Should I dye my hair?

Hannah louise

Reaction score
Hi!
Im a 14 yr old girl and i have sandy hair colour (at least, thats what my mum says)
my mate used to call me a ginger as an insult, then i got my hair cut into a bob and then she says the ginger has gone in my hair cause i got it cut. My mate is a ginger herself she maybe she was jus doin it cause she was jealous!!(;
i asked my hairdresser about det my hair dyed in a golden/honey colour and she jus looked at me and said "umm... It is honey coloured?"!
So i was thinking of doing a home dye and colouring it a blondier, golden colour.
What do you guys think?

It can be fun to experiment with hair color, but I notice that your post is all about what other people tell you.

Do you like the color you are now?

Going blonder is trickier than going darker, especially if you are a natural ginger. If you change it, I'd recommend doing it at a salon rather than at home, especially the first time.

Or else try a "semi-permanent" or even a "washes out in 12 shampoos" color, so there is less of a commitment if you don't like it.

Good idea, BG! Yes, you cannot undo hair dye... so if you do it and hate it, remember you'll still need to go to school. Get an adult to help you with it. :)

Whatever you do, do not use permanent hair dye without a professional. My feeling is that a 14 year old probably shouldn't do permanent anything, but that's just my opinion. Beachgirl had many good points. I'd just say don't do it for other people- you should do what makes you feel good.

Whatever you do, do not use permanent hair dye without a professional. My feeling is that a 14 year old probably shouldn't do permanent anything, but that's just my opinion. Beachgirl had many good points. I'd just say don't do it for other people- you should do what makes you feel good.

I agree she is a little young to be fooling around with a permanent hair color. I used to used lemon juice to try get a blond streak in my hair and I was older. I had the blond streak in front so I could hide it when my dad was home.

Don't do a whole head - you will have unsightly roots very fast,
and it is SUCH an inconvenience for a LONG time!

If you have to dye your hair- but sit on it for at least a week -
do the streaks, please.

Fuzzy

My experience with being Irish and having some red highlights is that if you color your own hair it turns out more of an orange color then blond. Going to the salon is time consuming and lots of money. You'll have to go about every 3-4 months. Good luck!!!!!

Don't do a whole head - you will have unsightly roots very fast,
and it is SUCH an inconvenience for a LONG time!

If you have to dye your hair- but sit on it for at least a week -
do the streaks, please.

Fuzzy

Yeah , I stopped coloring my hair as I got tried of having the roots growing out.
I have brown hair and I was having my hair dye a reddish brown.

Hey, you cannot go wrong with purple! :D Just saying! Now, if I can only convince my gf to dye her hair purple... darn it!

Hey, you cannot go wrong with purple! :D Just saying! Now, if I can only convince my gf to dye her hair purple... darn it!

LOL. You should be in Minnesota then, viking fans color their hair purple!

I'm partial to cotton candy pink myself. :giggle:

LOL. You should be in Minnesota then, viking fans color their hair purple!

I'm partial to cotton candy pink myself. :giggle:

I don't mind pink either, but I think my gf would die if her hair turned pink! :P

Try dye your hair iridescent purple (deep "bright" purple). It's attention getter. Anyone can spot you hundred feet away among crowd :rofl: My co worker had dyed her hair iridescent purple and I can spot her 200 ft from machine platform where I was standing regardless if her head peeks out of corner!!! :lol: .

Catty

Thanks, guys for all your advice!
I'm allowed to get my hair dye on account that the dye is a normal colour!
I most definately will be going for a dye that last around 8 weeks.
My hair is sandy with natural blondy higghlights going thru it, not ginger even though I'm irish!
I'm thinking of going for a colour simular to mine but a lil lighter in colour- to be exact: l'oreal casting creme golden honey, i think it's called. If you google it, it'll come up!:)

Make sure you do a strand test first. A lot of people (maybe most?) skip that step. But it's the only way you can know how the dye will come out on your own hair.

I started dying my hair when I was 13 years old and have been ever since then. I have had almost all colors except for platinum blonde. Almost 30 years of dying my hair. lol

Soon as my hair grows out on the left side (shaved for surgery)...I'm thinking of a Strawberry Blonde. Tried on a wig that color not too long ago and liked it.

Right now, I do look "one-sided" ...:giggle:...shaved on the left, and shoulder length on the right...So I wear my favorite "I Love NY" Hat or a scarf/

Soon as my hair grows out on the left side (shaved for surgery)...I'm thinking of a Strawberry Blonde. Tried on a wig that color not too long ago and liked it.

Right now, I do look "one-sided" ...:giggle:...shaved on the left, and shoulder length on the right...So I wear my favorite "I Love NY" Hat or a scarf/

Maybe you can get those hair extenders and attach to your hat. That way you look more balanced!

Maybe you can get those hair extenders and attach to your hat. That way you look more balanced!

Never had any hair extenders, but it's a good idea, tho'...but in my case, doctor said to leave the ear open/clear & clean so the hole will heal and close...so no hair around the left side....plus the ointment I have to use is very greasy....In a few months, things will look better.

Back