Scientists work on 1000+ year lifespans!

True immortality in a perfect ageless body is available right now to any who will accept it, without the science fiction ramifications and plot holes, so I don't worry about a mere 1,000 years. :)

deafdude1 said:
If you were born 100 years ago and a "normal life" lasted 50 years but you could get the chance to live to 80, would you? Today's "normal life" lasts 80 years, are you saying you wouldn't want to live to 120+?

So, you say I should get a longevity? Well, I don't really seriously think of my own death, and I'm not afraid of death (unless, of course, I would be afraid if someone tries to kill me or something dangerous situation). I'm fine with being mortal, so I already knew there is an afterlife. :) I understand everyone don't share my belief, but why should I worry about my death?

I choose to live a very long life because I enjoy my life and there's so much I want to experience. I have no desire to commit suicide(by refusing treatment or otherwise) when I get old. There will be treatment that can reverse aging so ill be young again. What's selfish about me choosing a long life?

Cool! It'll be worthy experience to see how much different through years and years. It would be fantastically interesting to learn more about the future! That's understandable. I also understand you disagree about longevity is selfish choice, but I like to see people are able to make a choice to be mortal or immortal. If you want that choice, sweet! :) I don't want to stop you or anyone from getting a longevity for being immortal. ;) I am not interested to get it, frankly, I prefer to live normally and happily along with my friends and family. I just like that way. :)

By the way, I don't encourage you to do commit suicide. I never want to support that such thing to do. Its very depressing to watch someone ends his/her life like that...

She might be thinking of future generations.

Who would take care of the old? Do we have the right to live forever and deny potential offspring?

New children means new experiences... means new ideology... means they have the power to change the world. If everyone lives forever, or for an extended period of time, then things just... stay static.

You are probably right. I remember the last time I read some comments in another forum that DeafDude1 posted, and they said people probably will have to give up on having children if they want an immortality...

My poll in another thread shows that most people are happy to live to 100 then they want to die. Do they plan on suiciding once they reach 100? If not, what's to say they won't live much longer than that with modern medicine and technology? I will do anything to save my life, even when I get very old. There will be age reversing technologies so age will be nothing more than a number.

Not everyone wants to live forever so people will still be able to have children. Besides technology will find a way to travel to other Earthlike planets lightyears away from our Earth so no worries about overpopulation.

Science-fiction. May be possible, may not be.

Let focus on the problems of today, don't we? We've only got one shot at life.

excellent! 1000 years would be awesome! That means I could attend 1000 years worth of Raves! Plus time to do all my art projects, write books, make movies, study, read so much books, do so many things..

oh, and technology would get so much better. what if they made a pill for men that made them sexually active like a teenager? Then you'd be 300 years old, feeling vibrant like a teenager, and having so much sex! wow!

1000 years of sex!

very clever idea. To not be 1000 years old when given the choice is simply suicide.

excellent! 1000 years would be awesome! That means I could attend 1000 years worth of Raves! Plus time to do all my art projects, write books, make movies, study, read so much books, do so many things..

oh, and technology would get so much better. what if they made a pill for men that made them sexually active like a teenager? Then you'd be 300 years old, feeling vibrant like a teenager, and having so much sex! wow!

1000 years of sex!

very clever idea. To not be 1000 years old when given the choice is simply suicide.

I don't think people will be "having sex" within a century from now. There will be much better, safer, less disgusting pleasures in life. Even for those who choose not to cure themselves of their libido, sex will be done only in virtual reality or perhaps with robogirls, never with real humans. This will wipe out STDs, unwanted pregnancies and many other issues.

Speaking of suicide, you stand correct:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/health/27brod.html

If I ever seriously thought about dying at 100 when it's possible to live for over a thousand years, id seek help! There's enough things to enjoy to last many lifetimes!

Anyone remember that movie... Dynamite Man...

Where everyone had sex via that mind-link thing... then when the woman tried out physical sex for the first time with a guy from our decade... she found out it was better than the mind-linked version?

Nanotechnology and Life Extension

A few thousand years ago, people lived about thirty years. From their point of view, we have already extended our lives to an amazing degree. However, from where we stand today, we can see that we still have a long way to go. Some people still die in their 40's from cancer, heart attack, stroke, and infections. This is tragic, and frustrating. Today's medicine is only somewhat able to deal with these and other conditions--and it has barely started to attack the problem of aging. But we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

The Methuselah Manifesto - Reason Magazine

Los Angeles, California—If you’re under age 30, it is likely that you will be able to live as long as you want. That is, barring accidents and wars, you have centuries of healthy life ahead of you.

A few thousand years ago, people lived about thirty years. From their point of view, we have already extended our lives to an amazing degree.
That was true in some areas of the world at various times but that wasn't a universal life span, for "a few thousand years ago."

sex will be done only in virtual reality or perhaps with robogirls

in the lab building a robogirl, with many models all ready to be mass produced and starting a company called, "AndroMate". LOL. haha.

a great movie about a man who lives for thousands years - The Man From Earth

*warning - not for a very religious person as he/she may find it offensive and insulting.

Just in to say sex isn't disgusting.

Of course, there are disgusting moments - I could name off quite a few, but ... it adds spice to life.

golden shower?

not exactly that. That is something people partake into. There are other "accidents" that could happen. Surprise visitor, some strange juice all over the bed and you can't tell where it came from, drunk night fooling around with a strange woman at the bar on a new years and you find blood all over your fingers, the lady unleashing a nice cheese ripper while yer eatin' her, and many more... I'm sure you guys can contribute something...

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. You said, a natural death is suicide? Or do you mean PAS? :confused:

golden shower?

This is what I had in mind:
0501290205351grinding-5_t.jpg

raining%20gold.preview.jpg

This will kill the value of gold! :lol:

Nanotech could make humans immortal by 2040, futurist says

Nanotech could make humans immortal by 2040, futurist says

Back