School for the Deaf denies deaf child with Down Syndrome placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've given relevant factors, and enough basic information for posters to form an opinion.

This student is deaf, uses ASL, and has an intellectual disability. The school has a program that she could be educated in without any modifications to the curriculum. If she were labeled in terms of how well she functions, she is "moderately impaired" although I don't like that terminology.

She meets all of the eligibility requirements for the school. All other placement options have been explored, and none are appropriate. One of the criterion for admission is that students who don't have other appropriate placement options get priority over other students.

The IEP team- including the school district are in agreement that the school for the deaf is the most appropriate placement for her.

It appears that you misunderstood the meaning in Bott's post.

No, her post was quite straight forward and there was no misunderstanding. I agree that it's most important she get an education in which she can absorb the information (through sign language) and "fit in" with her peers. You might think that environment is a class for severely impaired children, while myself and the IEP team see that happening at the school for the deaf.

No, her post was quite straight forward and there was no misunderstanding. I agree that it's most important she get an education in which she can absorb the information (through sign language) and "fit in" with her peers. You might think that environment is a class for severely impaired children, while myself and the IEP team see that happening at the school for the deaf.

Botts didn't enjoy attending a Deaf school. Her experiences are actually exact opposite of what you're saying.

Botts didn't enjoy attending a Deaf school. Her experiences are actually exact opposite of what you're saying.

I'm sorry to hear she didn't have a positive experience.

I
I've given relevant factors, and enough basic information for posters to form an opinion.

This student is deaf, uses ASL, and has an intellectual disability. The school has a program that she could be educated in without any modifications to the curriculum. If she were labeled in terms of how well she functions, she is "moderately impaired" although I don't like that terminology.

She meets all of the eligibility requirements for the school. All other placement options have been explored, and none are appropriate. One of the criterion for admission is that students who don't have other appropriate placement options get priority over other students.

The IEP team- including the school district are in agreement that the school for the deaf is the most appropriate placement for her.

Iam confused mn..she has an intellectual impairment but doesn't need modifications to the curriculum?

Do you mean the curriculum is specifically designed for her cognitive needs our she doesn't have any enabling her to be in a regular classroom without support?

I

Iam confused mn..she has an intellectual impairment but doesn't need modifications to the curriculum?

Do you mean the curriculum is specifically designed for her cognitive needs our she doesn't have any enabling her to be in a regular classroom without support?

What I'm saying is she could be educated without any major modifications to the curriculum. With some appropriate accomodations she'd be in good shape.

Why are you "tsk-ing" me?

Because I told you about my schooling and what would most likely happen to your DS student, you basically shoved my opinion aside to say that you agreed with me.

I know several students my age or a little older, like me, who did attend a deaf school and had the experience I told you your student will likely have. Teachers won't be there every moment to make sure she isn't bullied.

And then your comment to Souggy was really, the dismissive statement of a know it all who never had this experience.

That is why I said :tsk:.

You asked an explanation. So no need to argue.

Because I told you about my schooling and what would most likely happen to your DS student, you basically shoved my opinion aside to say that you agreed with me.

I know several students my age or a little older, like me, who did attend a deaf school and had the experience I told you your student will likely have. Teachers won't be there every moment to make sure she isn't bullied.

And then your comment to Souggy was really, the dismissive statement of a know it all who never had this experience.

I have no interest in arguing, and I was sincere in my statement that I was sorry you didn't have a good experience. I meant that. I am not dismissing anything, and your experience was real and I respect that.

As I mentioned before, there are no other appropriate placement options at this point. Maybe in the future, but not at this point. This family and school district is in a difficult position.

No, there's not enough information here to form an opinion, unless one wants to be an arm-chair diagnostician. That's why I said that I have no opinion on this particular case.

Csign, you're dismissing Bott's perceptions and feelings right now with your denial.

Yes, you are. In your post, you said that you were sincere. Apparently, your good intent absolves you of all responsibility for your words and actions. You questioned Bott's perceptions of your interaction with her. You said that you had no interest in arguing to silence her. In short, you're acting like a patronizing, hearing loser.

Bott, I know that you can take care of yourself. The words just fly out of my head to my hands on the key board, where they must be set free. lol

I made a mistake. Is should be "audist" instead of "hearing." There's a difference.

Yes, you are. In your post, you said that you were sincere. Apparently, your good intent absolves you of all responsibility for your words and actions. You questioned Bott's perceptions of your interaction with her. You said that you had no interest in arguing to silence her. In short, you're acting like a patronizing, hearing loser.

Really? Ok. Sure. You're absolutely correct.

Bott, I know that you can take care of yourself. The words just fly out of my head to my hands on the key board, where they must be set free. lol

I made a mistake. Is should be "audist" instead of "hearing." There's a difference.

Thank you.

Bottesini said, "no need to argue" and I said I wasn't interested in arguing. Very audist of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back