Sick of this

DeafDoc and jillio, u Jewish<part> too? As someone who is female Jewish bisexual with LD , with Roma <Gypsy> and possibly Native heritage and having been in Special Ed. as a child, I understand being on the "outside" looking "in", or having another perspective. Having LD helped me a lot when I worked with people with alleged mental retardation, autism, etc.
When I was in college - at a very white/non-diversified small-town school for certain reasons at the time which did not work out - some school group put on this program which involved a "cultural awarenes" role-playing game. Or they tried to - hardly anyone came. And they had all these little nametags for people put on that had words that identified them differently than what they actually were - for example, a student who was white or Christian <which was 99% of the students there > would wear a tag that said "African-American" or Jewish; someone who was straight would wear a tag from the GBLTQ spectrum and then there would be a role play involving this. As it turned out, there were very few tags left for me to wear.......

DeafDoc and jillio, u Jewish<part> too? As someone who is female Jewish bisexual with LD , with Roma <Gypsy> and possibly Native heritage and having been in Special Ed. as a child, I understand being on the "outside" looking "in", or having another perspective. Having LD helped me a lot when I worked with people with alleged mental retardation, autism, etc.
When I was in college - at a very white/non-diversified small-town school for certain reasons at the time which did not work out - some school group put on this program which involved a "cultural awarenes" role-playing game. Or they tried to - hardly anyone came. And they had all these little nametags for people put on that had words that identified them differently than what they actually were - for example, a student who was white or Christian <which was 99% of the students there > would wear a tag that said "African-American" or Jewish; someone who was straight would wear a tag from the GBLTQ spectrum and then there would be a role play involving this. As it turned out, there were very few tags left for me to wear.......

Interesting..:hmm:

This thread made my head bounce all over the place.. SOOO in conclusion, deafteen is upset that people argue their thoughts and opinions on a forum where people do this kind of thing? and just so I am clear, this site is for Deaf people? :giggle:

Here is what I say you should do step away from the computer take a deep breath and ignore it because you will learn that there are some pretty militant deaf people out there. You have got to get a thicker skin and roll with it honey I refuse to let those type of post ruin my fun on Alldeaf or any other site I may go to. Let it go and enjoy the site : )

This thread made my head bounce all over the place.. SOOO in conclusion, deafteen is upset that people argue their thoughts and opinions on a forum where people do this kind of thing? and just so I am clear, this site is for Deaf people? :giggle:

:lol:

Yay! And that's a moderator who told you so!:applause:

okay I wanna understand, so if there is topic about like what was brought up with multicultural "tolerance" thoughts/being minority, etc, since that is not specifically about Deaf, if I want to reply I need to start a new thread? :aw:

hearing are or are not allowed? I am confused-

okay I wanna understand, so if there is topic about like what was brought up with multicultural "tolerance" thoughts/being minority, etc, since that is not specifically about Deaf, if I want to reply I need to start a new thread? :aw:

hearing are or are not allowed? I am confused-

Everyone is welcome to this site, I was making a joke ;)

I can very much understand where deafteen and typing are comming from. People can be very disrespectful of other people's view points. Some people have thicker skins then others. So they stay.

I do feel sad about certain people who don't stay though. People like fredfam, Niko, sweetmind etc...

It would be really great if people could accept diversity of opinions rather then cutting people down to size whenever they don't agree with us.

Although saying that, there has been a mother of a deaf child who seemed for whatever keen to promote the oral only aproach. I don't know if my own posts came across as attacking her. They never were meant to be as when parents of deaf children persieve themselves under attack it can be counterproductive for the child. I'm all for diversity of opinions but in this instance oralism tends to strike a nerve with me and I never want anyone to suffer in the way some deaf people have suffered through language depravation or just not fitting in.

I can very much understand where deafteen and typing are comming from. People can be very disrespectful of other people's view points. Some people have thicker skins then others. So they stay.

I do feel sad about certain people who don't stay though. People like fredfam, Niko, sweetmind etc...

It would be really great if people could accept diversity of opinions rather then cutting people down to size whenever they don't agree with us.

Although saying that, there has been a mother of a deaf child who seemed for whatever keen to promote the oral only aproach. I don't know if my own posts came across as attacking her. They never were meant to be as when parents of deaf children persieve themselves under attack it can be counterproductive for the child. I'm all for diversity of opinions but in this instance oralism tends to strike a nerve with me and I never want anyone to suffer in the way some deaf people have suffered through language depravation or just not fitting in.

Thank you Dreama. I agree.

When people come here to ask. I dare to say, ask. They will get their answers from all sides of the deaf community.

AllDeaf as diverse as it is. :lol:

People just have to understand that all deaf people are not alike. We are all just as diverse as the hearing community. We have folks that are completely deaf and content with out hearing aids. We have deaf people that wears hearing aids. (some are fluent in ASL and some not) We have our CI memebers. Etc.

So it is just like going into any other thread. Asking for an opinion. Everyone has one.

If someone comes in here with a strong hearing view thinking their way of living is superior to the deaf way of living, then that person is gonna get a lot of opinions against that!

I agree Dreama, it just frustrates me so much hearing about other people who dont want to come to the site because of all the problem and disagreements among us all. If anybody wants a rant, rave or a chat is welcome to PM me.

I agree Dreama, it just frustrates me so much hearing about other people who dont want to come to the site because of all the problem and disagreements among us all. If anybody wants a rant, rave or a chat is welcome to PM me.

If everyone agreed with each other all the time on every subject. Then it would be a boring forum.

We are all different with different opinions. People will stand up to what they believe in. It is what makes all of us unique and interesting.

Back