School for the Deaf denies deaf child with Down Syndrome placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think they don't have the services available to meet her needs?

This is going in a circle. It has already been stated that the school said she can't perform at the level required to qualify for their programs.

You said that yourself CSign.

They denied placement. After an observation and having access to her test results. What makes you think they can meet her needs? In order to determine that, you are going to have to access her testing records, determine what her needs are, and then list how the program in place at the school you are referring to meets those needs.

Quite an undertaking. But I will be happy to discuss the finer points of placement when you are able to achieve the above.

This is going in a circle. It has already been stated that the school said she can't perform at the level required to qualify for their programs.

You said that yourself CSign.

Agreed.

Csign, you came to this forum expecting a certain response. You want us to be outraged and view you as a savior. You deny this, but your behavior shows otherwise. You can't manipulate people into giving you a desired response.

What exactly do you expect to gain from beating this dead horse?

If the deaf school doesnt have the services then the child doesnt belong.Just making a general statement. Like we have said..if the school does have the services, appeal. I have a feeling you wanted us to go along with bashing the school. I am all for it if I have actual facts not hearsay.

If the deaf school doesnt have the services then the child doesnt belong.Just making a general statement. Like we have said..if the school does have the services, appeal. I have a feeling you wanted us to go along with bashing the school. I am all for it if I have actual facts not hearsay.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not for bashing any school; especially in a situation like this.

It's already been said, though. If this child's rights were violated, then they can take it to due process and state their case. This whole saga (8 pages now, btw) DOES NOT belong here on AD for us to hash over. With exception of a few, we're NOT experts in this matter; also NONE of us have all the facts in the case, and without facts, we cannot give an informed opinion or offer sound support for this child.

The best we can do is hope she gets the services that meets ALL her needs.

Additionally, her lower level of expressive language is such because of the Down syndrome. That is true with most kids who have DS, their receptive language far supersedes their expressive language. Put her in a class without consistent visual communication and she will flounder. She certainly wouldn't be expanding on her language if she isn't accessing it.
I mean I do think it might be possible that she could have a situtional Signed language delay, which in turn could be improved by placement in a special class.
But I thought that the expressive language delay in Down's was more due to spoken language issues like apraxia. They are then given Sign and their language level improves. Even hearing kids with Down's are exposed to Sign b/c of this delay. That is why it's a red flag. I do see both sides of the issue. There are some kids with my syndrome who function at simlair levels. (they are hoh, significently mentally handicapped and apraxia)
And yes, I agree with you, but if she was put in a SH/AAC type of class, she would not be missing out and floundering......
This is a type of class where kids with severe language (both spoken and signed) as well as kids with severe communicative issues due to significent mental handicaps learn to communicate through augmentive communcation. Which means tools like switches, signs, PECS and other things.

And Csign, there does seem to be a HUGE lack of Deaf resources for kids who are deaf and have severe secondary disabilties like more severe then moderate autism or mental handicaps.
But then again that is most likely b/c most of those kids are served in SH classes already.
I do know that the Deaf Blind Program at Perkins has opened up to deaf kids with severe secondary disabilties. Maybe they could move or send her there if she is old enough.

If the deaf school doesnt have the services then the child doesnt belong.Just making a general statement. Like we have said..if the school does have the services, appeal.
Actually I'd reword that, to the child wouldn't be served well.
Seriously, appeal and or find schools that would offer more of what she needs.
It would be essentially like putting a kid who is moderately severely mentally disabled, in a program specificly for kids who are mildly mentally disabled. (and this is a population that has a HUGE HUGE range of functioning within the label)
It does sound like she's basicly like a deaf-blind multihandicapped kid, without the blind aspect of it. Which is why they opened up admissions at Perkins for deaf with severe disabilties in the deaf-blind program.
We're not saying she doesn't belong at a Deaf School. We're saying that perhaps this one isn't the right fit. Not all Deaf Schools offer the same things, especially if we're talking about a low low incidence secondary disabilty. Like did you know that there is now a Deaf Autism program at Austine School?
Definitly appeal yes.....but also suggest that the parents keep their mind open as to school placement. Maybe you should ask around and see if they might have any openings at Riverside or at Perkins....or maybe look around and see if there's any AAC severely multihandicapped programs that she could do with a sign assistant.

