Votes: 7 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
Pardon me? Someone told me on PM about Georgia School for the Deaf. I said nothing. I didn't research about GSD's website. I don't really care about deaf schools.

U talking about the school in Cave Springs or the one in Atlanta?

GSD in Cave Springs is still running but low enrollment, around no more than 80 students, that I got info from my friend.

It's possibly for GSD to be close if enrollment is getting much lower, it's up to state of GA.

Other deaf school in Atlanta area is still running and good, that what I noticed.

Remember about Nebraska school for the Deaf was closed in 1998 due low enrollment.

Please don't blame on her but just need correct her in civil way.

Just give advice to you.

:ty:

I am sorry about my last post. The deaf school shouldn't be shut down. I remember in California School for the Deaf in Bevelry closed long times ago. In California state have 2 deaf schools at CSDF and CSDR. CSDB have no longer. Do you know why? Can you explain?

:ty:

I am sorry about my last post. The deaf school shouldn't be shut down. I remember in California School for the Deaf in Bevelry closed long times ago. In California state have 2 deaf schools at CSDF and CSDR. CSDB have no longer. Do you know why? Can you explain?

Actually former CSDB is CSDF now.

They moved to Fremont from Berkeley due to some earthquake research done (by who?) then the land was purchased by UCB. Might be decided by the sate of Calif. probably as well.

They moved to Fremont from Berkeley due to some earthquake research done (by who?) then the land was purchased by UCB. Might be decided by the sate of Calif. probably as well.

Yup, that's right.

Oh I understand that explain. No wonder. Is Fremont safe than Berkeley? Don't you mind what is UCB mean?

I am telling you about my share from school. My school was almost shut down by school board. Deaf school suppose transfer to Indiana School for the Blind. Our School students, staffs and teachers voted NO. We wanted to stay in same campus. It was happened last 12 years ago. We didnt want get mix with ISD and ISB to ISDB. Because ISB are for hearing, hoh and deaf/blind mixed. The most is hearing more than hoh and few deaf/blind.

If my school is going to shut down. I would transfer to mainstream school like my friends' plan. Some students want to withdraw. I noticed ISD is such improving than decade ago.

Oh I understand that explain. No wonder. Is Fremont safe than Berkeley? Don't you mind what is UCB mean?

Yup, Fremont is safer for earthquake than in Berkeley.

UCB is University of California in Berkeley.

These are mine own personal observations:

I'd attended two schools for the deaf. I would not trade the expereince for anything in the world. If anything, I'd understood my parents better (with their institutional-style parenting toward me).

I'd noticed, remarkably, that those who'd attended oral schools then attended deaf schools that'd employed "total communication" as an enforced method of communication . . . these kids lacked in social skills as much as they'd excelled in education.

Deaf schools, when I was attending, sought to rectify the imbalance by employing mainstreaming (for "exceptional students") whilst, also, employing deaf school benefits.

Deaf schools are one of the foundations/pillars of the Deaf Community. I dare not deny its value because I've experienced it. Mainstreaming (something I'd, also, experienced) is a benefit that leans toward social isolation and excellent education. In short, it would appear that if you were "mainstreamed," you'd be as smart as your hearing peers while devastatingly lacking in social skills.

These are mine own personal observations:

I'd attended two schools for the deaf. I would not trade the expereince for anything in the world. If anything, I'd understood my parents better (with their institutional-style parenting toward me).

I'd noticed, remarkably, that those who'd attended oral schools then attended deaf schools that'd employed "total communication" as an enforced method of communication . . . these kids lacked in social skills as much as they'd excelled in education.

Deaf schools, when I was attending, sought to rectify the imbalance by employing mainstreaming (for "exceptional students") whilst, also, employing deaf school benefits.

Deaf schools are one of the foundations/pillars of the Deaf Community. I dare not deny its value because I've experienced it. Mainstreaming (something I'd, also, experienced) is a benefit that leans toward social isolation and excellent education. In short, it would appear that if you were "mainstreamed," you'd be as smart as your hearing peers while devastatingly lacking in social skills.

Lacking social skills towards the general population or other deaf people?

Being Deaf, good question. Afterall, the deaf should not be heard. Seriously, I'd say in general.

Being Deaf, good question. Afterall, the deaf should not be heard. Seriously, I'd say in general.

My report cards had excellent grades but in the comment sections, almost each year, there were comments of concerns about my lack of social skills.

Also I have noticed that deaf kids who come to our program from being mainstreamed have trouble with their social skills. Usually they are very immature and either act too dramatic for attention or very withdrawn.

My report cards had excellent grades but in the comment sections, almost each year, there were comments of concerns about my lack of social skills.

Also I have noticed that deaf kids who come to our program from being mainstreamed have trouble with their social skills. Usually they are very immature and either act too dramatic for attention or very withdrawn.

It is something I have observed. It was a great concern to me. When working in a social service circumstance, I'd taken that into consideration and have, yet, to be proven wrong.

I'd shared this tid-bit of observation with other professionals and they'd not found it credible because "no valid research has validated the observation."

Disappointing. I know better, though.

Wokamuka and Shel90 - Both of you are saying that deaf people who were mainstreamed have a lack of social skills, however both of you are saying that you've seen people in deaf programs who come from oral programs that fit this description. However, it seems to me that deaf children who were mainstreamed first then gone to a deaf school means that they were not happy or doing well with being mainstreamed indicating that they may not have had good communication skills with peers or teachers. What about those who are happy/doing well being mainstreamed? Still bad social skills?

Wokamuka and Shel90 - Both of you are saying that deaf people who were mainstreamed have a lack of social skills, however both of you are saying that you've seen people in deaf programs who come from oral programs that fit this description. However, it seems to me that deaf children who were mainstreamed first then gone to a deaf school means that they were not happy or doing well with being mainstreamed indicating that they may not have had good communication skills with peers or teachers. What about those who are happy/doing well being mainstreamed? Still bad social skills?

I know it doesnt apply to ALL deaf children who are mainstreamed but it seems to be a common factor among many of them. Even my friends who were mainstreamed said that they were rejected due to their social skills. I think those who act dramatically dont know how to get attention to themselves properly so they learned to get it improperly and those who are withdrawn (which I was) had their self-esteem practically ruined by their inabilty to keep up with conversations. I am sure there are those few who dont have these issues and they are the lucky ones.

That's the thing, really. I've met people who were, in the most off-putting way, happy-go-lucky members of mainstreaming. I face an observation that is based upon the majority versus a recception of, what would appear to be, a minority. Let me tell you . . . thsoe who appear happy-go-lucky are at greater risk for suicide, addiction, and a great deal of anger. Of course, it is, only, my own observation. I've had five, without a "membership" within the Deaf community, commit suicide. Maybe it's the company I keep . . . maybe it's reality.

I know it doesnt apply to ALL deaf children who are mainstreamed but it seems to be a common factor among many of them. Even my friends who were mainstreamed said that they were rejected due to their social skills. I think those who act dramatically dont know how to get attention to themselves properly so they learned to get it improperly and those who are withdrawn (which I was) had their self-esteem practically ruined by their inabilty to keep up with conversations. I am sure there are those few who dont have these issues and they are the lucky ones.

I was just asking because I wanted to see if this lack of social skills simply comes from unable to communicate with people. Seems that way to me.

Back