sign Language

First learn sign languages SSE (Sign supports English) when i was 4 year old i think, then become fluent BSL user when i was around 12 year old!

Hmm. I was born into a hearing family so I speak most of the time. I learnt sign language when I was in pre-school. Had been mainstreamed for the past **counts years** 6 years and I'm still mainstreamed...... But I sign more often now,

Learn sign language when I was...

I learn sign languages when I was 18 months old. The sign language teacher from mainstream school comes over to my parent's house to teach my mother, my sister and me SEE until then I meet a new interpreter for my school which is PSL (PSE whatever) until then I join TSD that how I learn mix sign languages PSL.

I learn sign Language in Newfoundland School for the Deaf, when I was 5 years old. I use full ASL.

started when i was 16. my first exposure to sign language was interacting with my litttle bro and his friends. from there i hit the books and learned from the deaf community when possible. i basically learned ASL first, then SEE sign so i could provide a more complete service in my profeesion. i'm 32 now and learning more everyday. one of my clients just showed me a new one.
this sign suggests you appreciating what someone has done or will do and that you will repay them in some aspect. ie. you buy me a soda. i sign with an h handshape, thumb up wiggling up and down. this suggests that i will get you next time. peace

Learned at college in my freshman year to fufill my foreign language requirement

I started signing when I was about 9 or 10 yrs. Im HOH and Oral but I had to learn to sign cuz I need to communicate to other deafs when i got transfered to deaf school. Man i remember saying what so many times when sign to me. :o But they were nice and they helped me. Im a fast learner.

ahhh i learned ABCs but nothing else when i was in elem until beginning of repeat 4th grade - i learned how to sign (SEE) then i entered ISD in 8th grade ... totally converted to ASL

Deaf family - it says all about my end when it comes with learning ASL.

But, I used SEE and PSE, mixed with ASL when I went to the day school during my whole childhood (Lake Drive), *yea, I was confused for a while with my language identity* until I went to MSSD for the first time... and people made fun of me, due to my SEE and ASL mix... so I simply omitted the SEE mix and had been dramatic with my ASL feature ever since... but I can sense some strong SEE/PSE root inside me, due to this school - even though I came from a deaf family.

Originally posted by Aphrodite
Deaf family - it says all about my end when it comes with learning ASL.

But, I used SEE and PSE, mixed with ASL when I went to the day school during my whole childhood (Lake Drive), *yea, I was confused for a while with my language identity* until I went to MSSD for the first time... and people made fun of me, due to my SEE and ASL mix... so I simply omitted the SEE mix and had been dramatic with my ASL feature ever since... but I can sense some strong SEE/PSE root inside me, due to this school - even though I came from a deaf family.

I have this experience before.. First, I was learn SEE through Regional Day School for the Deaf at hearing elementary school and the teacher of that school come over to my parent's house to teach my parents (of course my parents is hearing) the SEE. I realized that SEE is terrible sign language because use sign language mostly with the letter of "ABC" instead of body languages (ASL). So I've been use SEE from elementary school until I was in 7th grade when I met a interpreter of mine for the Jr High School (Middle). She is the PSE interpreter. She taught me some of ASL. Second, when I was in 9th grade, I moved to Austin, Texas for Texas School for the Deaf. They make fun of my sign language, even make fun of my skinny. So it bothersome so I decided move back home and go to Sherman High School with same interpreter that I met that who is PSE. I went through High School during my sophomore school year. Third, I realized that I knew most of the student at Texas School for the Deaf was making fun of me that I withdraw from TSD so I decided and move back to TSD and the student was in big gulp and react that I was back. Finally, I went back to TSD for my junior school year and senior school year. I learn alot of ASL from my friends and staff at TSD. Now I graduated from TSD in 1999 and feel alot better after learn ASL now I'm currently use PSE because of my parents still use most of SEE and I did taught my parents some of ASL. :)

When my parents found out that I was deaf, they went to adult school to learn sign language (SEE). They say my first sign was "ice cream" LOL. Since then, I was educated in SEE until high school when started to use ASL more and more. In college, I learned ASL much more throughly by talking with ppl and so on. Sometimes I do catch myself signing in SEE depending on some ppl I talk with, like hearing ppl. Also, I learned LSF (French SL), some BSL and some DGS (German SL). When I came back from Germany, I had hard time to be back to ASL again, 'cos I still sign few words in LSF or DGS. LOL But I teach ASL classes, and I remember to sign in ASL only!!! LOL

I asked my mother what word I first signed... she told me my first signed word was bathroom "pee" in another word I really have go bathroom!

Originally posted by kuifje75
When my parents found out that I was deaf, they went to adult school to learn sign language (SEE). They say my first sign was "ice cream" LOL. Since then, I was educated in SEE until high school when started to use ASL more and more. In college, I learned ASL much more throughly by talking with ppl and so on. Sometimes I do catch myself signing in SEE depending on some ppl I talk with, like hearing ppl. Also, I learned LSF (French SL), some BSL and some DGS (German SL). When I came back from Germany, I had hard time to be back to ASL again, 'cos I still sign few words in LSF or DGS. LOL But I teach ASL classes, and I remember to sign in ASL only!!! LOL

heh same here.. my parents learned that I was deaf when I turned one year old they went to college to learn how to use sign language my first word was "sun" no wonder I love bein in sun and gettin tan :laugh2:

I learned SEE first when I was a frosh in High School, then two years later, I learned ASL. Then I am mixed now. I even took some ASL classes in an university, and boy, it was challenging because so many new signs to learn so fast. I have been signing PSE since then.

Originally posted by ChelEler
I learned SEE first when I was a frosh in High School, then two years later, I learned ASL. Then I am mixed now. I even took some ASL classes in an university, and boy, it was challenging because so many new signs to learn so fast. I have been signing PSE since then.
I was almost like that. I was oral in preschool. Started learning SEE in elementary school. Met a few ASL friends in junior high and high school. Started using ASL interpreters in college. Since then, I've been learning more ASL so my sign language is now PSE.

Back