Answer to the Question Title:

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
In American history course, I had to read 50 pages of note repeatedly until my brain started capable to retention the information. I had to read about 150 pages of history book. There is NO assignments but all grades are based on test, class attendance, motivation and communication with professor.

I passed the class with B.
Very interesting. :hmm:

How does an instructor judge and grade "motivation?"

Re: the link.

When I was an elementary student, I enjoyed homework. I also liked to play school at home.

In junior and senior high school, I didn't enjoy homework and did as little as possible. (Bad me.)

In college, I knew it was necessary, so I did it. Sometimes I enjoyed, sometimes not. It depended on the subject and the type of homework.

Right now, I enjoy doing the "hands on" computer assignments but I don't enjoy reading about computer subjects. I prefer to do them. But I know it's necessary, so I get my highlighter out and read my chapters. :)

I am not sure I can comment on this. In private school, we had too much homework, but managed to get good grades. I've had about 5 hours of sleep daily. We were able to get nap on school bus rides.

I used to take six classes per semester at a college. With my private school experience, it helped me prepare competing my classes. My sister-in-law did the same thing for six years. Her music program is difficult.

Ok, why not take ASL class? Who cares about homework? Just use ASL in class. You don't need to use ASL in real world or do it for assignments. After all, homeworks are ridiculous righ?

See how much ASL a person can learn this way.

I supported homework, this help reinforce the responsiblity and helps them prepare for their career. There are plenty of careers that requires one to work inside work and outside work. This is really about self discipline.

True that!

Yes, it depends on the class. At my college, some classes are every day, some twice a week, some three times a week, some are Fast Forward (half a semester), and some are internet, so we never attend class on campus. I prefer the internet classes so I don't have to commute, and I can work at my own pace (usually ahead of schedule). My college encourages students to take more classes twice a week instead of daily. They want the students to reduce commuting and parking problems.

I've never had a class that didn't include assignments (how else do you get grades?) but you are correct that every course requires preparation and study.

Interesting.

Oh I see.

Math 100 - no mandatory assignment, however professor give recommended numbers to practice like say do from 1 to 59 (odd numbers), all grades are from test and attendance.

Biology 101/103 - no assignment for main class but have to finish the lab assignment before lab class end. I have to study the notes. All grades are test and attendance

ITS - Web Development - hand-on assignment, can be finish in class every Tuesday or at home if you prefer, but if you don't finish so do it at home, the class lecture on Thursday. The grades are from assignment, test and attendance.

Art 100 - 3 assignments and 2 projects for entire semester, also have to study the notes and books. The grades are from assignment, test, projects and attendance.

I just gave 4 examples above but I took 24 credit courses and 4 remedial courses in total.

Gallaudet University is more research paper as assignment but there is very little hand-on assignments for IT courses, however you have to type 2 pages of research paper. I had math course from all weekday, except for Tuesday and mandatory assignment - due in next day - pretty like high school. I had ASL assignments too and had to use iMovie or Final Cut Pro to make ASL video.

Very interesting. :hmm:

How does an instructor judge and grade "motivation?"

You have to be ready and raise your hand.

When history teacher asks question so raise your hand and answer the question. If you have questions or make comment so raise your hand to give a question or explain about something.

Being quiet and doesn't say won't earn points to total grade.

Re: the link.

When I was an elementary student, I enjoyed homework. I also liked to play school at home.

In junior and senior high school, I didn't enjoy homework and did as little as possible. (Bad me.)

In college, I knew it was necessary, so I did it. Sometimes I enjoyed, sometimes not. It depended on the subject and the type of homework.

Right now, I enjoy doing the "hands on" computer assignments but I don't enjoy reading about computer subjects. I prefer to do them. But I know it's necessary, so I get my highlighter out and read my chapters. :)

Yup, the hand-on assignments are common in IT courses at hearing college but... NONE at Gallaudet University because you have to do essay or research paper.

I prefer hand-on assignments to essay/research paper, at least for IT courses.

Thank you for share your opinions with us.

Also, I noticed three votes favor of ban homework. I wonder, can you tell us why you support to ban homework? We are just curious.

