Schools to Stop teaching Cursive!

Just did this and scanned it. Can't write worth a darn in Paint Pad on Windows. Not my actual signature.

AllDeaf.jpg

I wrote "cursive ain't my thing" poorly.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 7
Um, I did. In fact, writing was hard for me. My fine motor skills were not where they should be, so I struggled with writing as a kid. Admittedly, my cursive was BETTER than my printing, but, that's not saying much. I can remember being VERY self conscience that my writing wasn't as "pretty" as the other students writing was. As I got older, I just learned to accept it.

This sort of bumps into another topic discussed in another thread, but as far as writing goes, it was never one of my strong suits.

As for cursive writing, I'm sad to see it go by the wayside, but I also see it as a fact of the modern age. As it's already been pointed out, we've become digitized, and personally, I think this may end up being better for all of us overall. Those that cannot adapt will have a difficult time, I'm afraid.

Nothing is wrong with my fine motor skills but I found writing by hand hard for me. I have excellent English so that wasn't why I hated writing. It's due to problems with ADD; I found it difficult to say focused on writing and I rarely write in lengthy paragraphs even with the help of computers.

I've had English teachers tell me I need to say focused on what I'm writing about.

21ov7v4.jpg

my speed writing
nv2sk8.jpg

my note-taking writing
21l99p0.jpg

I can remember my third grade teacher telling us that cursive writing would be used throughout our entire high school careers... What a liar.

I wish it had happened when I was in school . I appear much more intelligent when I type.

Poor fine motor control means my cursive writing is not good at all.

Same. In order to make my notes legible, I type them. :lol:

What experience do you have with rebellion in your life?

As far as personal involvement, basically none. I had a very lucky childhood and I saw rather little to "rebel" against. I suppose the closest "rebellion" I've participated in was the rejection of the belief systems my parents raised me in, but that's a very low-cost form of rebellion, so I wouldn't exactly go around calling myself a rebel. I've worked mostly for large corporations and waste copious amounts of time on the internet.

So, you agree that cursive writing is NOT too difficult for children to learn?

Of course not. I don't think anyone was claiming that, though I could be wrong. There's a difference between saying "I don't think we should bother teaching this" and saying "I don't think we should teach this because it's too hard". If anyone claimed the latter, I missed that.

I asked some other adults about this. They, and I, felt like we accomplished something, that we were more "grown up" when we learned how to use cursive writing in the second grade. And yes, even now, if we see a handwritten note without knowing its author, if it's printed we assume it's from a kid, and if it's in cursive, we assume it's from someone older.

That's your prerogative. But for those of us a generation or two younger than you, that simply isn't the case anymore. And I don't especially see that as a problem.

Cursive writing is more efficient. It flows better and is quicker. One tends to write out words rather than letters when using cursive.

It's more efficient if that's what you and everyone else is used to. This is somewhat reminding me of a DVORAK vs QWERTY debate. It can easily be argued that one is more efficient, and if you and everyone around you actually uses one over the other, then that might even be correct. But one format (QWERTY with keyboards, block writing with handwriting) has taking predominance.

Why are keyboarding and hand writing mutually exclusive? Why can't students learn both? I can write and keyboard equally well, as can many other people.

Well, for one, they're not. Nobody's suggesting eliminating all handwriting. But students do have a limited amount of time in the day. To add new material, you either have to get rid of older material, compress coverage (ie spend less time on the same amount of material) or go to school longer.

No, the skill is not like choosing a font style. (Although if you were choosing between Comic and Times New Roman you might make an argument. :lol: )

Eeeeew, no, we're staying far far far away from Comic Sans, :lol:. But that really is, for people of younger generations, the difference. It may not be for you, because you grew up in a different era when that was not the case, but for many people, that is the case now.

For anyone above the subsistence level of survival, there are opportunities for learning more than basic survival skills. In the USA, there are free libraries. In the home, one can watch History Channel instead MTV. Instead of buying a video game, how about buying language software, or learning a craft?

At that point, you're learning for the pleasure of learning, and for better or for worse (I'd likely agree with you that it's for worse), many people have quite simply learned (ha!) that learning isn't pleasurable. This certainly isn't the case for everyone - that's actually why I took up ASL - just because I wanted to, because I didn't know it, and because I thought it'd be fun.

If you study the people, not the just the events, of history, you'll discover that lots of common folk had more interests and skills beyond what was needed for survival. Yes, they often had to struggle for those opportunities but they got as much as possible.

Right, yes. This is similar to a modern American not only being able to do his or her job, but also being able to tell you who was on American Idol the last two weeks, who in their neighborhood is dating, are mediocre at one or two sports, and have a couple of hobbies. However, all of these latter things are different for people, and just because, say, my dad's hobby is photography, doesn't mean that it should be included in the core curriculum for every student.

Since we in America in general don't live in "shitty" conditions, we can take advantage of even more opportunities. If the schools offer more subjects without charging the families for them, why not take advantage of the opportunities? Why instead say, "Oh, that's too much, and I can't get a job with that skill"?

Besides, how do you really know what one extra skill may be the one that gives you that extra edge at job interview time? :hmm:

Because they don't want to learn them, mostly. You can't force people to learn what they don't want to learn (ask an average American about 16th century history - they probably don't remember much of anything because they didn't actually learn it, they memorized key facts and then promptly forgot them after the test).

It's not crammed in; it's already there.

And now it's being replaced with something else. Typing is the new skill that would either have to be crammed in or replacing something else with it.

I could easily read all of the cursive examples. Thanks ADers! :ty:

Jiro, I noticed that you mix cursive and print together. Still, I had no problem reading your notes. :)

Wirelessly posted

I sometimes do cursive writing for birthday cards, sign in at my dance studio, amazing it still exists there lol I have lost my penship to some degree.

If they didn't teach kids how to do cursive...then when they grow up to be adults and they will not sign in cursive...probably in a boring print which anyone could copy it easy....or what is gonna happen? :hmm:

If they didn't teach kids how to do cursive...then when they grow up to be adults and they will not sign in cursive...probably in a boring print which anyone could copy it easy....or what is gonna happen? :hmm:

As mentioned earlier, many people don't sign in cursive. That is, if they wrote their name in cursive, and then signed their name, they would very often look different.

As mentioned earlier, many people don't sign in cursive. That is, if they wrote their name in cursive, and then signed their name, they would very often look different.

:lol: Sorry I find it too funny. My gf writes in print when signing a form.

Back