Scientists work on 1000+ year lifespans!

She might be thinking of future generations.

Who would take care of the old? Do we have the right to live forever and deny potential offspring?

New children means new experiences... means new ideology... means they have the power to change the world. If everyone lives forever, or for an extended period of time, then things just... stay static.

You would not get old if you lived 1000+ years. Then a 300 year old person would look the same as a 30 year old today. That person would probably retire at middle age of 500 years with all the money or some form of credit saved. The right to live applies for everyone and takes precedence over offspring. Not many people would be willing to suicide just to "get out of the way" to make room for children. As for new ideas, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

People have been searching for the fountain of youth since time immemorial. It is the human fear of death and fear of their own mortality that makes them look for immortality. They would add much more to their life if they dealt effectively with their fears instead of tryin to chase down the fountain of youth.

People have been searching for the fountain of youth since time immemorial. It is the human fear of death and fear of their own mortality that makes them look for immortality. They would add much more to their life if they dealt effectively with their fears instead of tryin to chase down the fountain of youth.

look at what happened to the Spaniards when looking for Fountain of Youth in Maya. :lol:

Then whoever finds a way for 1000+ year lifespans will be the richest person on Earth. Only those who don't fear death or are suicidal won't choose to live to 1000+

Then whoever finds a way for 1000+ year lifespans will be the richest person on Earth. Only those who don't fear death or are suicidal won't choose to live to 1000+

nope. look at majority of inventors in the history. they were never rich. they never saw a dime. pitiful, huh?

And the natural consequences of a long... long lifespan is..

It's easier to wipe humans out with a single bomb due to decreased population and low fertility rate. :)

And the natural consequences of a long... long lifespan is..

It's easier to wipe humans out with a single bomb due to decreased population and low fertility rate. :)

that's why virus/bacteria... a single-cell simpleton can easily kill us multi-cells intelligent lifeforms. another pitiful thought, huh?

If we all have a lifespans around 1000 years old. I guess our retirement age will be 965 years old. That would be roughly around 950 years of working to earn a living costs. :eek3:

If I could live longer but without the effects of aging, then great! I noticed that we spend most of our lifetime "aging". Our youth is so short lived.

Fucking hell, I'm all for it.

But Mars is my childhood dream that I ever wanted to live on that beautiful planet to help humanity to grow to be become more mature. But Jiro is right, it will be all gone in the future. That means the future is in the safe hand of good humanity.

I still have the faith. But, Jiro, what about Neo-Nazis, KKK, Skinhead? Will that be gone also as well?

There are many, many of those around. And with a little age and experience under your own belt, you will come to realize that immortality is not all you thought it was in your youth.

If I am this tired now, just how tired would I be in another few decades, let alone an era? Forget it. Let me go and make room for a tiny, energetic newborn.

This reeks of Harlan Ellison....

that's why virus/bacteria... a single-cell simpleton can easily kill us multi-cells intelligent lifeforms. another pitiful thought, huh?

Many things can kill us. Tiny atoms of radation can kill us in fact! :shock:

If we all have a lifespans around 1000 years old. I guess our retirement age will be 965 years old. That would be roughly around 950 years of working to earn a living costs. :eek3:

Computers and robots will take most of our jobs in the next few decades. They would take over the world for our own protection. This could mean an utopia then! We might be treated similar to what we treat our pets by our machine superiors. The machines would provide for us just as we provide for our pets. In exchange, we would provide the machines with knowlege, happiness and love.

If I could live longer but without the effects of aging, then great! I noticed that we spend most of our lifetime "aging". Our youth is so short lived.

That could be why alot of people fear about living so long. We will find ways to reverse aging so we can all look ~30.

Mars is my childhood dream that I ever wanted to live on that beautiful planet to help humanity to grow to be become more mature. But Jiro is right, it will be all gone in the future. That means the future is in the safe hand of good humanity.

I still have the faith. But, Jiro, what about Neo-Nazis, KKK, Skinhead? Will that be gone also as well?

Youll get your chance to move to Mars if you choose to live a long life. Computers will mean an utopia with none of the bad things.

There are many, many of those around. And with a little age and experience under your own belt, you will come to realize that immortality is not all you thought it was in your youth.

A lifespan of 1000+ is not the same as immortality. To be immortal, we would have to be machines or cyborgs.

If I am this tired now, just how tired would I be in another few decades, let alone an era? Forget it. Let me go and make room for a tiny, energetic newborn.

Why are you tired? Are you tired of life? That's your choice if you don't want to live past 100. Room won't be a problem once space travel takes off and we travel to other planets light years away. I could be living 20 light years away 200 to 500 years from now!

