Shopping for Mother of Bride dress

Wirelessly posted (droid)

If all else fails you can have a seamstress make a dress for you. You get the fabric you want and a good fit. Wish that I was talented enough to sew.

Have you tried thrift stores?

Sometimes they have good stuff. Mum have been known to buy good quality cocktail suits from thrift stores so she could wear it to a wedding.

The style you found is nice. I dunno about the colouring, though. Do you look great in pastel or royal tones?

Also do you prefer it as one piece or two piece outfit?

Love your avatar. My mom wore the jetting beaded dresses two or three times in my siblings wedding. She said She likes it because it was very comfortable and looking very nice. She looks beautiful in it. She tended to chose the dark one with filled of sparkles.

Since my daughter wouldn't let me wear jeans (my preferred clothing) to her wedding, I had her and my other daughter go shopping with me and pick out dresses for me to try on. I ended up with a teal "cocktail" dress from Penny's which I could wear again (though I rarely wear dresses).
You could also consider a dressy pant suit.
And thrift stores is a good idea. A lot of people donate dresses that they only wore once themselves. After you wear it, you could donate it back to the store.
Definitely pick out something you will be comfortable in and that you can wear comfortable shoes with (I had a pair of low heals and a pair of flats).

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I love beaded dresses. So pretty.

What is the color scheme for your daughter's wedding? You don't have to match it but you probably don't want to completely clash with it either.

Also, I would avoid black or white outfits, unless the theme of the wedding is black and white.

Other than those considerations, pick a color that is flattering to your skin and hair tones.

What is the color scheme for your daughter's wedding? You don't have to match it but you probably don't want to completely clash with it either.

Also, I would avoid black or white outfits, unless the theme of the wedding is black and white.

Other than those considerations, pick a color that is flattering to your skin and hair tones.

There are too many black outfits outside of the wedding anyway. If it were me, then i would wear black dresses and I did wear the black dresses in the past. :lol: My mom wore the black background with the white and clear beaded all over the dresses. It looks very lovely on my mom. I wish i could find the picture of her dresses. She gave it to someone else.

One thought is if you happen to find a long one you like it can always be shortened to wear for something else later.

That dress is lovely. I always like the concept of "relaxed fit." May we help shop for your shoes too? :giggle:

yes about the shoes. what kind of shoes do you like, flat or platform or small heel etc? :) sallylou is so ready to help you out the shoes.

Sometimes. But sometimes that just throws the proportions completely off.
I agree.

People would be surprised how many times a long dress/suit can be worn, if you don't limit yourself. :)

I found some really NICE, NICE, NICE dresses at Goodwill in my hometown...some still had tags and were like $200...and Goodwill had them priced at $19 and $25. Wow! Of course, you'll need to have it professionally cleaned (I would do it several times, LOL) BUT hey. That's an option. :dunno:

I found some really NICE, NICE, NICE dresses at Goodwill in my hometown...some still had tags and were like $200...and Goodwill had them priced at $19 and $25. Wow! Of course, you'll need to have it professionally cleaned (I would do it several times, LOL) BUT hey. That's an option. :dunno:

But where the dresses in style? She does not want to like in the movie "Back to the Future" like MJF with his blue vest people thought was life jacket.

Oh I like all of your suggestions. I did put the purple chiffon on my ebay watch list. Oooh, shoes... I will have to buy shoes. I doubt that anyone would want me to wear my sneaks! lol

I think style is not so important so long as it isnt ancient. (like me! ha)

My daughters colors are fall, with her dress in a lovely antique ivory with tasteful seed beeds in faint lines that accent her ridiculously small waist. The dress she will wear will have a bustle.

The mother of the groom is wearing .... well, something fairly outstanding (read verrry colorful) with a mega big hat. I personally think she is gorgeous but will definately stand out.

Shoes... I wear sneaks, sandals, oh groan - socks with everything. I dont own panty hose. Will have to get a slip and proper stockings.
shoes.... I think I could wear mules, or slings with an open toe. Nothing too high since I havent worn heels since 1984. True that.

We have Sears, Penny's and Bealls. We have a few local stores with dubious local tastes. Read flounces, huge flowers, and very heavily beaded. Think drag queen on revue. (not true, most queens I have known have much better taste)
Thanks for all of the help and ideas!
Yes, shoes!

Back