Schools to Stop teaching Cursive!

I wish it had happened when I was in school . I appear much more intelligent when I type.

Poor fine motor control means my cursive writing is not good at all.

ooooooookay...another reason to why stupidity is increasing AND ending the human race.

You know, I rarely write in cursive these days. I write like a doctor.

I wish it had happened when I was in school . I appear much more intelligent when I type.

and I appear very unintelligent when I took typing in high school. I am dyslexia and for some reason it was worst when I typed! I could typed 60 words per minute , but it was backward! My teacher could not understand what was wrong. And I did not know I was dyslexia .

The only good thing about cursive is that most kids' print handwriting becomes better after they learn cursive. My kids had occupational therapy for their writing so I learned this along the way. Practically everything is typed on a keyboard now so cursive is not very important any more. I finally gave up my paper calendar when I got a droid recently. I was a hold out for my paper planner. The good thing about a calendar on my computer is that I send myself emails and text messages telling me where to be and what to do. lol

I'm going to miss cursive. It's sad that people can't even read cursive writing anymore.

I remember when I was a kid I felt that I had "grown up" when I learned cursive writing--printing was for little kids. :lol:

Cursive writing is so much faster than printing. If I had to print everything it would take too long.

If people don't learn cursive writing, how will they sign their names to official documents?

Digital signatures. You use them when you efile your taxes.

You know, I rarely write in cursive these days. I write like a doctor.

Speaking of doctors, my dad's handwriting is so bad that even my big sister's pharmacist couldn't read his hand writing years ago. He is of course a retired M.D.

As for me, I nearly always print my words instead of writing in cursive. I prefer to use the computer though.

My boys have awful cursive skills....9 times out of 10, they print...I was concerned about it last year, but the teachers said cursive skill was not a requirement.......printing was fine.....When signing my name on paper, I use both cursive and print (first and last name)....

The only good thing about cursive is that most kids' print handwriting becomes better after they learn cursive. My kids had occupational therapy for their writing so I learned this along the way. Practically everything is typed on a keyboard now so cursive is not very important any more. I finally gave up my paper calendar when I got a droid recently. I was a hold out for my paper planner. The good thing about a calendar on my computer is that I send myself emails and text messages telling me where to be and what to do. lol

I am so forgetful I think I would lose droid or small cell phone! And the numbers are so small I would have be taking my glasses off and on all the time.

I'm going to miss cursive. It's sad that people can't even read cursive writing anymore.

I remember when I was a kid I felt that I had "grown up" when I learned cursive writing--printing was for little kids. :lol:

Cursive writing is so much faster than printing. If I had to print everything it would take too long.

If people don't learn cursive writing, how will they sign their names to official documents?

That is what I was thinking!

I can certainly see why they would stop teaching it. Very few people actually write in standard cursive any more. Plus, they would be teaching a more useful skill to replace it with keyboarding. We are moving toward a paperless world. My nephew will be teaching a paperless class this fall in his high school. Text books and all on notebook.

The times they are a'changin'.

Speaking of doctors, my dad's handwriting is so bad that even my big sister's pharmacist couldn't read his hand writing years ago. He is of course a retired M.D.

As for me, I nearly always print my words instead of writing in cursive. I prefer to use the computer though.

When I was at boarding school I would write letters to my dad, and he said my writing was so bad it looked like a fly fell into a ink well and waked across the paper!! LOL!!

I can certainly see why they would stop teaching it. Very few people actually write in standard cursive any more. Plus, they would be teaching a more useful skill to replace it with keyboarding. We are moving toward a paperless world. My nephew will be teaching a paperless class this fall in his high school. Text books and all on notebook.

I'm glad that wasn't me 20 years ago. At first my dad refused to even get me a typewriter - let alone a word processor- because he didn't need one in college. I had to drop out because I couldn't keep up. Computer lab was always full so I had to wait q couple of hours to write stuff. Writing by hand for ADHD is like writing on stone tabets though I will admit that I was undx'd at the time.

To quote the beginning of the second paragraphs, it says, "Indiana's school officials have announced that beginning in the new year, teachers no longer required to teach children the ancient are of cursive."
Yeah, let's focus on proper grammar and spelling. :roll:

Is are, ummm, art next?
Phooey. :(

I'm glad that wasn't me 20 years ago. At first my dad refused to even get me a typewriter - let alone a word processor- because he didn't need one in college. I had to drop out because I couldn't keep up. Computer lab was always full so I had to wait q couple of hours to write stuff. Writing by hand for ADHD is like writing on stone tabets though I will admit that I was undx'd at the time.

Actually, my nephew wrote a grant and got the money to purchase iPads for every student in the class. Of course, they will have to return them, but still. This is a pilot program he designed.

Digital signatures. You use them when you efile your taxes.
That's not going to fly when you have to sign documents in person. Not everything is done on line.

Back