Answer to the Question Title:

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
So, you would rather the kids not have homework... but make friends and excel in sports? Why not both?

Doing things hands-on is what helps us learn. Teachers teach us how to do it. We apply it through homework and studying. If homework is done moderately, we can do homework and still have time to participate in sports and play with friends. I always had homework, but I still had time to do basketball, baseball, soccer, bowling, and volleyball... and still had time to play with friends, watch television, and play video games.

There are too many hours into homework that eats into those "so called free time". I had at least few overzealous or nazi teachers assign me homework every single year without fail. I have not learnt anything from them but wasted time. There should be regulations against those teachers assigning extreme amounts. There are longer school days nowadays if not they're planning on adding more time, so what free time besides activities?

There are too many hours into homework that eats into those "so called free time". I had at least few overzealous or nazi teachers assign me homework every single year without fail. I have not learnt anything from them but wasted time. There should be regulations against those teachers assigning extreme amounts. There are longer school days nowadays if not they're planning on adding more time, so what free time besides activities?
I had homework every night, but still had enough free time to watch televison, play video games, go outside, play sports (bowling, baseball, basketeball, volleyball, etc... I was on several teams), go to friends' houses, etc. :)

We have kids here locally, that get picked up by the bus at 8:30am as classes start at 9am. (I know, that's real late) Most of these kids don't get home from school until 6 or 7pm. When are they supposed to have time for homework?

These days, more kids are in 1 parent households, so they have more to do around the house than a lot of kids in 2 parent households. Also, if there's no one there, the kids are not reminded that they have homework. Yes, they should remember themselves, but after a full day of whatever, I forget things. I still can't believe that some teachers actually have only 30-35 minutes in class to teach. All my classes were 70 minutes long. The first 5 for attendance and the last 5 to make sure we wrote out the homework assignment. When our teachers thought we were getting too stressed, they would assign a fun homework assignment that still counted toward our grade. I had a Creative Writing teacher who loved to assign this one piece of fun, and I recently found that she kept it until her death last year at age 84. Yes, she was still teaching and had 100% participation and all her students made great scores. The fun assignment too a week to do, but we had to do a 1000 word essay on any book we wanted as long as it was a high school or higher level book. The main catch was, she wanted it written backwards so you had to use a mirror to read it. That was fun. I still have my essay that I did on the Iliad.

Still debating?

Anyway, giving the students homeworks DON'T mean that their teachers are lazy! They give homeworks to make sure that the students understand what they talked about in class. That's one of the important reasons.

Still debating?

Anyway, giving the students homeworks DON'T mean that their teachers are lazy! They give homeworks to make sure that the students understand what they talked about in class. That's one of the important reasons.

It is on topic debate so it will still debating and debating.

It never end the debate, though.

Wirelessly posted

Everyone knows there are teachers and then there are teachers. All of us at sometime in the course of our student life, have had good teachers whom we will never forget what they taught us. Then there was also the not so good teachers whom we could never retain what they taught, but we do remember vividly the negativity or boredom which caused us to dread their class.

A good teacher, within the limitations of time, will engage the students in a love for learning that the students will leave the classroom with a hunger to learn more on the subject on their own accord. Thus, eliminating the need for homework. Homework, more often than not, is handed out to 'fill in the gaps' of where the teacher has run out of time. Much of which the student comes home and does not have a clue as to how to go about the assigned task. I am not saying that is in every case, but it is common enough.

Last edited:
I agree that teachers need to teach the subject material properly in the first place but if the student doesn't apply the material, and repeat it, it won't be retained or developed. Think of ASL. The best teacher in the world can't develop fluency in a student who doesn't practice, practice, practice. People who want to improve their reading and writing skills can't do that without doing lots of reading and writing. Math skills are use it or lose it skills, and boring as it may seem, the more practice examples one does, the more that process "sticks." Any skills that require physical activities (dance, sport, welding, culinary, piano) depend on repetition of using muscle groups in sequence and combination. Who are the computer wiz kids? Those who not just know the procedures but use them over and over again.