Many things can kill us. Tiny atoms of radation can kill us in fact! :shock:

Computers and robots will take most of our jobs in the next few decades. They would take over the world for our own protection. This could mean an utopia then! We might be treated similar to what we treat our pets by our machine superiors. The machines would provide for us just as we provide for our pets. In exchange, we would provide the machines with knowlege, happiness and love.

That could be why alot of people fear about living so long. We will find ways to reverse aging so we can all look ~30.

Youll get your chance to move to Mars if you choose to live a long life. Computers will mean an utopia with none of the bad things.

A lifespan of 1000+ is not the same as immortality. To be immortal, we would have to be machines or cyborgs.

Why are you tired? Are you tired of life? That's your choice if you don't want to live past 100. Room won't be a problem once space travel takes off and we travel to other planets light years away. I could be living 20 light years away 200 to 500 years from now!

Right. Which means that aging and death are not avoided, so it is not a solution to the basic problem experienced by humanity on a global basis.

Overpopulation in any space wont fix the problem. You go on ahead, kiddo. I will stay here.

I am tired because I have earned the right to be. I have had a great life, long and exciting. Scary, loving, joyous, all of everything that I should have and more. I have seen so many things, the Freedom Riders, I remember clean ground water, ridden with bikers, hitchiked across states, met celebrities and even serial killers, held new babies, helped birthing mothers, held dying hands, put money in sleeping bums shoes. Been in love, real, true, unforgettable love. I have really EARNED the right to a natural ending at the end of a good, satisfying natural life. I lived, loved, helped, hoped.

The thing with sci fi is that it can so easily become horror.

Right. Which means that aging and death are not avoided, so it is not a solution to the basic problem experienced by humanity on a global basis.

:confused:
Trying to wrap my head around that and failing miserably, lol.

Living to 1000 years would reduce aging by a factor of over ten. In way less than 1000 years from now, we likley will find a way to reverse aging and achieve immortality(even if it means uploading your brain into a cyborg)

Overpopulation in any space wont fix the problem. You go on ahead, kiddo. I will stay here.

I am tired because I have earned the right to be. I have had a great life, long and exciting. Scary, loving, joyous, all of everything that I should have and more. I have seen so many things, the Freedom Riders, I remember clean ground water, ridden with bikers, hitchiked across states, met celebrities and even serial killers, held new babies, helped birthing mothers, held dying hands, put money in sleeping bums shoes. Been in love, real, true, unforgettable love. I have really EARNED the right to a natural ending at the end of a good, satisfying natural life. I lived, loved, helped, hoped.

Space is infinite and we aren't alone. There's enough room for all life in the universe. I haven't experienced enough in life and I feel that it would take at least a 1000 years for me to experience all that there is(and I can always repeat the experience every 1000 years) Id like to eventually experience living on different planets light years away and if I live long enough, explore some of the vast, infinite universe.

nope. look at majority of inventors in the history. they were never rich. they never saw a dime. pitiful, huh?
you are quite right, but id like to stretch it abit

funny you should say that, indeed some inventors were poor and remained poor! you see thomas Edison is a theft he stole more than just lightbulbs or radio wireless technology from others, also that famous moonshot film in the 1910's (or 1920's?) apparently he bribed the french film theater to make copies and copies... (forgot who was the original film maker but he had a french name which makes it hard for me to remember it lol, sorry frogs)
come to think of it, one might percieve that this glorification of this "great american inventor" was really part of a ploy to put on a historical stage to give America 'power'. This power, of course was only going to be "shared" as nothing more than material convenience, whereas the real vested interests lies with those capitalists in America's elite 'society'. The move was attended by Thomas Edison and the rest of the real story? well we'd never know, it would never be recorded. Historians and the like are tied up conveniently of course, just like oil and arms dealing.

So.....coming back to inventors of 'life extensions' technology, be it chemically, or biologically or with use of nanotechnology, or whatever...the scientists hitting the 'jackpot' in this kind of scientific involvement will likely to be from at least middle class and above when you consider the political backdrop as we have now as does access to 'class-defined education' (which of course this would not be acknowledged, just removed from public's attention, thanks to the Media) with due course, there is numerous ways they can be exploited, displacing the ownership of these new-found knowledge into the hands of the rich, selling to the rich. When television was invented, did everyone get it? no, and as for long life it would be highly doubtful this 'oppurtunity' be granted to the masses. blah

I believe that some deaf people were the first ones that invented good things, and some hearing people stole their invention. Like T-Ford, electric car (1900's), light bulb, airplane, some other names. What a shame! I bet that, nowadays, some new deaf people's inventions still are stolen no matter what.

Back