Shut up and sign!!!!

Thanks everyone for responding. I feel much better now :).

I have two hearing children, and they both know some signs, but they prefer talking to me because they know I can hear and understand them so well without having to sign, but they do know signs & are learning new signs everyday for emergencies like when I lost my voice, when I can't wear my HA/CI, sore throat, or whatever. They are very interested in learning new signs & remembering what they've known but for now they just forget to use signs, so I let them talk because I know that as they get older, they will get more interested in signing again & will sign more with me. So, I'm not that worried right now. :)

Just do what you feel comfortable doing with your children & ignore others if they get upset. I've had friends who were upset with me for not forcing my kids to sign! :/

The 6 year old may have no "concept" of deafness- try and get her to cover her ears (like with hands or earmuffs) and then speak to her, and then sign to her- that might create the connection that speech = not understood and sign = understood.

Hi... It's been a LONG time since I've visited this website so I am sorry if this is a little late. LOL

I am the mother of 4 precious children and all of them KNOW sign as well as my husband who is hearing. FYI, my kids are 9, 6, 4. and 3 and I used to struggle with them sometimes when they talk without signing. As a general rule of the house, if I'm in the room, they must start signing or leave the room. LOL

Anyway, my husband and I decided to make it a game. We would set a certain time where they are not permitted to use their voice. At first, we would set it for 30 minutes daily and then gradually add more time... we still play that game almost daily and the kids seem to enjoy it.

Just play with it and see when the best time is and how much they can handle and remember, just have fun! Just throwing an idea out there...

That remind me never to get children. ^^; I don't like the idea that children forgot to sign despite knowing I will not understand them at all.

You sure that's a good reason not to have children of your own? It doesn't take that long and your child will remember to sign to you a lot quicker, especially if you're a lousy lip-reader, lol.....

I use both sign asl with my voice to my daughter, so when she get a little older she will understand mommy signs because she deaf. So when She get to be at a certain age to ask me question what is deaf and why I'm deaf I will be able to explain that to her when she older.

Very interesting! ! I use sign ASL with my two kids. They always sign ASL without their voice to us as parents.. Everytime,They see hearing people, They do use their voice without sign.. That is really interesting! But, Im so GLAD that my 2 kids know how to sign veryyyy ASL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:afro:

M-

Then if a deaf person has no spoken language, or cannot lip-reading others, then I would understand why children should be able to use signs with their parents. That would be the same goes for hearing parents to learn a new language if their deaf child doesn't have any speech skills.

Right..

Very interesting! ! I use sign ASL with my two kids. They always sign ASL without their voice to us as parents.. Everytime,They see hearing people, They do use their voice without sign.. That is really interesting! But, Im so GLAD that my 2 kids know how to sign veryyyy ASL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:afro:

M-

You're lucky ;) ( I believe you have a deaf son, HoH daughter and hearing son -- you mentioned in the other thread ;))

For myself, I still live with my parents, but due to move out soon. My whole family signs, but they tend to forget I'm here and they got used with my talking and they can understand. I talk with my voice on and sign at the same time.

I wonder if hearing children from hearing parents who are not native English speakers face the same issue? Do they forget and speak in English to their parents?

I have seen this with Hispanic children and their parents.
The children use English all day in school then will say
something in English in front of their parents and the
parents will ask for it in Spanish. I also have seen a lot
of little children being interpreters for their parents like
this as well.

I saw a video tape of a Coda mom with her little 10 month old
hearing baby. That baby knew that she could listen to her moms
voice and she knew also that to get Grandmas attention she had
to nudge Grandma with her head while Grandma was holding her.
At 10 months she knew she couldn't coo and gurgle to get Grandmas
attention. It was amazing!

I saw a video tape of a Coda mom with her little 10 month old
hearing baby. That baby knew that she could listen to her moms
voice and she knew also that to get Grandmas attention she had
to nudge Grandma with her head while Grandma was holding her.
At 10 months she knew she couldn't coo and gurgle to get Grandmas
attention. It was amazing!

Kids are amazing with the things they know and do. My other baby (19 months old) will vocalize to get her father's attention but wait until I look at her before she starts to say/sign something to me...she knows. :).

Kids are amazing with the things they know and do. My other baby (19 months old) will vocalize to get her father's attention but wait until I look at her before she starts to say/sign something to me...she knows. :).

Yea, that's interesting and I agree that kids are amazing!

My 2 year old son will use spoken language without signing with my hubby and use sign language without his voice with me. He is already able to switch but I wonder why he wont use both at the same time...it is interesting.

Really? And he's only 2 years old. Smart little Cookie, huh?! I'm curious...when he's talking to your husband (without signing) does it bother you that you are missing out on his words/conversation?

See that's my secret (I guess not so secret anymore now I'm practically announcing it to the world) fear - my daughters will just prefer to talk to their father than to me because it is much easier.

Maybe I'm worrying too much...I've missed out so much on my own family growing up that I'm so determined not to be shut out from my own children. I guess this is how hearing parents may feel about their deaf children when they feel they aren't learning signing fast enough or good enough???

Yea, that's interesting and I agree that kids are amazing!

My 2 year old son will use spoken language without signing with my hubby and use sign language without his voice with me. He is already able to switch but I wonder why he wont use both at the same time...it is interesting.

If it's ASL that's being used, I don't see how anyone can sign, using ASL and simultaneously speak in English.

Anyway, cute.....

Back