i for one, dont think DS childs with speech impairment be using Deaf Childrens' languages, they are Hearing NOt Deaf, for all i know they shuold be using TC or signed english, and butt out. Disabled and Deaf children should not mix.

r one, dont think DS childs with speech impairment be using Deaf Childrens' languages, they are Hearing NOt Deaf, for all i know they shuold be using TC or signed english, and butt out. Disabled and Deaf children should not mix.
It's not a speech impairment. It is a language impairment. Did you know that there are CP kids who are mentally normal, but who use ASL as a first language?
Again, there are severe and profound affected kids who use signs in an AAC (Augmentive and Alternative Communciation) fashion, which is very different from using ASL as a whole sophisticated language. I do agree with you there. BUT, what about mildly mentally handicapped kids who are also dhh?

Update: the school was found out of compliance on all three issues!

They were ordered to provide student with placement, and staff is being ordered to do training on the laws they were out of compliance on. They also have to randomly select 10 files of students with multiple disabilities, and they have to review for compliance. If any are found out of compliance they have to correct it the same way as this child. Once they have corrected files from the first batch, they have to repeat the process again until all files/ students are in compliance!

I'm very happy for this child, she will be in an environment that is accessible for her. Yeah!!!

Which school? Home school or Deaf school? And, since the issue has been resolved, how about releasing the name of the school? What 3 issues? Certainly doesn't do any good to keep hiding information, especially if parents need a head's up regarding this school.

I was clear from the start of the thread that it's the school for the deaf that was in contention. They were found out of compliance.

I most certainly will not release the name of the school. No need for parents to look out any more than they already do for their children.

The Department of Education is breathing down their necks, and any areas of non-compliance outside of this individual case will be remedied.

Heck, maybe this case will help improve education for multi kids with severe issues at that school. And hopefully the kid will improve. It is possible that she has a low vocab b/c of a simple lack of exposure. After all, it can be hard to find ASL fluent instructors. I think this case brings up the question of how to serve kids who have severe issues, who do not quite fit in with severe/profound kids (who tend to be in pedatric nursing homes, or severe multihandicapped programs) but who aren't exactly as high functioning as mild mentally handicapped kids. I think that there needs to be regional programs at the state school for the deaf for kids like this. Or maybe even open Deaf Blind multihandicapped programs for kids like this, like they've done at Perkins.
Kids like this are REALLY low incidence, and very hard to serve.

I was clear from the start of the thread that it's the school for the deaf that was in contention. They were found out of compliance.

I most certainly will not release the name of the school. No need for parents to look out any more than they already do for their children.

The Department of Education is breathing down their necks, and any areas of non-compliance outside of this individual case will be remedied.

Why not? I think people should be aware of it.

Csign, I'm thinking that if I were involved in a court case or mediation with my daughter's school, and was able to obtain the necessary remedies, I might not want the specifics -- the name of the school, people involved, etc. identified on a public forum. Not for fear of retribution, but just out of respect for the process and parties involved. And, while I'm pretty open about my own daughter's situation, I would not be happy if a third party, even someone deeply involved in negotiating the situation, as you were, decided to post identifying info on a public forum. These schools are not huge, and it would be very easy to identify the parties involved if you posted a school name.

I don't know if people want to start some kind of campaign against the school or otherwise use this case as a catalyst for taking action, but it really shouldn't be done without the consent of the child's family, if at all, given that the school is now complying, and they probably want to avoid any bad blood.

Negotiation around placement happens all the time with schools for the deaf and public schools, it really isn't newsworthy for the general public. If an AD member talks about noncompliance that she's had to overcome at a school at which she's teaching, there's not a demand for her to identify the school by name so we all can be aware.

Here's the thing, these are public schools we are talking about. They are not private entities. They are funded by the taxpayers and if some parents are to enroll their children into the school, they should be aware of its history and to be prepared for any potential situations to occur.

The school may be complying now, but that doesn't mean they won't try to pull the stunt again.

Its great that child is now at a Deaf school
It is fantastic that the school has been told to pull its head in

I hope nothing but the best for the child and ALL other deaf +s apply/go there

It would be nice to know so other people can get a heads up about what's happening with the school. If it is a state-run school, it should be public information because it is the taxpayers' money that is going to the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back