Thank you for share your opinions with us.

Also, I noticed three votes favor of ban homework. I wonder, can you tell us why you support to ban homework? We are just curious.

I'm only one voted yes.

I supported homework, this help reinforce the responsiblity and helps them prepare for their career. There are plenty of careers that requires one to work inside work and outside work. This is really about self discipline.

Self-discipline is a learned process. For many it is a not a natural thing for them to be self-disciplined. It is a regimented process.

in uk if you asked this question you end up doing homework on that very subject why homework...my own view is double it

homework iS needed...school is only a 'guide' homework is where real effort are shown...its a time to study at your own pace, whereever, whatever fits your brains'/mindset /patterns of how you learn, everyone needs a chance to learn in the best environment for recalling and clarifying in the whatever taught at school, another reason i dont think it should be banned is that...you need to recall it in normal environment, like if its just at school the mindset of 'learning and recalling At school' becomes a problem because if this pattern sets in, lack of recall or no recall of what is supposed to be learned becomes a problem, despite 'time/place for school and work' you'd STILL needs to be Educated!!, not 'sorted out ranks' by teachers(who doubles as labour/intellectual resource sorting agency on behalf of government)

"Homework, or homework assignment, refers to tasks assigned to students by their teachers to be completed outside of class. Common homework assignments may include a quantity or period of reading to be performed, writing or typing to be completed, problems to be solved, a school project to be built, or other skills to be practiced." -- Wiki

In Dispute: Should Homework be Banned? by #inDISPUTE on deviantART

What do you think?

EDIT: This poll is settled up as a private only, so your vote with your name will not show up in the poll. Just head up, AD'ers. :)

EDIT II: I should voice my opinion on this one. I voted "Unsure" because it is actually news to me. I never thought of effects on people if they are doing homework. But, I feel uneasy about ban the whole homework because I thought it is too extreme. I kinda of agreed with one dA commenter, belle-of-kilronan.

With the way most, if not all, schools are now teaching just to pass the test, then I'd say "yes" it should be banned. If all states care about is getting teachers to make sure everyone is passing this test so politicians are happy - then what choice do they have? If teachers will one day be allowed to do their job again, then students should have homework but I've always felt it should be in moderation even then. If you're child is spending more than an hour each night trying to complete their homework then that defeats the purpose of it as well because there's no balance. Kids should have time for study and physical activity; the fact that they're now just studying for a test explains part of the obesity epidemic in this country because there's no interest in gym, exercise or anything beyond passing the test.

I have two siblings that are both teachers - one will retire in five years and really can't wait to leave the profession - and another who's not going to wait to retire because it's open season on teachers in this country. Whether they give homework or not, as things stand - nothing going on in schools today is preparing anyone for life. It hasn't been preparing them for college for quite a few years now which makes you wonder - what, if anything, are kids learning in school? I'm really glad I didn't go this route myself; teaching really sucks - it's a thankless profession with what teachers are put through.

I am a teacher myself and I have the opinion that homework is very important and vital. Responsibility is something all students need to learn, and homework helps with that skill. It also helps to reinforce what they learned that day, and helps the teacher know what the child is learning in and out of school. In addition, it allows the teacher to expand on what they learned that day and make a real-world connection.

I am against giving "too much homework"-- it is rather pointless, to me, to assign an overwhelming amount. We want to teach them responsibility, how to be organized, how to make a schedule-- and if their schedule is full of just homework, that will just discourage them or burn them out. I give homework daily but always make sure that it is manageable (and ALWAYS make sure there is nothing new on the assignment). Some students in high school are so used to teachers that don't give homework, they have no sense of responsibility and it hits them really hard when they get to college.

Homework in college can be brutal--- and they need to take baby steps to get there. Homework should be treated delicately-- not too much so they can still have fun, but not too little so they don't learn anything (And above all, lack responsibility...)

Self-discipline is a learned process. For many it is a not a natural thing for them to be self-disciplined. It is a regimented process.

ah. home-schooled.

homework. it's what separates you from buffoons :lol:

high-expectations-asian-father-B-get-in-croset-again.jpg

9c0.jpg

Back