There is only so much a teacher can do. The student needs to put in some effort, too. That can't be accomplished during the short classroom periods.

If students don't read the chapter the night before class, then it's so much harder for them to follow or participate in the next day class lecture and discussion.

I do expect homework loads to be age appropriate and not just busy work.

Not only this, but giving homework is actually more work for most teachers, because they will sometimes have to collect it and grade it, or spend valuable instruction time checking it. :doh:

Because if you don't check homework, then no one will do it...

In other words, homework for students now means homework for teachers later. :squint:
(also sometimes teachers have to take tests and quizzes home to grade them).

Not only this, but giving homework is actually more work for most teachers, because they will sometimes have to collect it and grade it, or spend valuable instruction time checking it. :doh:

Because if you don't check homework, then no one will do it...

In other words, homework for students now means homework for teachers later. :squint:
(also sometimes teachers have to take tests and quizzes home to grade them).
I was replying to one older post by BecLak quoting "I believe that assigning homework makes the teacher lazy."

You are right to the point that the teachers are always busy (opposite of lazy) to grade homeworks and tests/quizzes even at home.

I wonder if teachers are required to hand out home work? If not, then not many kids would have home work as they do now. I would think that there is a rule that teachers have to handle out home work. Maybe not every day, but a good number of time.

I wonder if teachers are required to hand out home work? If not, then not many kids would have home work as they do now. I would think that there is a rule that teachers have to handle out home work. Maybe not every day, but a good number of time.
Yes, it makes sense.

Sometimes they have math homeworks once or twice a week, science homeworks on different days, reading assignments for up to one hour and so on. It may be possible that the teachers at elementary/middle schools work together to make homework schedules that make it easier for the young students.

Wirelessly posted

Practice makes perfect that is a very valid point, Reba. I also don't refute that teachers do spend a lot of time at home preparing their materials, CrazyPaul, however, as a teacher myself, and with kids of varying ages still in school. The point I was aiming to bring across in my posts was the common scenario of the teacher running out of time and hurriedly handing out homework sheets or shouting out assignments as the students are exiting out the classroom door. My high-school aged daughters have often come home saying that the teacher didn't explain the subject clearly enough and/or they get homework that was NOT taught in class, so they struggle to figure out what on earth is required of them with their homework. Kids are like sponges and if the lights go on for them in a subject, it is a given they will absorb more and more of their own accord. The teacher can have resources available for practice or further learning, but to have homework enforced that is what I don't agree with.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the state wants more control over the children by keeping them at school for longer hours. The children will be spending most of their waking hours at school, not with their families.

If they don't leave school until 6 p.m., in the winter they're going home in the dark. How is that going to allow them more time for outdoor activities? How is that even a safe trip home? When do they eat supper?

Might as well send them to boarding school.

Personally, I think the state wants more control over the children by keeping them at school for longer hours. The children will be spending most of their waking hours at school, not with their families.

If they don't leave school until 6 p.m., in the winter they're going home in the dark. How is that going to allow them more time for outdoor activities? How is that even a safe trip home? When do they eat supper?

Sadly, this would put childcare out of business. Usually day cares are run by business or individuals, not the state. So keep children in school longer can only help the state and hurt day cares.

As for trips, parents would have to pick up kids at schools instead of day care.

I feel sorry for Germany schoolkids.

It better not happen here in good ol' USA.

Kids in the school district I live in now have it rough in one way and easy in others and it's no wonder they graduate idiots.

Classes don't start until 9 or 9:30 in the morning, Classes are only 35 minutes in length. Younger kids are home by 2:30 and the high school students get home around 5-7 pm. I spoke with one girl in the neighborhood and she mentioned that there are on average 40-65 students in each class and she has 2 study hall times a day.

Back